Question for Bill - AW-4 handle

Old June 20th 05, 10:54 PM
Clap Trap

Default Question for Bill - AW-4 handle

Bill - I'm betting you will probably know the answer and may even have a
picture...

For a '99 XJ with the AW-4 tranny, is there any way to remove the T from
the shifter shaft? I never have liked it and would like to replace it
with something like a Hurst shifter T handle. I've seen Hurst T handles
with integrated buttons that are used for hill holder brakes. I'd bet
that button could replace the AW-4's T handle button (assuming the AW-4
button activates a solenoid instead of a mechanical linkage).

I've been told I can just pull the T off the shaft, but I'm afraid to do
that - I suspect that shaft is just held in with some plastic thingies.

Anyone know how to do this or have pictures?
Old June 20th 05, 11:55 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Leave the Hurst to the Real transmissions:
http://www.billhughes.com/B%26Msticker.jpg Our litigious society has
forced us to use ignition brake interlocks:
http://www.billhughes.com/xjShiftInterlock.pdf
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old June 21st 05, 01:25 AM
Clap Trap

Thanks for the picts Bill.

They show the T handle is a separate piece from the shaft, but nothing
indicates how to remove it. I don't want to mess with any of the
cabling or anything. Just removing the handle shouldn't require
anything other than hooking the button switch to the button on a B&M
type T handle so it should work. If I could just figure out how to get
that handle off.
Old June 21st 05, 02:29 AM
Carl Saiyed

This may not help, but the last console automatic car I drove had a small
allen screw in the front of the handle that held it onto the stick. It was
also a 76 Dodge Aspen.

HTH

Carl

Old June 21st 05, 02:54 AM
Drifter

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:54:42 -0500, Clap Trap > wrote:

>Bill - I'm betting you will probably know the answer and may even have a
>picture...
>
>For a '99 XJ with the AW-4 tranny, is there any way to remove the T from
>the shifter shaft? I never have liked it and would like to replace it
>with something like a Hurst shifter T handle. I've seen Hurst T handles
>with integrated buttons that are used for hill holder brakes. I'd bet
>that button could replace the AW-4's T handle button (assuming the AW-4
>button activates a solenoid instead of a mechanical linkage).
>
>I've been told I can just pull the T off the shaft, but I'm afraid to do
>that - I suspect that shaft is just held in with some plastic thingies.
>
>Anyone know how to do this or have pictures?

Grasp the T-handle firmly. Pull it straight up/off the shaft.
Honestly, that's it. No screws, no catches, just a sort of plastic
retainer in the t-handle sort of like the cap on a jug of milk.

I didn't believe it until I did it myself (97 XJ).

The button on the t-handle presses a button on the top of the shifter
shaft. That moves a short cable which lifts a piece of metal so you
can shift.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Old June 21st 05, 11:34 AM
Clap Trap

Hmm - that sounds like a mechanical connection to me. Bummer. That
means it would not be a simple thing to replace the T handle with a B&M
type handle.

But - maybe the knob style handle from a Grand Cherokee would work?
Have you ever taken one of those off?

BTW, why did you ever take the handle off an XJ in the first place to
know how it works?

Old June 21st 05, 12:14 PM
Drifter

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 05:34:43 -0500, Clap Trap > wrote:

>Hmm - that sounds like a mechanical connection to me. Bummer. That
>means it would not be a simple thing to replace the T handle with a B&M
>type handle.
>
>But - maybe the knob style handle from a Grand Cherokee would work?
>Have you ever taken one of those off?
>
>BTW, why did you ever take the handle off an XJ in the first place to
>know how it works?
>
>Drifter wrote:
>> The button on the t-handle presses a button on the top of the shifter
>> shaft. That moves a short cable which lifts a piece of metal so you
>> can shift.

I was mounting a set of toggle switches on the center console (right
on that shift plate) so I needed to pull that plate off to drill the
holes.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

Parking brake handle (E36) B.S. BMW 6 June 4th 05 06:23 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good [email protected] BMW 0 April 21st 05 10:01 PM
Outside Handle Replacement Xx Ford Explorer 1 March 20th 05 04:38 PM
Civic Outer Door Handle Cracked Off in Icy Weather Gary Honda 0 December 23rd 04 04:11 PM