4 to 5 lug adaptors

Old December 6th 04, 08:26 PM
JS

Default 4 to 5 lug adaptors

I just converted my 66 front brakes to discs. The rotor only accepts 4
lugs and my rims are the old 5 lug style. My question is are the 4 to
5 lug adaptors safe for road use? Does anyone have experience with
these?

Thanks,
John

Old December 8th 04, 11:44 PM
Mark Detro

My opinion of adaptors are that your adding more links (and weak ones) to the
chain. Its just one more thing to go wrong. But, at least with the vw 4 to wide
5's, your getting a simple steel plate, I would say the "best" deal out of al
the adaptors out there (as long as they spin "true"). Its gonna add some
weight, and some width too (could be a problem in some situations).

Of course use caution with them, you don't hear about too much trouble with the
particular ones that you want to use but I always have found a loose/buggered
one on the last few cars I have either bought or worked on with them.

Mark Detro
Englewood, FL
Old December 9th 04, 02:39 AM
JS

Thanks for the reply. I did need to add a 3/8" spacer to clear the calipers
as well. I had a machinist fabricate them and he looked at the adapters.
He told me they looked sturdy enough and safe enough. He said he's seen
much thinner ones in the past where the adapters had actually bent. I think
I'm going to eventually switch to new 4-lugged rims.

John

Old December 11th 04, 11:34 PM
jjs

"JS" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I just converted my 66 front brakes to discs. The rotor only accepts 4
> lugs and my rims are the old 5 lug style. My question is are the 4 to
> 5 lug adaptors safe for road use? Does anyone have experience with
> these?

If the 911 5-bolt wheels have the same pattern as your 5-bolt rims, then I
have four EMPI adapters, never used, three still in the shrink wrap. 50%
retail would make me happy.

(So the question is, what are the actual dimensions of the 5-bolter VW
holes?)