D-I-Y replacement filters for penguin bio-wheels

Old October 7th 03, 01:34 AM
E.Otter

Default D-I-Y replacement filters for penguin bio-wheels

I have two penguin filters for my tank: a penguin 330 and a penguin mini
(had it from my first 5g tank, figured I keep using it). Replacement
filters are expensive, so I thought I would find or make cheap, but
effective alternatives. The 330 has media baskets so I could stuff them
with filter floss or something else, but I wouldn't be able to do this with
the mini. I want to reuse the original penguin filters somehow.

My ideas a
1) Scrub clean the filter pad between. Although, I haven't had too much
getting off all the old gook though...
2) Separate the top of the filter from the filter pad and remove and replace
the carbon through this opening. Use a clamp to keep the opening shut.

Any input appreciated,
E.Otter

Old October 7th 03, 06:19 AM
SamB

Do Not scrub the filter pad. Hi pressure water only. Falls apart if you
rub it. No deed to clamp the bag shut; the carbon wont go anywhere.
SamB
k.net...

Old October 7th 03, 10:26 AM
Toni

k.net...

http://www.plantgeek.net/filter_cartridges.htm has a good idea or two.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/aquarium.htm

Old October 7th 03, 11:33 PM
_Scott_

I use dacron in my filter I change it about every 4-5 days after the dacron
I have my carbon filter in a mesh bag.

The caron bag stays pretty clean I rinse it every about 2 weeks.

cheers
Scott

k.net...

Old October 8th 03, 12:37 AM
Dave

One of the other brands of filter has premade "bags" that will fit perfectly
over the plastic frame of the filter element. Just peel all the old stuff
off and slip it into the bag. I don't remember the brand as I haven't used
those for a few years. Should be on the shelf of any PetsMart etc.

"Toni" wrote in message
nk.net...

k.net...

Old October 8th 03, 05:17 AM
E.Otter

Perfect!

http://www.plantgeek.net/filter_cartridges.htm has a good idea or two.

Carbon Filters in planted tanks ddss Plants 3 May 30th 04 06:40 AM
ATI and Lustar Hydro-Sponge filters, are they the same thing? Harry Muscle General 2 April 1st 04 04:00 PM
Eheim filters McEve General 2 December 10th 03 12:10 AM
[Slightly OT] Aquarium filters - alternative use? Flash Wilson General 5 December 5th 03 12:38 AM
Source for DI replacement filters Ron Reefs 3 July 29th 03 11:30 PM