1991 Accord auto transmission - shifts in/out of 'sport' mode by itself

Old November 16th 04, 07:22 PM
johnemac

Default 1991 Accord auto transmission - shifts in/out of 'sport' mode by itself

My 1991 Accord LX automatic trans w/237000 mi, recently began shifting in
and out of 'sport' mode by itself. When it shifts into sport mode, the
dash lamp comes on and the transmission shifts to 2nd gear, regardless of
the speed I'm driving. It will not shift back to a higher gear until it
changes back from sport mode...on it's own. If I am stopped when it shifts
into sport mode, the dash lamp comes on and the transmission shifts to 2nd
gear. I have to manually shift to 1st to take off and then shift back up.
As long as the lamp is on, it will not shift beyond 2nd gear. Any help is
appreciated.

Old November 17th 04, 12:53 AM
Charles

"johnemac" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> My 1991 Accord LX automatic trans w/237000 mi, recently began shifting in and

out of 'sport' mode by itself.

Are you sure that the Sport Mode indicator light is not flashing? That it is
steady? A flashing indicator means that the transmission computer has sensed a
problem.

Just to be sure, check the LED indicator on the transmission computer itself
when you first turn on the ignition. If THAT light is flashing, count the
number of flashes. That tells you where the problem is. On my Prelude and
probably your Accord the computer is under the rug at the passengers feet.
There's usually a little flap of carpet that you can pull back to see the LED.

--
Chuck

Old November 17th 04, 01:17 AM
motsco_ _

johnemac wrote:
> My 1991 Accord LX automatic trans w/237000 mi, recently began shifting in
> and out of 'sport' mode by itself. When it shifts into sport mode, the
> dash lamp comes on and the transmission shifts to 2nd gear, regardless of
> the speed I'm driving. It will not shift back to a higher gear until it
> changes back from sport mode...on it's own. If I am stopped when it shifts
> into sport mode, the dash lamp comes on and the transmission shifts to 2nd
> gear. I have to manually shift to 1st to take off and then shift back up.
> As long as the lamp is on, it will not shift beyond 2nd gear. Any help is
> appreciated.

=============================

How many times have you done a drain-n-fill with Honda ATF? I'd do it
once (4 litres), then again after a week of driving. If that doesn't fix
it, the ECU can be repaired, if it's blown a couple of capacitors. I
have a PDF file explaining the fix. I could point you to a link.

'Curly'

Old November 17th 04, 03:12 AM
Chip Stein

"johnemac" > wrote in message alkaboutautos.com>...
> My 1991 Accord LX automatic trans w/237000 mi, recently began shifting in
> and out of 'sport' mode by itself. When it shifts into sport mode, the
> dash lamp comes on and the transmission shifts to 2nd gear, regardless of
> the speed I'm driving. It will not shift back to a higher gear until it
> changes back from sport mode...on it's own. If I am stopped when it shifts
> into sport mode, the dash lamp comes on and the transmission shifts to 2nd
> gear. I have to manually shift to 1st to take off and then shift back up.
> As long as the lamp is on, it will not shift beyond 2nd gear. Any help is
> appreciated.

it needs a tranny computer, they can be fixed but it doesn't always last long.
Chip
Old November 18th 04, 09:26 PM
johnemac

Where is the transmission computer located??

Old November 18th 04, 09:26 PM
johnemac

Where is the transmission computer located??

Old November 20th 04, 05:14 PM
Net-Doctor

Under the carpet on the front passenger side. I had to buy one at junkyard
for a hundred bucks US, but I changed it in fifteen minutes and no more
problem on my '92 Acc EX. Similar symptoms to yours.
lkaboutautos.com...

Old November 20th 04, 05:14 PM
Net-Doctor

Under the carpet on the front passenger side. I had to buy one at junkyard
for a hundred bucks US, but I changed it in fifteen minutes and no more
problem on my '92 Acc EX. Similar symptoms to yours.
lkaboutautos.com...

Old November 23rd 04, 11:02 PM
johnemac

Thanks,

I pulled the carpet back and was suprised to see that much equipment under
the rug!! i will start hunting one in the wrecker yards.

Johnemac

Old November 23rd 04, 11:02 PM
johnemac

Thanks,

I pulled the carpet back and was suprised to see that much equipment under
the rug!! i will start hunting one in the wrecker yards.

Johnemac

1991 750IL - Check Engine & Transmission Program megrp BMW 0 December 15th 04 04:33 AM
Transmission limp mode rkm Dodge 12 October 15th 04 12:49 AM
90 accord ex 4spd auto sport maroonhonda Honda 0 October 11th 04 10:33 PM