AutoBanter

-   4x4 (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Overfilled Oil (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=6851)

Spiderman December 17th 04 08:13 PM

Overfilled Oil

I think the shop slightly overfilled my oil crankcase at the last oil change
on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4....the dipstick is reading "off the
charts" and when I'm parked I get a small drip of very watery brown fluid (I
assume it's overfrothed oil) under the engine compartment. The fluid is not
warm and is very watery so I don't believe this fluid has been thru the
engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any permanent damage? I
assume the excess will just drip out?

Willy Wanka December 17th 04 08:26 PM

<chop>
> engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any permanent damage? I
> assume the excess will just drip out?

A little bit won't hurt but,,,, if it is way over full your crankshaft will
have to fight it's way through the oil so your mileage and power will
suffer. I lost a fuelpump diaphram on a 327 once and filled the crankcase
with gas. Had one hell of a leak, out the dipstick, oil filler cap, blew pcv
out. Sure smoked a lot too.

Willy

\Doc\ December 17th 04 08:46 PM

"Spiderman" > wrote in message
>I think the shop slightly overfilled my oil crankcase at the last oil
>change on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4....the dipstick is reading "off
>the charts" and when I'm parked I get a small drip of very watery brown
>fluid (I assume it's overfrothed oil) under the engine compartment. The
>fluid is not warm and is very watery so I don't believe this fluid has been
>thru the engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any permanent
>damage? I assume the excess will just drip out?

How far (in inches) over the full mark is it?

Doc

Spiderman December 17th 04 08:48 PM

"Willy Wanka" > wrote in message
> <chop>
>> engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any permanent damage? I
>> assume the excess will just drip out?

> A little bit won't hurt but,,,, if it is way over full your crankshaft
> will have to fight it's way through the oil so your mileage and power will
> suffer. I lost a fuelpump diaphram on a 327 once and filled the crankcase
> with gas. Had one hell of a leak, out the dipstick, oil filler cap, blew
> pcv out. Sure smoked a lot too.
>
> Willy

Thanks for the quick reply. The engine sounds/runs normal (i.e. great) and
the tailpipe emissions are normal (clear). I love the 4.3 Vortec...just
wanted to make sure nothing damages my "baby". haha

Spiderman December 17th 04 08:51 PM

""Doc"" > wrote in message

> "Spiderman" > wrote in message
>>I think the shop slightly overfilled my oil crankcase at the last oil
>>change on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4....the dipstick is reading
>>"off the charts" and when I'm parked I get a small drip of very watery
>>brown fluid (I assume it's overfrothed oil) under the engine compartment.
>>The fluid is not warm and is very watery so I don't believe this fluid has
>>been thru the engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any
>>permanent damage? I assume the excess will just drip out?

> How far (in inches) over the full mark is it?
>
> Doc

I didn't measure it but its past the FULL mark...but not so far as to ride
up the stem of the dipstick.

\Doc\ December 17th 04 08:57 PM

"Spiderman" > wrote in message

>> How far (in inches) over the full mark is it?
>>
>> Doc

> I didn't measure it but its past the FULL mark...but not so far as to ride
> up the stem of the dipstick.

Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark. GUESTIMATE how
far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different than 2".

Doc

[email protected] December 17th 04 09:20 PM

So what's the problem? If it is over filled, either do it
yourself, take you vehicle to a shop, remove the oil, refill with
the proper amount of oil, end of problem.

mike hunt

Woody December 17th 04 10:26 PM

All the above said if the oil is too high it will be turned to foam by the
crankshaft and the bearings will be starved of oil and burn up. If it is
more than 1/2 inch above full drain it and fill correctly...

zonie December 18th 04 12:05 AM

Drain the oil pan and refill. But I will bet the shop didnot over fill the
engine , I bet that is coolant in your oil. On that engine I bet your
intake gasket has failed or the intake manifold has corroded through. Is
your coolant level going down? Good Luck ! Scott

Spiderman December 18th 04 12:16 AM

""Doc"" > wrote in message

> "Spiderman" > wrote in message
>
>>> How far (in inches) over the full mark is it?
>>>
>>> Doc

>> I didn't measure it but its past the FULL mark...but not so far as to
>> ride up the stem of the dipstick.

> Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark. GUESTIMATE how
> far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different than 2".
>
> Doc

Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the diagnosis, Doc?

\Doc\ December 18th 04 12:25 AM

"Spiderman" > wrote in message

>>> I didn't measure it but its past the FULL mark...but not so far as to
>>> ride up the stem of the dipstick.

>> Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark. GUESTIMATE
>> how far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different
>> than 2".
>>
>> Doc

> Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the diagnosis,
> Doc?

It's fine. Your truck takes about 4.75 qts and they likely just added 5
qts. 1/2" over "full" ain't going to hurt anything.

Doc

Lawrence Glickman December 18th 04 12:28 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:16:35 -0500, "Spiderman"
> wrote:

>>> I didn't measure it but its past the FULL mark...but not so far as to
>>> ride up the stem of the dipstick.

>> Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark. GUESTIMATE how
>> far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different than 2".
>>
>> Doc

>Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the diagnosis, Doc?

The diagnosis is "Nitwitcity"

IOW, you paid Mr Goodwrench to screw up your vehicle. The crankshaft
can churn the oil causing it to become entrained with air bubbles, and
this is not a good thing for your main bearings.

Dump the extra, do it now. And don't go back to the jerk you paid to
screw up your ride.

Lg

Bob La Londe December 18th 04 01:18 AM

Maybe a burst fuel pump diaphram? I know if it goes on a Ford it will fill
the crankcase with gasoline.

--
Spinner Baits Tips & Tricks Contest
featuring

** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

Spiderman December 18th 04 01:38 AM

"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:16:35 -0500, "Spiderman"
> > wrote:

>>> Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark. GUESTIMATE
>>> how
>>> far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different than
>>> 2".
>>>
>>> Doc

>>Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the diagnosis,
>>Doc?
>>

> The diagnosis is "Nitwitcity"
>
> IOW, you paid Mr Goodwrench to screw up your vehicle. The crankshaft
> can churn the oil causing it to become entrained with air bubbles, and
> this is not a good thing for your main bearings.
>
> Dump the extra, do it now. And don't go back to the jerk you paid to
> screw up your ride.
>
> Lg

Hmmm....I wonder who's right? The Doc (leave it alone) or Lg (dump the oil)?

Spiderman December 18th 04 01:49 AM

"Woody" > wrote in message
.. .
> All the above said if the oil is too high it will be turned to foam by the
> crankshaft and the bearings will be starved of oil and burn up. If it is
> more than 1/2 inch above full drain it and fill correctly...
>

> "Spiderman" > wrote in message
>>I think the shop slightly overfilled my oil crankcase at the last oil
>>change on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4....the dipstick is reading
>>"off the charts" and when I'm parked I get a small drip of very watery
>>brown fluid (I assume it's overfrothed oil) under the engine compartment.
>>The fluid is not warm and is very watery so I don't believe this fluid has
>>been thru the engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any
>>permanent damage? I assume the excess will just drip out?

Wouldn't that show up in the oil pressure? The pressure is in the normal
operating range. This is a very educational thread!

Spiderman December 18th 04 01:50 AM

Wouldn't the oil smell like gas then? It still smells like oil. Also, the
fuel gauge hasn't moved down abnormally.

Spiderman December 18th 04 01:52 AM

"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:16:35 -0500, "Spiderman"
> > wrote:

>>> Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark. GUESTIMATE
>>> how
>>> far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different than
>>> 2".
>>>
>>> Doc

>>Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the diagnosis,
>>Doc?
>>

> The diagnosis is "Nitwitcity"
>
> IOW, you paid Mr Goodwrench to screw up your vehicle. The crankshaft
> can churn the oil causing it to become entrained with air bubbles, and
> this is not a good thing for your main bearings.
>
> Dump the extra, do it now. And don't go back to the jerk you paid to
> screw up your ride.
>
> Lg

You're not kidding, I had a new exhaust system installed recently and it
fell off the same day...turns out they didn't clamp the muffler down tight
enough!

johanb December 18th 04 02:05 AM

"Spiderman" > wrote in message

> Hmmm....I wonder who's right? The Doc (leave it alone) or Lg (dump the

oil)?

I hope for you it is "doc"

Or you can just take it out / have it taken out and spend a $ 19.95 on a oil
change

Or a couple of thousand on a motor

You do the math..............

Johan

Ken Weitzel December 18th 04 02:13 AM

johanb wrote:
> "Spiderman" > wrote in message
>

>>Hmmm....I wonder who's right? The Doc (leave it alone) or Lg (dump the

> oil)?
>

> I hope for you it is "doc"
>
> Or you can just take it out / have it taken out and spend a $ 19.95 on a oil
> change
>
> Or a couple of thousand on a motor
>
> You do the math..............
>
> Johan

Hi...

Maybe I'm over-simplifying... but the oil's new; why replace it?

Why not just loosen the plug and let a bit out? Heck,
clean the drain pan thoroughly first and save what you remove
for a top-up.

Course I am from the waste not want not generation :)

Ken

Whitelightning December 18th 04 02:19 AM

"Spiderman" > wrote in message
> Wouldn't the oil smell like gas then? It still smells like oil. Also, the
> fuel gauge hasn't moved down abnormally.

I am going to side with Doc on this, 1/2" over the full mark wont hurt a
thing, like he said they put 5 qts instead of 4.5 qts in.(based on the 90
some odd oil changes my 91 has had in its 202,000 mile life time) 1/2 qt
aint going to hurt a 4.3, the oil level still wont be close to the crank so
no frothing at the dip stick to worry about..

I got a kick out of how these threads get all bent out of shape, Spider
don't worry about a fuel pump diaphragm because your truck doesn't have one,
its fuel injected and has an electric fuel pump mounted in the tank.
And where did he say anywhere in his posts that he took it of Mr.
Goodwrench?

Given you have a 4X4, removing the oil filter usually results in some spilt
oil on the frame and skid plate, the drips in the drive way are probably
from that. Good shop would have cleaned it up.

Whitelightning

Bret Chase December 18th 04 02:49 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:38:06 -0500, "Spiderman"
> wrote:

>:|
>:|"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
>:|> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:16:35 -0500, "Spiderman"
>:|> > wrote:
>:|>
>:|>>
>:|>>""Doc"" > wrote in message
>:|>>>
>:|>>> "Spiderman" > wrote in message
>:|>>> ...
>:|>>>
>:|>>>>> How far (in inches) over the full mark is it?
>:|>>>>>
>:|>>>>> Doc
>:|>>>>
>:|>>>> I didn't measure it but its past the FULL mark...but not so far as to
>:|>>>> ride up the stem of the dipstick.
>:|>>>
>:|>>> Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark. GUESTIMATE
>:|>>> how
>:|>>> far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different than
>:|>>> 2".
>:|>>>
>:|>>> Doc
>:|>>
>:|>>
>:|>>Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the diagnosis,
>:|>>Doc?
>:|>>
>:|>
>:|>
>:|> The diagnosis is "Nitwitcity"
>:|>
>:|> IOW, you paid Mr Goodwrench to screw up your vehicle. The crankshaft
>:|> can churn the oil causing it to become entrained with air bubbles, and
>:|> this is not a good thing for your main bearings.
>:|>
>:|> Dump the extra, do it now. And don't go back to the jerk you paid to
>:|> screw up your ride.
>:|>
>:|> Lg
>:|
>:|
>:|Hmmm....I wonder who's right? The Doc (leave it alone) or Lg (dump the oil)?
>:|

leave it alone.... a 1/2" high on the dipstick is negligible.... don't
worry about it unless you're a couple of inches above the full mark.

-Bret

SgtSilicon December 18th 04 03:02 AM

Slight overfill... probably not. More than slight... maybe. I've
read that over filling can lead to rear or front bearing seal failure.
Failed seals can lead to well, let the experts in here tell you.

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:13:58 -0500, "Spiderman"

SgtSilicon December 18th 04 03:05 AM

Best advice right here. Can't hurt to to have the correct amount of
oil, and it's not too tough to let a bit out.

el Diablo December 18th 04 03:38 AM

"Spiderman" > wrote in message

> "Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:16:35 -0500, "Spiderman"
> > > wrote:

> >>Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the diagnosis,
> >>Doc?
> >>

> > The diagnosis is "Nitwitcity"
> >
> > IOW, you paid Mr Goodwrench to screw up your vehicle. The crankshaft
> > can churn the oil causing it to become entrained with air bubbles, and
> > this is not a good thing for your main bearings.
> >
> > Dump the extra, do it now. And don't go back to the jerk you paid to
> > screw up your ride.
> >
> > Lg

> Hmmm....I wonder who's right? The Doc (leave it alone) or Lg (dump the

oil)?

Doc's right, as long as it's no more than 1/2" over full your OK. My 1994
Z34 has the 3.4 liter motor that takes a small oil filter and the manual
states 5-1/2 qts. with a filter change. I've put 6 qts. in it ever time I've
changed the oil. The motor has 126,000 fairly hard miles on it and runs like
new still.

Brian

Spiderman December 18th 04 04:43 AM

"Whitelightning" > wrote in message

> "Spiderman" > wrote in message
>> Wouldn't the oil smell like gas then? It still smells like oil. Also, the
>> fuel gauge hasn't moved down abnormally.
>>

> I am going to side with Doc on this, 1/2" over the full mark wont hurt a
> thing, like he said they put 5 qts instead of 4.5 qts in.(based on the 90
> some odd oil changes my 91 has had in its 202,000 mile life time) 1/2 qt
> aint going to hurt a 4.3, the oil level still wont be close to the crank
> so
> no frothing at the dip stick to worry about..
>
> I got a kick out of how these threads get all bent out of shape, Spider
> don't worry about a fuel pump diaphragm because your truck doesn't have
> one,
> its fuel injected and has an electric fuel pump mounted in the tank.
> And where did he say anywhere in his posts that he took it of Mr.
> Goodwrench?
>
> Given you have a 4X4, removing the oil filter usually results in some
> spilt
> oil on the frame and skid plate, the drips in the drive way are probably
> from that. Good shop would have cleaned it up.
>
> Whitelightning

I originally asked the question because I did not want to waste fresh oil
for no good reason....and in my case, it looks like there isn't one. I
looked under the hood and DID notice some oil dripping down the skid
plate....like you said, it must have gotten spilt when they changed the
filter. I wiped up the excess and hopefully that will be the end of the
little oil drips! Thanks....very good and sensible post (just what I was
looking for)!

johanb December 18th 04 04:46 AM

"Ken Weitzel" > wrote in message

> johanb wrote:
> > "Spiderman" > wrote in message
> >

> >>Hmmm....I wonder who's right? The Doc (leave it alone) or Lg (dump the

> > oil)?
> >
> > I hope for you it is "doc"
> >
> > Or you can just take it out / have it taken out and spend a $ 19.95 on a

oil
> > change
> >
> > Or a couple of thousand on a motor
> >
> > You do the math..............
> >
> > Johan

> Hi...
>
> Maybe I'm over-simplifying... but the oil's new; why replace it?
>
> Why not just loosen the plug and let a bit out? Heck,
> clean the drain pan thoroughly first and save what you remove
> for a top-up.
>
> Course I am from the waste not want not generation :)
>
> Ken

Yeah, sounds good too

Long story short , why take the change........

Johan

Steve W. December 18th 04 05:28 AM

"Spiderman" > wrote in message

> >> I didn't measure it but its past the FULL mark...but not so far as

> >> ride up the stem of the dipstick.

> > Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark.

GUESTIMATE how
> > far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different

than 2".

> > Doc

> Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the

diagnosis, Doc?

1/2" won't hurt you at all. That equates to about 1/2 quart. I always
put in 5 quarts with filter change in the wifes 4.3. Look at it this
way. The sump holds 3 quarts without touching the crank (the crank is
actually 1" or so in the oil before the pump starts working). Now when
you actually start the engine the oil pump does it's job. On the 4X4
with the small filter the filter holds 1/2 quart, the lines and cooler
hold another 1/2 quart. Now add the oil passages in the engine up and
that takes another 1.5 quarts. What does that leave in the sump? Correct
, 2 quarts. If it takes 3 quarts to get to the crank you still have 1
quart to play with.

Now if you go nuts and dump 6-7 quarts in you will have problems.

Scott December 18th 04 05:32 AM

""Doc"" > wrote in message

>>> Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark. GUESTIMATE
>>> how far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different
>>> than 2".
>>>
>>> Doc

>> Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the diagnosis,
>> Doc?

> It's fine. Your truck takes about 4.75 qts and they likely just added 5
> qts. 1/2" over "full" ain't going to hurt anything.
>
> Doc

Doc is right. The idea that your crank will have to spin through
the extra 1/2 quart is just wrong. Same for any idea about it causing
foaming and thus bearing failure.

When we used to rebuild engines we put an extra quart in to
be sure the new motor had plenty. A half quart overfill won't
hurt anything.

Toy December 18th 04 10:41 AM

"Spiderman" > wrote in message
>I think the shop slightly overfilled my oil crankcase at the last oil
>change on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4....the dipstick is reading "off
>the charts" and when I'm parked I get a small drip of very watery brown
>fluid (I assume it's overfrothed oil) under the engine compartment. The
>fluid is not warm and is very watery so I don't believe this fluid has been
>thru the engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any permanent
>damage? I assume the excess will just drip out?

f'in hell all this over a ****y drop to much and that guy that said drain it
out and save it must be on skid row.

toy

Woody December 18th 04 01:34 PM

If it shows up in the oil pressure it is too late....

Peter D. Hipson December 18th 04 02:15 PM

To jump in, and repeat what others are going to say, 1/2" should not
cause any problems. It will allow you to go a bit further before
adding oil, if you had to add oil before.

el Diablo December 18th 04 03:47 PM

"Peter D. Hipson" > wrote in message
> To jump in, and repeat what others are going to say, 1/2" should not
> cause any problems. It will allow you to go a bit further before
> adding oil, if you had to add oil before.

Exactly! And think about this guys, the accuracy that the dip stick tube is
press into the block is probably +/- 0.035" and the tolerance on the dip
stick pressed into the handle is probably about the same. So right off the
bat a Friday or Monday car is 0.070" off location to begin with. Grant it
that's not that much but it just shows that this method of fluid checking
isn't that accurate or does it need to be.
After all if you drive up hill, down hill, or around corners the level
changes all the time anyway.

Brian

Generic December 18th 04 04:44 PM

"el Diablo" > wrote in message

> "Peter D. Hipson" > wrote in

message
> > To jump in, and repeat what others are going to say, 1/2" should not
> > cause any problems. It will allow you to go a bit further before
> > adding oil, if you had to add oil before.
> >

> Exactly! And think about this guys, the accuracy that the dip stick tube

is
> press into the block is probably +/- 0.035" and the tolerance on the dip
> stick pressed into the handle is probably about the same. So right off the
> bat a Friday or Monday car is 0.070" off location to begin with. Grant it
> that's not that much but it just shows that this method of fluid checking
> isn't that accurate or does it need to be.
> After all if you drive up hill, down hill, or around corners the level
> changes all the time anyway.
>
> Brian

Plus, some 'flat' surfaces where people check the dipstick are not entirely
flat so the reading can be slightly off.

I've also intentionally overfilled (slightly) cars that use/burn/leak oil in
the past. It reduces the much greater risk of damage from having too little
oil, and I never saw any problems from it.

-John

[email protected] December 18th 04 05:21 PM

Personally, I'd just climb underneath and let some of the extra oil out. But, if
you have an aversion to getting under there and making a mess, there may be a
simpler solution....

To change the oil in my inboard-outboard boat, I pump it out through the
dipstick. That's the way it's done in boats. So, you could drop by your local
boating store and pick up a pump for $20 or less. Pump the extra half-quart out
and save it for later. No mess, and you'll have a handly little pump left over
that you can use for something else in the future. Personally, I've never done
this on an automobile, so take this advice with a grain of salt.... Just make
sure the tubing used on the pump will fit into your dipstick tube.

In article >, Spiderman says...

Oliver B. Lafferty December 18th 04 05:51 PM

Lots of answers to this, but no one mentioned that the right way to do
this is to change your oil and filter yourself and avoid overtightened
'stripped out' or 'not tightened' pan plugs. Go by the book and put
THAT amount in, and use the dipstick as a guide only for topping off
later. I say go by the book, because I worked on one vehicle that had
the wrong dipstick in it, and you might be surprised how often the
'right' dipstick can be off at least half an inch.
Changing oil is not a big deal and is cheaper, quicker and safer than
having a mentally challenged garage helper do it.

SgtSilicon December 18th 04 07:11 PM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:41:58 +0000 (UTC), "Toy"
> wrote:

>"Spiderman" > wrote in message
>>I think the shop slightly overfilled my oil crankcase at the last oil
>>change on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4....the dipstick is reading "off
>>the charts" and when I'm parked I get a small drip of very watery brown
>>fluid (I assume it's overfrothed oil) under the engine compartment. The
>>fluid is not warm and is very watery so I don't believe this fluid has been
>>thru the engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any permanent
>>damage? I assume the excess will just drip out?
>>

>f'in hell all this over a ****y drop to much and that guy that said drain it
>out and save it must be on skid row.
>
>toy

Look guy, I'm not saying his is over full to the point that it's a
problem. In fact, I'm inclined to believe the consensus on here that
a 1/2" above full on that engine is no big deal.

What I am saying, is that if the oil does get too far over filled,
that I have read that seals can be compromised. I am also saying,
that it is a very easy thing (for most guys) to let out a little
excess oil from the drain plug.

So putting it all together, on balance, myself I would just drain a
bit off so that it was in the correct range on the dip stick. Then
nothing is left to any chance, and it isn't tough to make happen. But
it's a free country and everyone is entitled to their own judgement on
the matter.

TaskMule December 18th 04 08:23 PM

"Toy" > wrote in message

> "Spiderman" > wrote in message
> >I think the shop slightly overfilled my oil crankcase at the last oil
> >change on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4....the dipstick is reading

"off
> >the charts" and when I'm parked I get a small drip of very watery brown
> >fluid (I assume it's overfrothed oil) under the engine compartment. The
> >fluid is not warm and is very watery so I don't believe this fluid has

been
> >thru the engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any permanent
> >damage? I assume the excess will just drip out?
> >

> f'in hell all this over a ****y drop to much and that guy that said drain

it
> out and save it must be on skid row.
>
> toy

This whole thread is commonly refered to as a "cluster ****" I'm not
refering to any particular poster but the thread as a whole. Poor Spiderman
has to wade through a mountain of misinformation to get a simple answer.
Too many people taking guesses without actually knowing the correct answer
to the simplest questions.
I'm not intending to insult anyone, everyone want's to help which can only
be good.

It's sort of like Kubbyk299 asking what the hose is on the coolant
reservoir, then going on to try and diagnose other peoples cooling problems
with wild guesses.

This is the nature of humans

Lawrence Glickman December 19th 04 02:09 AM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:23:59 -0500, "TaskMule"
> wrote:

>"Toy" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Spiderman" > wrote in message
>> >I think the shop slightly overfilled my oil crankcase at the last oil
>> >change on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4....the dipstick is reading

>"off
>> >the charts" and when I'm parked I get a small drip of very watery brown
>> >fluid (I assume it's overfrothed oil) under the engine compartment. The
>> >fluid is not warm and is very watery so I don't believe this fluid has

>been
>> >thru the engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any permanent
>> >damage? I assume the excess will just drip out?
>> >

>> f'in hell all this over a ****y drop to much and that guy that said drain

>it
>> out and save it must be on skid row.
>>
>> toy
>>

>This whole thread is commonly refered to as a "cluster ****" I'm not
>refering to any particular poster but the thread as a whole. Poor Spiderman
>has to wade through a mountain of misinformation to get a simple answer.
>Too many people taking guesses without actually knowing the correct answer
>to the simplest questions.
>I'm not intending to insult anyone, everyone want's to help which can only
>be good.
>
>It's sort of like Kubbyk299 asking what the hose is on the coolant
>reservoir, then going on to try and diagnose other peoples cooling problems
>with wild guesses.
>
>This is the nature of humans

TaskMule.
Some dipsticks ( not referring to anybody in particular here ), have
stamped on them DO NOT OVERFILL.

There just _has_ to be a reason for that don't you think ?

Now I'll be the first to admitt that a 1/2 quart *over* is no cause
for concern in a V6 or bigger, but it -could- be in a 4 banger.

The term the OP used was WAY OFF THE CHARTS.

Well, way off the charts means just that, that the top of the oil in
the crank case is too close to the crankshaft, or has immersed it
partially. This is NOT a good thing, for the reason I stated. You'll
end up pumping foam instead of oil. Air is NOT a recommended
lubricant in any Service Manual I've ever come across.

Regards,

Lg

Bob Truck December 19th 04 03:18 AM

I over filled my truck once...about one or two, yeah, I think two
tablespoons too much...just kept pushing the dipstick in, pull it out, wipe,
push it in, pull it out, wipe. It was an easy way to bring her back to
level. I bet you can eliminate that 1/2 inch in a day or two the same way.
(*wink*)

Lawrence Glickman December 19th 04 03:45 AM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 03:18:43 GMT, "Bob Truck"
> wrote:

>I over filled my truck once...

only once?
**** man, you're slackin off

>about one or two, yeah, I think two
>tablespoons too much...just kept pushing the dipstick in, pull it out, wipe,
>push it in, pull it out, wipe. It was an easy way to bring her back to
>level. I bet you can eliminate that 1/2 inch in a day or two the same way.
>(*wink*)

You're supposed to be in bed by 6pm. I'm going to tell your mommy.
Don't forget you have dress-rehersal for the Christmas play at your
elementary school tomorrow.

Lg