Crush Washer

Old October 14th 05, 01:51 AM
TeGGeR®

"Burt Squareman" > wrote in
m:

> "Paul" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>

>> The all-metal kind you can get from the dealer work OK too.

> Never heard of all-metal kind.

That's all you can get in Canada from the dealer.

Doesn't matter one whit whether there's rubber in the washer or not.
Successful sealing is quite independent of the materials used.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old October 14th 05, 02:08 PM
Frank Boettcher

On 12 Oct 2005 13:05:29 -0700, "butch burton" >
wrote:

>I used the same one on a honda for 15 years and 200K miles - almost no
>drips. Only have 8 years and 190K on the current crush washer - expect
>to get at least 250K out of this one.

Ditto. I've used the original on my 90 accord. Estimate 50 oil
changes. Carport floor is still clean as a whistle.

Frank
Old October 14th 05, 02:35 PM

Thanks everyone for the input.

Old October 16th 05, 07:13 AM
Burt S.

Default Crush Washer

"Mike Doyle" > wrote in message ...

> I don't see why this would be more likely to fail than the drain plug.
> I've run one for over a year in a Chevy truck with no problems, &
> put one on my 94 VX when I bought it. So far, no problems, no
> crush washers.

I don't know how many times I've driven over uneven road surfaces,
curbs or debris on the freeway. This is a failure waiting to happen
if Fram Sure Drain is protruding like this image:

http://www.motorcities.com/photo/vie...38026C.jpeg/0/

The Fram Sure Drain is spring loaded (see image at bottom) with
a tightness of about 5-8 lbs then why would Honda specify 28-30
lb for a nut and washer?

This device also uses an o-ring which can age over time. There are
no o-rings comparable to Honda genuine o-rings. This device also
has a small opening, probably in conjunction with a spring,
could prevent large debris such as crud from fully draining which
could wreck the motor.

Overall, Honda's oil pan nut is one solid object with large openings
that is designed well, practical and predictable.

http://rustysoffroad.com/media/fram/...redrain_05.jpg

Old October 16th 05, 03:18 PM
Kevin in San Diego

The oil drain plug is a simple easy to get to and use device. The only thing
I would consider putting a valve in is my boat motor. That plug is
impossible to get to and I have to vacuum the oil out through the dipstick
in order to change it.
KH

Old October 16th 05, 03:36 PM
butch burton

"This is a failure waiting to happen
if Fram Sure Drain is protruding like this image"

Someone has a web site in which they have disassembled every major
brands oil filters and revealed how these things are put together.
ALso on that site are comments by former people who worked for Fram
before being bought out by allied signal. If their "valve" is anything
like what they have done to oil filters - RUN.