2002 SL1 ... or so I'm told ..

Old February 10th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Kevin

Default 2002 SL1 ... or so I'm told ..

_jj_ wrote:

> 1. Anything I should keep a close eye on ? (beware of)

Keep the oil filled.

> 2. It came with no Owners Manual - where on the vehicle is the
> "SL1" model stated ?

is it a Single cam (SL1) motor, or a dual cam motor? (SL2)

hint - if you pop the hood, is the top of the motor metal (SOHC/SL1) or
composite (black) - DOHC/SL2

Old February 10th 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:21:09 -0500, _jj_ > wrote:

>Hello group.
>I just bought a used 2002 SL1. My first Saturn.
>Auto transmission (5 speed ?); 1.9 litre; PW; PL; no cruise.
>I have no maintenance history - looks clean & straight.
>70,000 km
>1. Anything I should keep a close eye on ? (beware of)
>2. It came with no Owners Manual - where on the vehicle is the
> "SL1" model stated ?
>Any comments or advice appreciated.
>John T.

Start out with changing all the fluids (coolant, engine oil and
tranny) and then change engine oil no more than every 3K miles. Saturn
have a tendancy to gum up and have piston rings stick with age if you
do not change oil often. Also since it is a aluminum engine it is hard
on coolant and personally I would use more than 50/50 is any aluminum
enegine for best protection. When mazda first launched the rotory
engine in 70's with a aluminum block they shipped with 90/10 but 60/40
or 70/30 will do fine and a lot better than 50/50.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old February 10th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:01:25 -0500, _jj_ > wrote:

>Thanks for the info.
>I've always been careful about oil changes - about 6000 km
>in my previous cars - I'll knock that back a little to 5000.

Yes no more than 5000Km or so. Cheap insurance for that motor

>I'll definitely do the trans fluid soon.
>Is it a do-it-yourself job, for the driveway ? or dealer ?

Pretty easy and straight forward. It holds a little over 4 quart so
get 5 so you can top it off and do change filter too

>The external trans filter seems like a good idea - a little
>hard-to-get-to .. maybe ?

Not really

>I'll pay more attention to the coolant also - not something that I
>generally fussed-over in previous cars.
> John T

Do watch coolant with a aluminum motor. GM tried to use dexicool as a
solution to problem and though many will debate it. 50/50 is not
enough and if you live up north you want more regardless for better
cold weather protection. BTW, Dexi is a not a bad coolant as much as
it is that fact that the reactivety of a aluminum block with it in
50/50 mix can bring out the worst of it sometimes.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com

Old February 11th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
_jj_

< snips>

>> 1. Anything I should keep a close eye on ? (beware of)

>Keep the oil filled.

>> 2. It came with no Owners Manual - where on the vehicle is the
>> "SL1" model stated ?

>is it a Single cam (SL1) motor, or a dual cam motor? (SL2)
>hint - if you pop the hood, is the top of the motor metal (SOHC/SL1) or
>composite (black) - DOHC/SL2

Ahhh. OK. It is SOHC. hence SL1.
I didn't know what the model name meant.
Thanks for the info
John T.
Old February 11th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
_jj_