AutoBanter

-   4x4 (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   2002 Mercury Mountaineer any good? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=33647)

[email protected] May 25th 05 01:37 PM

2002 Mercury Mountaineer any good?

I am looking for a vehicle to drive to work. Found a awd 2002 mercury
mountaineer with 44,000 miles. Are these good and reliable? How does
the awd work? Is it good in ice/snow? What about mileage?

Jim Rusling May 25th 05 03:15 PM

wrote:

>I am looking for a vehicle to drive to work. Found a awd 2002 mercury
>mountaineer with 44,000 miles. Are these good and reliable? How does
>the awd work? Is it good in ice/snow? What about mileage?

I just bought a used one last January. We had some snow and ice right
after I bought it and it handled very good. I don't know how it would
do in deep snow. My wife makes many short trips, less that 5 miles
and gets about 17 MPG. On a trip of about 300 miles, most of that at
75 MPH, I got 22.7 MPG.

--
Jim Rusling
Partially Retired

[email protected] May 25th 05 03:57 PM

How does the all wheel drive work compared to 4x4?

Jim Rusling May 25th 05 06:00 PM

wrote:

>How does the all wheel drive work compared to 4x4?

On just wet roads and those with just some ice or snow it is better.
If you are going off road I would want a true 4x4. This vehicle is
for the wife and she likes it a lot better than her old Explorer that
was a 4x4.

--
Jim Rusling
Partially Retired