AutoBanter

-   4x4 (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tyres or chains? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=6626)

Lon September 26th 04 08:14 PM

Paul Rooney proclaimed:

> Thanks.
> Can you keep snow tyres on all winter and drive on snow-free roads OK,
> or do you have to keep changing them over when you get onto clear
> roads?

Some SUV manufacturers recommend leaving an all terrain tire on all
year around. Seems that the vehicle will tend to tip over less if
the tires can slide sideways when overcornered a bit.

I keep Michelins on mine all year round...the same thing that makes
them good in Sierra snow makes them good in unexpected downpours.
If I did more timber road or rocky driving would probably change
to a Pirelli Scorpion AT with the extra ply sidewalls. For
hard core rock crawling, I'd just change the vehicle.

Lon September 26th 04 08:16 PM

Generic proclaimed:

> Tires are generally safe on clear roads but the wear, noise and handling can
> be worse than a regular street tire. The mud & snow type can be incredibly
> loud vs. a street tire. It depends on the particular tire.

Yeah, I use Michelin M+S and they are not only quieter than the
original Goodyears but help gas mileage and definitely have more
traction. With a bit more ice, the Michelin Pilot helps but
so does simply using brains. The heavy steel belted Michelin
and Pirelli tend to be quieter with better highway tracking
than the plastic belted radials.

Lon September 26th 04 08:18 PM

Paul Rooney proclaimed:

> Thanks. What kind of conditions would chains be able to cope with, do
> you know?

Really really bad ice and/or packed snow. With a speed limit of
15-25 mph when attached. With limited slip and good tires, never
needed to use them in many many severe winter condition trips, but
always carry two sets.

Lon September 26th 04 08:27 PM

Paul Rooney proclaimed:

> Thanks. I'm thinking of situations when, for example, you park up at
> the top of a mountain pass (I'm in England, by the way) and go on a
> day's walk, only to find the weather turns bad and there's fairly deep
> snow by the time you get back to the car. I wonder whether chains
> would get me out of such a situation.
> There are some easy-fit chains available on the internet, though I
> don't know how easy they really are to fit in a blizzard!

A good set of chains for modern 4x4 with ABS would be something like
these:
http://www.scc-chain.com/Pages%20Tra...ucts/szlt.html

They still give a rough ride and have a very low speed limit [the
centrifugal force moves the chain outwards where it can damage your
vehicle] but excellent traction.

The nice thing about a real SUV is you normally have better clearance
to put them on. Also you should always carry a very still blade
shovel in case you need to remove ice/snow pack away from your
wheel wells in order to install chains.

A few feet of plastic fencing makes it nicer to drive onto for
installing the chains.

It would take some really severe snow to need them in the first place
though. As in snow deep enough to drag heavily on the underside of
your vehible.

Unless there is pack ice under snow, as long as the snow isn't deep
enough to drag on the body heavily, you should be able to keep moving
without chains in any good 4x4. If you want a safety measure for
hill descent, as long as you keep speed well down, I can't imagine
anything lower than a Wyoming blizzard that could stop a 4x4 with
enough power that is fitted with chains.

Lon September 26th 04 08:30 PM

Generic proclaimed:

> It'll depend on the particular conditions, but they'll give you better odds
> of getting out than having nothing. If the snow is deeper than the ground
> clearance of the vehicle you may still get stuck. The Lake Tahoe region is
> at the top of the mountains in California, so drivers passing through
> typically put chains on somewhere on the up slope and take them off on the
> down slope.

Never used them, and pass thru there frequently in winter.
You don't even need to carry chains in a genuine 4x4 with snow tires
except in the very worst conditions. And that snow is very wet and
sticky. See all sorts of Cute Utes stuck in the worst weather, but
rarely a Jeep unless the driver is an idiot.

Generic September 26th 04 10:57 PM

"Lon" > wrote in message
> Generic proclaimed:
>

> > It'll depend on the particular conditions, but they'll give you better

odds
> > of getting out than having nothing. If the snow is deeper than the

ground
> > clearance of the vehicle you may still get stuck. The Lake Tahoe region

is
> > at the top of the mountains in California, so drivers passing through
> > typically put chains on somewhere on the up slope and take them off on

the
> > down slope.

> Never used them, and pass thru there frequently in winter.
> You don't even need to carry chains in a genuine 4x4 with snow tires
> except in the very worst conditions. And that snow is very wet and
> sticky. See all sorts of Cute Utes stuck in the worst weather, but
> rarely a Jeep unless the driver is an idiot.

Yes, genuine 4x4s don't really need them. I meant cars.

I80 is plain hazardous to cars during heavy weather. My old car was COATED,
including the windows, in frozen sand spray from the SUVs with snow & muds
around me. I had to get off the road several times to wipe down the
windows.

-John

Roger Brown September 26th 04 11:55 PM

Paul Rooney wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:11:43 -0700, "Generic" >
> wrote:
>
> >It'll depend on the particular conditions, but they'll give you better odds
> >of getting out than having nothing. If the snow is deeper than the ground
> >clearance of the vehicle you may still get stuck. The Lake Tahoe region is
> >at the top of the mountains in California, so drivers passing through
> >typically put chains on somewhere on the up slope and take them off on the
> >down slope.

I carry a set of Z-chains for my 4x4, used them one and they did work
well. Was in some wet spring snow, and it was starting to freeze as the
sun went down. Had to pull 2 trucks up a steep hill, so I slapped on
the chains, at the time I was buried to the axles in deep snow and got
the chains on without having to move the vehicle:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CA-4/Ima...21/Image05.jpg
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CA-4/TR_2001_04_21.shtml

The Z-chains are nice in that the cross links cross the tire diagonally
instead of radially so you don't end up with bare tire, then chain, then
bare tire, so you always have some chain between the tire and the
snow/ice.

Normally, just airing down the tires as needed for the conditons is
sufficient. I'll drop to 10-15 psi normally and have sone as low as 7
on my 33x10.50 tires (was at that pressure in the above photo).

--
Roger

[email protected] September 27th 04 01:47 PM

I have a Tahoe Z71. I do not off road at all, but really enjoy going to
the snow. When the news says 'chains required', does that apply to 4wd
vehicles? I dont have chains, and always wonder if they are going to
turn us away.

Mark

Generic September 28th 04 02:02 AM

> wrote in message
> I have a Tahoe Z71. I do not off road at all, but really enjoy going to
> the snow. When the news says 'chains required', does that apply to 4wd
> vehicles? I dont have chains, and always wonder if they are going to
> turn us away.

Check your local laws. In many cases no, as long as you have snow & mud
tires, but it may be prudent to carry them anyway. Some people in law
enforcement follow the letter of the law. I recall riding in a front wheel
drive car in the 70s and getting hassled for having chains on the front
wheels... Took a bit of effort to convince the trooper it wouldn't work any
other way.

-John

Lon September 30th 04 03:47 AM

proclaimed:

> I have a Tahoe Z71. I do not off road at all, but really enjoy going to
> the snow. When the news says 'chains required', does that apply to 4wd
> vehicles? I dont have chains, and always wonder if they are going to
> turn us away.

Depends on your state. For example, in normal "chains required" the
restriction may be either chains OR a four wheel drive with
snow tires labelled as such. You may be required to carry chains
and show them at a checkpoint if it is really bad. Never seen it
get bad enough that even 4x4 are required to actually mount the
chains...by that time the highways are usually just closed.
Check the equivalent of your state's DMV and Highway patrol website.