Sticky gear shifter on a 2001 SL1

Old December 26th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Peter[_8_]

Default Sticky gear shifter on a 2001 SL1

Recently my gear shifter has gotten noticeably heavier to move -- it
used to pop into neutral when released from a gear, for instance, and
now it has to be moved with some force. The car still drives fine, but
I'm concerned this is the beginning of more serious trouble. What could
be causing this?

Peter

Old December 26th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Peter Plantagenet

Peter wrote:

> Recently my gear shifter has gotten noticeably heavier to move -- it
> used to pop into neutral when released from a gear, for instance, and
> now it has to be moved with some force. The car still drives fine, but
> I'm concerned this is the beginning of more serious trouble. What could
> be causing this?
>
> Peter

Some more details -- manual transmission of course:

Year/Make/Model: 2001 SATURN SL (delivery date 05/13/2001)
Body Style: SEDAN 4 DR
Engine: 1.9L L4 SPFI SOHC
Fuel: GASOLINE
Driveline: FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
Manufactured in: UNITED STATES
Old December 26th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

Mileage? Do you drive it pretty hard? Without more details, I'd suspect
your clutch is wearing and may be going out soon...

Old December 26th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Peter Plantagenet

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the hint -- it has about 73,000. But it may be simpler than
that -- I checked the oil and saw it was low, so changed it and the
transmission fluid; it seems to be fine now. I've just not come across this
symptom of low oil -- or could the transmission fluid be too thick or even
low?

Peter

Old December 26th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, Peter Plantagenet > wrote:
>Thanks for the hint -- it has about 73,000. But it may be simpler than
>that -- I checked the oil and saw it was low, so changed it and the
>transmission fluid; it seems to be fine now. I've just not come across this
>symptom of low oil -- or could the transmission fluid be too thick or even
>low?

Certainly if the transmission fluid is low, it's not being lubricated as well
as it should, and (among other things) the shifts can be kinda hard.

--
Regards,

Old December 27th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

Agreed. Hope that the fluid change does the trick for you. At 73K miles,
assuming conservative driving habits, then the clutch should still have
quite a few more miles.

t...

Old December 27th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article > , "Bob Shuman" > wrote:
>Agreed. Hope that the fluid change does the trick for you. At 73K miles,
>assuming conservative driving habits, then the clutch should still have
>quite a few more miles.

Yeah, probably, but that depends a *lot* on the driving cycle. City driving,
particularly in heavy traffic, is very hard on clutch linings.

Highway driving, on the other hand... I used to drive a Mazda RX-7 commuting
to work about 45 miles daily (round trip), almost all of which was highway. At
about 80K miles, I had to drop the transmission to change the clutch pilot
bearing (a notorious weak point in the RX-7) and found that the clutch disc
had more than 90% of its original thickness left.

--
Regards,

'92 Dakota 3.9 distributer gear replacement Kruse Dodge 5 July 18th 06 07:36 PM
Buzzing at startup/ring gear SmarSquid Honda 1 January 16th 05 02:46 AM
Speedo gear problem Jeff Scherb Jeep 2 December 19th 04 11:57 AM
No reverse gear on 2000 Saturn SL2 A/T 2000SaturnSL2 Saturn 6 October 6th 04 06:18 PM
Gear change and Air Con Ballymoney Alfa Romeo 3 October 3rd 04 08:40 AM