X800XL - help me keep this card!

Old July 29th 05, 02:13 AM

Default X800XL - help me keep this card!

OK - it gets even more bizarre.
I cleaned the old Cats, reinstalled 5.7, and did a fresh install of
F1C.
1280x960 gives 85M Tri in 3DConfig, but FPS in game are still mediocre
(60ish in testing). Turned off replays, AA/AF, etc.
The bizarre thing is if I spin the car, FPS then drops 10-15FPS and
will not come back up. I can reproduce this over and over.
Other games are great, 3dMark05 gives just over 5000.

Am I crazy?
Kendt

Old July 29th 05, 11:26 AM
Remco Moedt

On 28 Jul 2005 18:13:51 -0700, "
> wrote:

>OK - it gets even more bizarre.
>I cleaned the old Cats, reinstalled 5.7, and did a fresh install of
>F1C.
>1280x960 gives 85M Tri in 3DConfig, but FPS in game are still mediocre
>(60ish in testing). Turned off replays, AA/AF, etc.
>The bizarre thing is if I spin the car, FPS then drops 10-15FPS and
>will not come back up. I can reproduce this over and over.
>Other games are great, 3dMark05 gives just over 5000.

Do you use an LCD screen by any chance?

>Am I crazy?

Prolly.... :-)

Cheers!

Remco

Old July 30th 05, 03:39 PM

Thanks, but its a Sony CRT, vsync off

I just posted this to rsc:

ISI-based sims seem to have a real problem on my rig.
Just upgraded from 9700Pro to an X800XL - everything but F1C and GTR
are screaming now.
In both F1C and GTR I saw a major performance hit. In GTR, even with
mirrors, windshield, wheel, and Motec off the cockpit causes a 50FPS
hit compared with bumper-cam.
This is consistent across multiple driver versions (4.12 through 5.x)
and variations (omega, dna, ati).
Only thing I can find is that "AGP Writes" is turned off with the X800,
while it was on with my 9700Pro. Even with SMARTGART disabled I can't
get it back on (though I did track down the relevant registry keys)
Anyone else seen this? I'm going to try on a fresh XP install, then the
card goes back and I get an nVidia.

Kendt

Old July 30th 05, 07:38 PM

Aha! Sounds like an interesting approach.
I've got an MSI KTV6-LSR - VIA KT600 chipset.
I've just uninstalled the VIA AGP driver with no ATI driver loaded.
I'll reboot and drop the 5.7s back on w/Smartgart.
I'll send a 6-pack of your favorite beverage if it works !

Kendt

Old July 30th 05, 08:17 PM

Duh! - just reread what you wrote - I have the latest VIA Hyperion
drivers. They were working fine, AGP 8x, AGP Reads on, AGP Writes (not
fastwrites) would just not turn on for some reason. Seems like ISI's
engine is not happy without this feature working.
I'll still send the 6-pack if I get this working .

Kendt

Old July 30th 05, 08:31 PM
Scoob Droolins

i dont think our engine is unique in that respect - any modern 3D
engine is gonna suffer if the apg bus is off. Apparently, we just use a
lot more dynamic vertex and texture stuff than others? anyway, no need
to send brew - just hope to see ya on an rfactor server

jc

Old July 30th 05, 08:46 PM

That would fit in with what I'm seeing - one part of the F1C slowdown
was caused by skidmarks, I'm guessing that the dynamic texturing of the
track relies on AGP Writes.
I think this card needs to go back - it's just not happy in my current
rig. If a 6800GT doesn't do the trick I'll just wait to go PCIe and a
dual-core x64 later in the year .

Thanks!
Kendt

Old July 31st 05, 03:20 PM

Thanks - I bet the native WinXP drivers open up a whole other potential
stability/performance issue.
I'm going to do what I should have done - return the card and save the
money for a better system. If it had worked flawlessly I could have
got my money out of the extra enjoyment in games, but as it is I'm
already behind in aggravation level .

Kendt