Went for inspection, failed because "Catalytic converter not READY" code is coming

Old November 18th 04, 07:40 PM
Santa

Default Went for inspection, failed because "Catalytic converter not READY" code is coming

I got replaced the Canister set since I got "Check Engine" light was
on. After a week I went for inspection, They are getting "Catalytic
converter not Ready" code from on-board computer. They were asking me
to bring the car when it is real hot, but everytime, there will be 5
cars infront of me, I don't know how can I bring the car in hot,
unless I have to drive from backdoor?. How can that computer code get
rid off?. Appreciated for suggestions.
Old November 18th 04, 07:54 PM
Woody

After you reset any code in the computer it resets all the drive cycle
codes. Several of them take drive cycles to set which means you have to run
it warming it up and letting it cool down. Depending on your driving habits
it could take a week or more. Once the drive cycles are set they won't reset
unless you get a code. The best thing I can tell you is take it out on the
freeway for a 10 or 20 mile run every day for a week. They should be set by
then. It has nothing to do with it being hot when they read the
computer.......

m...

Old November 18th 04, 07:54 PM
Woody

After you reset any code in the computer it resets all the drive cycle
codes. Several of them take drive cycles to set which means you have to run
it warming it up and letting it cool down. Depending on your driving habits
it could take a week or more. Once the drive cycles are set they won't reset
unless you get a code. The best thing I can tell you is take it out on the
freeway for a 10 or 20 mile run every day for a week. They should be set by
then. It has nothing to do with it being hot when they read the
computer.......

m...

Old November 18th 04, 07:56 PM
Woody

Too add, If you got a canister code you probably didn't tighten the gas cap
or the cap is leaking/defective. Make sure the cap is tightened at least
three clicks......

m...

Old November 18th 04, 07:56 PM
Woody

Too add, If you got a canister code you probably didn't tighten the gas cap
or the cap is leaking/defective. Make sure the cap is tightened at least
three clicks......

m...

Old November 19th 04, 01:07 AM
SoCalMike

Woody wrote:

> Too add, If you got a canister code you probably didn't tighten the gas cap
> or the cap is leaking/defective. Make sure the cap is tightened at least
> three clicks......

and get them codes cleared

smog places in california wont even test the car if the light is on.
Old November 19th 04, 01:07 AM
SoCalMike

Old November 19th 04, 03:20 PM
Santa

Actually I drove for a week after I replaced canister set. But I am
driving to work around 12 miles on each way on highway, may be that is
not enough to adjust drive cycles I think. I am driving at 60mph for 2
minuts, 70mph for 2 minuts. As per you suggested I will drive for an
hour over the week-end. The guys at DMV said, "bring the car after
drining for an hour on highway", this wasy engine will be hot and they
take the reading again.

Old November 19th 04, 11:41 PM
Woody

I believe that was his problem. When you clear the codes you reset all the
drive cycle tests. These sometimes take several drive cycles to get reset.
Once they are set then other tests are performed that will set codes if
anything is wrong.....