Plug replacement 97 voyager 3.3

Old July 14th 05, 01:12 AM
Larry

Default Plug replacement 97 voyager 3.3

How do you supposed to get to the rear plugs on 97 grand voyager 3.3.
Chiltons manual says remove windshield rocker. I removed the wiper blades
and the rocker and still could'nt get to the rear plugs, Do I need to remove
the plennum also and it looks like the alternator bracket, I looked under
vehicle and it doesn't look like I can get them from there either, Van has
73,000mi, and still runs great but I don't know if I should trust the wires
and plugs untill 100 grand like manual recomends. Any comments or
suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks to the group.

Old July 14th 05, 02:19 AM
maxpower

"Larry" > wrote in message
news
> How do you supposed to get to the rear plugs on 97 grand voyager 3.3.
> Chiltons manual says remove windshield rocker. I removed the wiper blades
> and the rocker and still could'nt get to the rear plugs, Do I need to

remove
> the plennum also and it looks like the alternator bracket, I looked under
> vehicle and it doesn't look like I can get them from there either, Van has
> 73,000mi, and still runs great but I don't know if I should trust the

wires
> and plugs untill 100 grand like manual recomends. Any comments or
> suggestions would be helpful.
>
> Thanks to the group.

The complete wiper module assembly has to be removed to get to them from the
top. The easiest way is to raise the vehicle and get them from the bottom.
Or if you have long arms and lots of patience you can get them from reaching
around the back.
If your gonna replace them, I would suggest doing the plug wires also with a
good set of MOPAR wires.
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 14th 05, 02:23 AM
Jake

Larry, Put on your gloves and roll down your sleeves, this is gonna hurt! I
have read posts from other guys that have managed to get the rear plugs from
underneath the van, with some creative extension/swivel use. I found that
impossible without a lift. The other method, removing the windshield wiper
"module" is no picnic. I hope you realize that you have to remove the lower
housing, with the wiper motor and linkage! I just did this(reluctantly) on
my way to the lifters and I am quite "****ed-off" at the helter-skelter
engineering that went into turning this 3.3 sideways and allowing next -to-
NO- consideration for the poor mechanic that has to remove 3 bushelbaskets
of peripheral crap before he can see or touch the item that has failed! I
have 79000 easy miles on mine and the factory plugs are worn to a gap of
0.081". I will compliment the electrical design team on the ignition system
that can fire that plug under extreme demands! Please let me know what you
decide to do.
Jake.

news

Old July 14th 05, 02:36 AM
Steve

Can be done from the bottom but requires some dexterity. You can drop
the exhaust for a little more room. If you go from the top, pull the
plenum and do the heater hoses while you have it all apart. You'll be
glad you did.

Old July 15th 05, 02:39 AM
Larry

thanks for the input, I already removed the wiper module and when after all
that I still had to do a lot more to get to the plugs, Plennum off,some
alternator brackets etc. I just put it back together and will deal with it
when I have more time to tear everything apart to get to them, Not like my
4.0 jeep which is a breeze

Old July 15th 05, 04:38 AM
Dave

Larry, It's not that big of a deal. It shouldn't take you more than 2
1/2 hours providing you have the necessary tools and a Factory Service
Manual. Not a Haynes or Chiltons.The easiest way is to remove the
wiper box,and intake plenum. Use Mo par wires and Champion platinum
plugs. Make sure you pick up a new intake plenum gasket!! You will
want to clean the throttle body and plenum with carburetor spray
cleaner before you put it together. You don't have to take off any
brackets on the alternator, but make sure the bracket on the right
side that goes from the plenum to the block gets tightened last after
you torque down the plenum. If you have any questions, take a lot of
digital pictures, especially for hose and cable routing. On Wed, 13

Old July 15th 05, 01:32 PM
Bob Shuman

I find top side access to the rear passenger side plug is easiest by
removing the alternator bracket. This does not require removal of the
alternator or the belt, just the bracket itself which obviously must be
reconnected before you attempt to use the vehicle.

The bottom line is two of the rear plugs are difficult to reach so do what
you need to get at them.

Bob

Old July 16th 05, 01:20 PM
Dave Gower

"Dave" > wrote in message
> Larry, It's not that big of a deal. It shouldn't take you more than 2
> 1/2 hours providing you have the necessary tools and a Factory Service
> Manual. Not a Haynes or Chiltons.The easiest way is to remove the
> wiper box,and intake plenum.

I second that. I bought my first 6-cyl van a couple of years ago, and being
well used it came with elderly plugs and leaking valve covers. I was
initially horrified at all the stuff in the way, but with advice from a
friend who was a tech, and a manual (Haynes, sorry Dave) I found it wasn't
all that bad. Just took it slow and easy, and made sure once I was in I
replaced everything that needed it, and used good parts. Two years later
everything is great.