How do you add an add on track in rFactor?

Old October 21st 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Samson

Default How do you add an add on track in rFactor?

About a month ago I asked here in this newsgroup which sims had
Infineon (Sears Point) raceway and someone recommended rFactor. As a
newbie to auto sims I hadn't heard of it and checked out the demo and
have been playing it for a month. It has only two tracks in demo,
neither is Infineon,but that was enough to keep me occupied.

Last night I registered/purchased and immediately saw more tracks but
still no Infineon. With another question to the RSC forum someone
pointed me to a place for add ons and I went there and downloaded it.
But now I can't find instructions telling me what to do with the files
inside the downloaded RAR. Can someone please explain or point me to
an explanation about how to install the add ons in rFactor?

Thanks,
Samson
Old October 21st 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
DStamper

I just simply copy and paste to the Locations folder. You can open the RAR
folder in one window and the rFactor folder in another. If you open the
GameData folder under rFactor you will see the Locations folder. Drag the
track folder you downloaded to the locations folder.

David Stamper

Old October 21st 06, 10:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Fritz

RAR files are compressed files. Unzip them with "Winrar".
Then copy and paste to locations folder.

Old October 21st 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryP

That works about 95% of the time but if it doesn't (i.e. you don't see
the install correctly) you need to go look at the directory tree and
be sure all is well. A couple mods needed to be unzipped into the
"\rFactor" folder, and even the "\Gamedata" folder to wwork right.
Ususally the readme in the archieve tells you what to do.

GP

Old October 23rd 06, 10:46 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dave Weaver

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 01:15:28 GMT, Samson > wrote:
> About a month ago I asked here in this newsgroup which sims had
> Infineon (Sears Point) raceway and someone recommended rFactor. As a
> newbie to auto sims I hadn't heard of it and checked out the demo and
> have been playing it for a month. It has only two tracks in demo,
> neither is Infineon,but that was enough to keep me occupied.
>
> Last night I registered/purchased and immediately saw more tracks but
> still no Infineon. With another question to the RSC forum someone
> pointed me to a place for add ons and I went there and downloaded it.
> But now I can't find instructions telling me what to do with the files
> inside the downloaded RAR. Can someone please explain or point me to
> an explanation about how to install the add ons in rFactor?

Open up the .rar file (you'll need a program like WinRar to do this).

If it contains a folder called 'SomeLocation" (not literally; this
will be something like the name of the track you downloaded) then
extract it to your
<wherever-you-installed-rfactor>\rfactor\GameData\Locations\ folder.

If it contains a folder literally called 'GaneData', then extract it
to your ...\rfactor\ folder.

Old October 23rd 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

In the case of option 2, would that not destroy all other tracks you have
installed?

-Larry

Old October 23rd 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

Larry wrote:

> In the case of option 2, would that not destroy all other tracks you have
> installed?

No, it just adds new directories and files and leaves existing ones alone.
If not, the zip tool used should be shot, or something...

l8er
ronny

Old October 24th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rod[_2_]

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:18:35 -0400, "Larry" > wrote:

>In the case of option 2, would that not destroy all other tracks you have
>installed?
>
>-Larry
>
>"Dave Weaver" > wrote in message
>
>> Open up the .rar file (you'll need a program like WinRar to do this).
>>
>> If it contains a folder called 'SomeLocation" (not literally; this
>> will be something like the name of the track you downloaded) then
>> extract it to your
>> <wherever-you-installed-rfactor>\rfactor\GameData\Locations\ folder.
>>
>> If it contains a folder literally called 'GaneData', then extract it
>> to your ...\rfactor\ folder.

Reasonable conclusion but it'll bury down the directory tree and
add the directory to the end of the tree. The only way it will
overwrite is if there's already files in the same destination
directory (and then it will prompt you if you wish to do so).

Cheers,
Rod.

Amazing rFactor Track To Be Released Soon David G Fisher Simulators 17 February 12th 06 02:50 PM
Scout axle data? Stupendous Man Jeep 2 December 8th 05 02:56 AM
rFactor Mid Ohio track John Smith Simulators 4 November 6th 05 02:49 PM
rFactor review Tony Rickard Simulators 66 September 7th 05 06:22 PM
rFactor track blinking braking zones John Smith Simulators 5 September 6th 05 09:57 PM