Gauges Going Crazy

Old February 13th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Kimberly

Default Gauges Going Crazy

I have a 2002 L-Series. The change oil light came on not two weeks ago
(not changed yet) but today while picking up my son I turned on the
engine and the Security light, ABS, Service all came on and while
driving home (5 minute drive) the fuel gauge and Temp gauge kept going
down to Empty/Cold respectively then they'd bounce back up. While the
gauges were down the care would studder and all panal lights would
dim.

We have been having issues with a rough idle while stopped in gear or
not. Are these related?

Old February 15th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
J Ponce

I had a similar problem and somebody in this group (thank you to who ever
gave me the suggestion) told me to have the dealer check the server to the
computer (BCM?), the dealer could not find anything wrong with the computer
(no codes) every time I will take it. but I have to give them a signed
permission to go ahead and change the server since they did not have an
could not find an error code.
Once they changed the server they had to reprogram it at a tune of about
$400.00 + the car has been running better than when it was new.
The car is a 2002 L300 with about 90K miles, and yes the engine ran rough,
and the instrument panel will go crazy every now and then.
Again sorry about not know the part name but it was the server/switch for
the electronic part of the car.

Good luck

ups.com...

Old February 15th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie

gone are the days where the gauge (electrical or mechanical) connected
directly to the transducer. Now, everything on the insturment panel is
driven by a CAN bus from the Body Control Module. The instrument panel
receives the data and drives the various lights and 'gauges'. Gauges these
days are like mini-electric motors driven by two sets of coils. Took me a
while to understand that the fuel, temperature, speedometer and tach all
came off a digital bus.

"BläBlä" . s!rcre4p.c0m>
wrote in message ...
> In article > ,
> says...
>> I had a similar problem and somebody in this group (thank you to who ever
>> gave me the suggestion) told me to have the dealer check the server to
>> the
>> computer (BCM?), the dealer could not find anything wrong with the
>> computer

> Yes, Body Control Module
>
>> (no codes) every time I will take it. but I have to give them a signed
>> permission to go ahead and change the server since they did not have an
>> could not find an error code.
>> Once they changed the server they had to reprogram it at a tune of about
>> $400.00 + the car has been running better than when it was new.
>> The car is a 2002 L300 with about 90K miles, and yes the engine ran
>> rough,
>> and the instrument panel will go crazy every now and then.
>> Again sorry about not know the part name but it was the server/switch for
>> the electronic part of the car.

> Somebody named Karen posted that suggestion and they never posted
> anything else before or since. And you never posted what the fix was
> until now. Good to know.

VW MK2 gauges duostyling VW water cooled 0 September 10th 06 07:59 PM
87 YJ Gauges. Charlie Dellacona Jeep 5 January 26th 06 06:50 AM
Earlier post/Crazy Gauges michael Jeep 2 November 10th 05 11:31 PM
Other VW gauges Busahaulic VW air cooled 41 February 23rd 05 02:12 AM