More Sloth on my Part?

Old January 14th 05, 07:11 AM
Brent P

Default More Sloth on my Part?

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> Knowing how dangerous this intersection is, would you consider it
> "advocating Sloth" if I were to slow down when approaching it until I
> was close enough to see down the stem of the 'T' and verify that some
> dumb**** is not about to T-bone me?

Only if you advocate it over fixing the intersection's underlying
problems.

Old January 14th 05, 07:11 AM
Brent P

Old January 14th 05, 08:03 AM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> I've written several times about the 'T' intersection in my
> neighborhood where traffic coming from the stem of the T has a yield
> sign, and traffic crossing the T does not. I've mentioned how this
> intersection has poor visibility, and how most people who regularly
> turn left from the stem of the T habitually blow off the yield sign
> because 99% of the times they go through this intersection there is no
> cross-traffic. You may recall the many close calls I've had, and how I
> have cussed out drivers such as the stupid bitch in the white Corolla
> who flew through the intersection with a cell phone up to her left
> ear.
>
> Knowing how dangerous this intersection is, would you consider it
> "advocating Sloth" if I were to slow down when approaching it until I
> was close enough to see down the stem of the 'T' and verify that some
> dumb**** is not about to T-bone me?

It's basic defensive driving, in my opinion. And the car behind you
shouldn't be any closer than 2 seconds following distance, such that the
momentary slowdown shouldn't impact traffic flow by that much.

Old January 14th 05, 08:03 AM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

Old January 14th 05, 03:55 PM

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> I've written several times about the 'T' intersection in my
> neighborhood where traffic coming from the stem of the T has a yield
> sign, and traffic crossing the T does not. I've mentioned how this
> intersection has poor visibility, and how most people who regularly
> turn left from the stem of the T habitually blow off the yield sign
> because 99% of the times they go through this intersection there is

no
> cross-traffic. You may recall the many close calls I've had, and how

> have cussed out drivers such as the stupid bitch in the white Corolla
> who flew through the intersection with a cell phone up to her left
> ear.
>
> Knowing how dangerous this intersection is, would you consider it
> "advocating Sloth" if I were to slow down when approaching it until I
> was close enough to see down the stem of the 'T' and verify that some
> dumb**** is not about to T-bone me?

Scott, why do you have all your post requests not to be archived?

I think the intersection needs to be fixed. Either by fixing the
visibility issue, if possible, or just getting a stop sign placed
instead of a yield.

Old January 14th 05, 03:55 PM

Old January 14th 05, 06:42 PM
Paul

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message

> Knowing how dangerous this intersection is, would you consider it
> "advocating Sloth" if I were to slow down when approaching it until I
> was close enough to see down the stem of the 'T' and verify that some
> dumb**** is not about to T-bone me?

Since the intersection you described has one or more flaws to it, I
would say that to slow down would be "reasonable and prudent," and not
sloth.

--

Friends don't let friends shop at wal-mart or circuit city.

Old January 14th 05, 06:42 PM
Paul

Old January 14th 05, 10:19 PM
John David Galt

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> I've written several times about the 'T' intersection in my
> neighborhood where traffic coming from the stem of the T has a yield
> sign, and traffic crossing the T does not. I've mentioned how this
> intersection has poor visibility, and how most people who regularly
> turn left from the stem of the T habitually blow off the yield sign
> because 99% of the times they go through this intersection there is no
> cross-traffic. You may recall the many close calls I've had, and how I
> have cussed out drivers such as the stupid bitch in the white Corolla
> who flew through the intersection with a cell phone up to her left
> ear.
>
> Knowing how dangerous this intersection is, would you consider it
> "advocating Sloth" if I were to slow down when approaching it until I
> was close enough to see down the stem of the 'T' and verify that some
> dumb**** is not about to T-bone me?

Sometimes the need is unavoidable, if you're not driving a well enough
built car. I drive a Volvo to avoid having to drive that way. In your
situation I'd probably have been going fast enough that I couldn't
avoid creaming the Corolla, and I wouldn't lose any sleep afterward.
Old January 14th 05, 10:19 PM
John David Galt