HELP!!! Cig. Lighter: 9 ohms between POS and GROUND????

Old October 24th 04, 11:00 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

Randolph coughed up:
> "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> (I think I'll go buy a bentley manual for it soon---I have one
>> for my audi, and they're pretty good).

> Yes, Bentley makes excellent service manuals. Too bad they are not
> available for Honda. You can get a Haynes manual at a pretty low cost,
> but for Honda, the Bentley equivalent is the factory manual that you
> can get from http://www.helminc.com.

I'm planning on hanging my own cig socket off of the power that we
discussed.

Is it ok to use a bolt on the chassis for ground? I know that the chassis
/is/ ground anyway, but should I find a "cleaner" ground of some kind?

Also, what are the potential ill effects should someone plug in something
more hefty than my phone charger into something grounded directly to the
chassis?

Almost there (in the short term until I get the manual or someone helps me
pull out the /normal/ cigarette lighter socket.)

Thanks!

--
http://www.allexperts.com is a nifty way to get an answer to just about
/anything/.

Old October 24th 04, 11:36 PM
Randolph

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

> Ok, now I'm feeling a more than a little stupid. The fuse socket for the
> cig lighter is now flakey, presumably from a slightly odd sized blade
> connector that I slid into it.
>
> The blade wasn't too wide overall, it was only too wide at the tip being
> rectangular instead of what the mini-fuse is, which is pointed.
>
> So {author gets a rope ready for hanging} what does a new fuse "block" cost.
> Just the grid of receptacles (sockets)----everything else will just move
> from my old one to my new one.

The fuse box (item 5 at http://tinyurl.com/6zl23) is only about $60 from
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com. They add about $5 for handling and
count on another $5 for shipping.
Old October 25th 04, 04:47 AM
Randolph

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

<snip>

> Can you point to someplace on the web that can help me figure out what to
> undo? Is it a simple paragraph of explanation? I've opened up several
> dashboads in my time, but the mounts for this one seem pretty concealed, and
> at least /tight/.

Well, isn't his your lucky day. See http://tinyurl.com/6xhvs. (this goes
to http://www.installdr.com). This document is about installing a new
stereo in your car, and part of that process is to take off the panel
where the lighter sits.
Old October 25th 04, 06:45 AM
Randolph

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

<snip>

> Is it ok to use a bolt on the chassis for ground? I know that the chassis
> /is/ ground anyway, but should I find a "cleaner" ground of some kind?

That would be perfectly fine. I usually crimp a ring terminal to my
ground wire and mount in to a chassis bolt.

> Also, what are the potential ill effects should someone plug in something
> more hefty than my phone charger into something grounded directly to the
> chassis?

If the chassis connection is good and tight, you are fine with any load
you can realistically plug in to your outlet.
Old October 27th 04, 03:06 AM
Thomas G. Marshall

Randolph coughed up:
> "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Can you point to someplace on the web that can help me figure out
>> what to undo? Is it a simple paragraph of explanation? I've opened
>> up several dashboads in my time, but the mounts for this one seem
>> pretty concealed, and at least /tight/.

> Well, isn't his your lucky day. See http://tinyurl.com/6xhvs. (this
> goes to http://www.installdr.com). This document is about installing
> a new stereo in your car, and part of that process is to take off the
> panel where the lighter sits.

WOW. Thanks.

A very small complaint is that the dash shown is /not/ the 99 CRV that I
have. Mine does not have that bottom tip-out tray. It is an empty flat
area for eyeglasses, dirt, dust.

This means that the screws it indicates are not there. It will be small
work to figure the rest out, though I have already tried (again). Hopefully
I not /too/ awfully dense, unless I've already proven otherwise here

*Thanks* for the heads up on the install site. Is it a submission based
site? I've often thought that such a free-based instructions site would be
perfect. It could take any instructions offered by others, with or without
pictures, and would offer others for the exact same thing, should
duplicates, better or worse, be submitted.

--
Framsticks. 3D Artificial Life evolution. You can see the creatures
that evolve and how they interact, hunt, swim, etc. (Unaffiliated with