AutoBanter

-   4x4 (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   v10 dodge 4x4 exhaust ?' (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=5686)

Blah Blah February 1st 04 06:29 PM

v10 dodge 4x4 exhaust ?'

hi i have a 1999 v10 dodge ram 4x4 an would like to put a new exhaust
system on it. im lookin for a loud deep rumble. is it possible to get
the kind of sound im lookin for out of a v10. ive had several people
tell me no. right now i have true dual exhaust with v-force mufflers. i
was told these would give me the sound i desire but wasnt even close.
it sounds good at idle but when i get on it. its far from a deep rumble.
my buddy has a mustange with the 40 series flow master an it sounds
awesome. thats the sound im lookin for. any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Ron from florida

Elbert February 2nd 04 01:53 AM

I have a flowmaster on my 92k1500 and I like it. Of course its only a
350. If you like the sound on the mustang I don't know why it would
be a lot different on a v-10. Flowmasters are fairly quite at idle
but when you give it some gas it makes some noise "good". Not too
loud at Hwy speeds either.(in my view).

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:29:26 -0500 (EST), (Blah
Blah) wrote:

>hi i have a 1999 v10 dodge ram 4x4 an would like to put a new exhaust
>system on it. im lookin for a loud deep rumble. is it possible to get
>the kind of sound im lookin for out of a v10. ive had several people
>tell me no. right now i have true dual exhaust with v-force mufflers. i
>was told these would give me the sound i desire but wasnt even close.
>it sounds good at idle but when i get on it. its far from a deep rumble.
>my buddy has a mustange with the 40 series flow master an it sounds
>awesome. thats the sound im lookin for. any help would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Ron from florida

----
Elbert Clarke

remove ** to email

Elbert February 2nd 04 01:53 AM

Blah) wrote:

>hi i have a 1999 v10 dodge ram 4x4 an would like to put a new exhaust
>system on it. im lookin for a loud deep rumble. is it possible to get
>the kind of sound im lookin for out of a v10. ive had several people
>tell me no. right now i have true dual exhaust with v-force mufflers. i
>was told these would give me the sound i desire but wasnt even close.
>it sounds good at idle but when i get on it. its far from a deep rumble.
>my buddy has a mustange with the 40 series flow master an it sounds
>awesome. thats the sound im lookin for. any help would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Ron from florida

----
Elbert Clarke

remove ** to email

L0nD0t.$t0we11 February 2nd 04 03:38 AM

Roughly 2/1/04 10:29, Blah Blah's monkeys randomly typed:

> hi i have a 1999 v10 dodge ram 4x4 an would like to put a new exhaust
> system on it. im lookin for a loud deep rumble. is it possible to get
> the kind of sound im lookin for out of a v10. ive had several people
> tell me no. right now i have true dual exhaust with v-force mufflers. i
> was told these would give me the sound i desire but wasnt even close.
> it sounds good at idle but when i get on it. its far from a deep rumble.
> my buddy has a mustange with the 40 series flow master an it sounds
> awesome. thats the sound im lookin for. any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Getting a nice deep rumble can be as much magic as science.
The Flow Masters are good. You might want to try adding
a crossover pipe between the catalyst and the muffler to
try smoothing the exhaust a bit. Talk to the local FlowMaster
dealers, they might know of a setup that creates a nice rumble
without the blat that the V-10 can have. Trick is knocking off
the highs much above 200 Hz. Sometimes you can get this with
headers, slightly larger diameter [aka sewer pipe] pipe, low
restriction high performance catalyst.

Or what the heck, a pair of exhaust driven superchargers are
great for knocking off the high frequencies...and the local
Corvettes.

--
Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them...

L0nD0t.$t0we11 February 2nd 04 03:38 AM

rnf2 February 7th 04 11:10 PM

"L0nD0t.$t0we11" > wrote in message
> Roughly 2/1/04 10:29, Blah Blah's monkeys randomly typed:
>
> > hi i have a 1999 v10 dodge ram 4x4 an would like to put a new exhaust
> > system on it. im lookin for a loud deep rumble. is it possible to get
> > the kind of sound im lookin for out of a v10. ive had several people
> > tell me no. right now i have true dual exhaust with v-force mufflers. i
> > was told these would give me the sound i desire but wasnt even close.
> > it sounds good at idle but when i get on it. its far from a deep rumble.
> > my buddy has a mustange with the 40 series flow master an it sounds
> > awesome. thats the sound im lookin for. any help would be greatly
> > appreciated.

> Getting a nice deep rumble can be as much magic as science.
> The Flow Masters are good. You might want to try adding
> a crossover pipe between the catalyst and the muffler to
> try smoothing the exhaust a bit. Talk to the local FlowMaster
> dealers, they might know of a setup that creates a nice rumble
> without the blat that the V-10 can have. Trick is knocking off
> the highs much above 200 Hz. Sometimes you can get this with
> headers, slightly larger diameter [aka sewer pipe] pipe, low
> restriction high performance catalyst.
>
> Or what the heck, a pair of exhaust driven superchargers are
> great for knocking off the high frequencies...and the local
> Corvettes.

Exhaust driven superchargers??? thats Turbochargers dude... a Supercharger
is driven by belt or chain directly off the engine...

same preimise tho, just a fan crammign in extra air... :)

rnf2 February 7th 04 11:10 PM

L0nD0t.$t0we11 February 8th 04 06:09 PM

Roughly 2/7/04 15:10, rnf2's monkeys randomly typed:

> Exhaust driven superchargers??? thats Turbochargers dude... a Supercharger
> is driven by belt or chain directly off the engine...

Purely as a matter of common useage that appears to have become
imbedded in the lingo. Many moons ago the terms were more
interchangeable, back when you had to worry about the Castor
Oil Quickstep.

--
Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them...

L0nD0t.$t0we11 February 8th 04 06:09 PM

Chris Phillipo February 9th 04 12:30 AM

In article <fXuVb.120801$U%5.599883@attbi_s03>, "L0nD0t.$t0we11"
> says...
> Roughly 2/7/04 15:10, rnf2's monkeys randomly typed:
>
> > Exhaust driven superchargers??? thats Turbochargers dude... a Supercharger
> > is driven by belt or chain directly off the engine...

> Purely as a matter of common useage that appears to have become
> imbedded in the lingo. Many moons ago the terms were more
> interchangeable, back when you had to worry about the Castor
> Oil Quickstep.

Actually a turbocharger is defined as a supercharger that uses exhaust
gas to drive the turbine. From back when they were only found on
aircraft.
--
Remove "X" from email address to reply.