Need Tire Recommendation for 97 E39

Old September 21st 04, 04:15 AM
md

Default Need Tire Recommendation for 97 E39

Hi. My 540i with 150k miles needs yet another set of tires.

Had been putting Michelin Pilot 235/45ZR17s on them but they don't see to
last, and the last batch have been really uneven (flat spots on parts of the
front tires causing thump thump etc.)

So, am looking for a decent but inexpensive set of tires....with good
traction and decent wear history.

My local tire guys and mechanic are recommending V or W rated tires...I can
get
Cooper Zeon tires for $103 each (plus mounting, etc.)
Dayton tires for $111
Dunlop for $164

Any recommendations? I like the $103/111 price range for this older car.
just want a smooth ride again and 30-40k more miles. Please share.

Thanks, Mark info ((at))) kramden ..dot.. net

Old September 21st 04, 04:26 AM
fbloogyudsr

"md" > wrote
> Had been putting Michelin Pilot 235/45ZR17s on them but they don't see to
> last, and the last batch have been really uneven (flat spots on parts of
> the front tires causing thump thump etc.)
>
> So, am looking for a decent but inexpensive set of tires....with good
> traction and decent wear history.
>
> My local tire guys and mechanic are recommending V or W rated tires...I
> can get
> Cooper Zeon tires for $103 each (plus mounting, etc.)
> Dayton tires for $111
> Dunlop for $164
>
> Any recommendations? I like the $103/111 price range for this older car.
> just want a smooth ride again and 30-40k more miles. Please share.

IMO, spending little you will get little. Dayton and Cooper tires aren't
very good tires IMHO. Go to www.tirerack.com and look for tires; they
have a far greater selection, at prices similar to the cooper/dayton.
Bridgestone, Pirelli, Continental and Yokohama all have tires in that
price range, in all-season form that is probably what you want.

Tirerack has ratings for all it's tires.

Floyd

Old September 21st 04, 06:57 AM
md

THANKS FOR THIS. ... They have a couple of tires that seem to be excellent
in the $120 range...the best rated seems to be a Continental all season WR
rated.

Always hard to know what to buy.

MArk

Old September 21st 04, 07:35 AM
fbloogyudsr

"md" > wrote
> THANKS FOR THIS. ... They have a couple of tires that seem to be excellent
> in the $120 range...the best rated seems to be a Continental all season WR
> rated.

Continental Conti Sport Contact is the OEM tire on my 330xi. Pretty good -
probably have 40K on them.

Floyd

Old September 21st 04, 12:49 PM
sethvir

I put Bridgestone Turanza LS-T touring tires on my '90 525i when I bought
it. Paid $92/tire at a local shop + install/balance. They are very smooth
and quiet on the highway, good grip in wet conditions. We'll see what the
winter in PA brings - may need snows, may not.

. com...

Old September 21st 04, 08:27 PM
John Carrier

For longevity, Pirelli P-Zero Nero's M+S. Excellent performance for an M+S
tire. For performance, Bridgestone SO-3's, Goodyear F1-D3's (IIRC), or Mich
PS-2's.

R / John

. com...

19 inch tire recommendations LIW Audi 0 November 25th 04 07:31 PM
Audi A6 (2000) 17" wheels - uneven tire wear Anit Patel Audi 9 November 7th 04 07:19 PM
Tire pressure must be monitored on new models !!! news BMW 2 September 20th 04 10:24 PM
Allroad Tire Wear Peculiarity TomS Audi 1 September 16th 04 05:41 AM
Tire fitment Mark Semon Audi 1 July 22nd 04 06:12 PM