Saturn SC2 Hot Start Problem

Old February 11th 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

Default Saturn SC2 Hot Start Problem

I have a "new" Saturn. It's a 1999 SC2, same 1.9 Liter engine
as the others.

Problem is that it start fine when cold. After
driving for 10 minutes or so, I turn the engine off at
the store. Walk out after 2-3 minutes and turn key.
NO START. the starter doesn't turn over. Doesn't
even click the solenoid.

I wait another 5-10 minutes and it starts right up. No
problem. I changed the temperature sensor on the
block with a new one. No help.

Any ideas? Car runs great, other than this "Hot
Start" problem.

By the way. NO check engine light. NO battery low or
charge light. Once it sits for a few minutes, turning
the ignition off, then on - it starts like normal. Go
figure.

kim

Old February 11th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

If you do not even get a "click", then I'd suspect one of the following:

corroded/dirty or loose battery, starter, or engine block connection
defective or dirty starter solenoid contacts
defective starter relay
defective ignition cylinder switch
Bad battery (not likely, but there could be an open cell)

I'm not sure why it behaves differently when cold or warm. You also do not
say if the lights, radio, blower fan, etc. all still work or not when it
will not start. My guess is this may not be dependent on the temperature
so keep your eye on this ... at the minimum, I'd remove, clean (with a wire
brush), and tighten both the positive and negative battery posts and
connectors. I'd also do the same with the engine block and starter
connections as well while the battery is disconnected.

Good luck

Bob
..

ups.com...

Old February 11th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

On Feb 11, 10:16 am, "Bob Shuman" > wrote:
> If you do not even get a "click", then I'd suspect one of the following:
>
> corroded/dirty or loose battery, starter, or engine block connection
> defective or dirty starter solenoid contacts
> defective starter relay
> defective ignition cylinder switch
> Bad battery (not likely, but there could be an open cell)
>
> I'm not sure why it behaves differently when cold or warm. You also do not
> say if the lights, radio, blower fan, etc. all still work or not when it
> will not start. My guess is this may not be dependent on the temperature
> so keep your eye on this ... at the minimum, I'd remove, clean (with a wire
> brush), and tighten both the positive and negative battery posts and
> connectors. I'd also do the same with the engine block and starter
> connections as well while the battery is disconnected.
>
> Good luck
>
> Bob
> .
>
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> >I have a "new" Saturn. It's a 1999 SC2, same 1.9 Liter engine
> > as the others.

> > Problem is that it start fine when cold. After
> > driving for 10 minutes or so, I turn the engine off at
> > the store. Walk out after 2-3 minutes and turn key.
> > NO START. the starter doesn't turn over. Doesn't
> > even click the solenoid.

> > I wait another 5-10 minutes and it starts right up. No
> > problem. I changed the temperature sensor on the
> > block with a new one. No help.

> > Any ideas? Car runs great, other than this "Hot
> > Start" problem.

> > By the way. NO check engine light. NO battery low or
> > charge light. Once it sits for a few minutes, turning
> > the ignition off, then on - it starts like normal. Go
> > figure.

> > kim

All other electrical functions are "normal", radio, heater, lights,
dash, etc. function. Its just the "brains" between the ignition
switch and the starter that seem faulty. As I said, after a few
minutes more cooling time it starts normally. Battery functions the
same, start turns over and start just like normal, no noticable drain
on the batter. Not even a hard start. thanks.

Kim

1998 saturn cold start problem bonfire Saturn 3 February 23rd 06 03:19 AM
Saturn no start ray Technology 4 December 20th 05 02:22 AM
'93 Saturn SL1 won't start madmax0303 Saturn 1 October 18th 04 10:55 PM
My Saturn won't start. warzena Saturn 1 September 17th 04 05:34 AM
1998 SL1 electrical problem- won't start, will start, replaced fuel pump relay D Saturn 6 August 23rd 04 09:17 PM