AutoBanter

-   4x4 (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hydraulic VS. Electric winches (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=24607)

[email protected] February 18th 05 12:21 AM

Hydraulic VS. Electric winches

OK group, I am looking for EXPERIENCE related opinions on hydraulic and
electric winches. Which type works best. If you have never used one
please don't tell me that type is horrible. I'm looking for one in the
12,000 lb range. Thanks.

Erik-Jan Geniets February 18th 05 02:12 AM

wrote:

> OK group, I am looking for EXPERIENCE related opinions on hydraulic and
> electric winches. Which type works best. If you have never used one
> please don't tell me that type is horrible. I'm looking for one in the
> 12,000 lb range. Thanks.

You need a running engine for an hydraulic winch to operate.
(Also true for PTO winches which might be an option if you have PTO)
For electric winches you might need a dual battery set-up.
Sorry, you were asking for experience related opinions.
This is technical...
Someone else ?
Kind regards,
Erik-Jan.

Mike Romain February 18th 05 02:26 PM

If you are a trail leader and the only sucker with a winch so you have
to sit at the top and pull everyone up, then a hydraulic is the way to
go. They can pull all day as long as your engine is running.

If you want one for self extraction and the occasional pulling friends
along than an electric is better because it will still work if your
engine dies in the middle of a water crossing or if you are way off
camber like tilted over on it's side or something where you can't run
the engine.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Nathan W. Collier February 18th 05 07:24 PM

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> OK group, I am looking for EXPERIENCE related opinions on hydraulic and
> electric winches.

i have owned and used both extensively. each has their own advantages and
disadvantages, please see
http://7slotgrille.com/projects/03rubicon/mm/index.html for my reasons why i
went from electric to hydraulic. for serious pulling, hydraulic is the way
to go.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Mad Dog February 24th 05 06:20 PM

Look no further than the MileMarker hydraulic winch......

--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10
ups.com...

Axel Hammer February 25th 05 05:56 AM

Mad Dog schrieb:

> Look no further than the MileMarker hydraulic winch......

....and then take approach to what is being used by professional recovery
vehicles.... no PS-pump, no MileMarker. Real PTO hydraulics, real high
pressure winches.

Cheerz,
Axel

Mike Romain February 25th 05 01:54 PM

What's up with your time and date Nathan? I am seeing you all over the
calendar and clock in the groups recently.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Mike Romain February 25th 05 02:58 PM

Ya but your messages hang around in the wrong places for days on end.

Nothing wrong with your server dude, your computer time and date are
just plain off. Looks like by about 24 hours. Fast by the way, not
delayed......

Mike

Bret Chase February 25th 05 09:22 PM

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 06:56:04 +0100, Axel Hammer >
wrote:

>:|Mad Dog schrieb:
>:|
>:|> Look no further than the MileMarker hydraulic winch......
>:|
>:|...and then take approach to what is being used by professional recovery
>:|vehicles.... no PS-pump, no MileMarker. Real PTO hydraulics, real high
>:|pressure winches.
>:|
>:|Cheerz,
>:|Axel

you know that a PS pump is just a 1400-1600PSI hydraulic pump, right?
whether it hooks to the engine via a drive belt or through the
transmission doesn't matter. I'm not sure why you'd want to go to the
trouble of hooking up another hydraulic pump to the system when you've
already got one that will do the job quite well, as you really don't
need a 30,000lbs continuous duty winch on a 4x4.

-Bret

Nathan W. Collier February 26th 05 02:43 PM