your opinions?

Old October 19th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

Default your opinions?

> wrote
> Elle wrote:
>> The archives and I emphatically echo Tegger's caution
>> about
>> using only genuine Honda PS fluid. One can now purchase
>> this
>> "genuine Honda" fluid at Autozone. Using non-Honda fluid
>> will destroy the PS system seals, IIRC.

> I wonder how geenuwine it really is though..

For the archives, I have been using the "genuine Honda" PS
fluid sold at aftermarket stores like Autozone for four
years in my 91 Civic. I have been through a bottle or two,
in 2002 to replenish that lost over some 11 years, and in
2004, to replace that lost during removal of the PS pump
(and subsequent purge etc.) for the timing belt job.

Given how low cost it is at the dealer's, though, I can
understand people not wanting to gamble.

Old October 19th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Elle wrote:
> > wrote
>> Elle wrote:
>>> The archives and I emphatically echo Tegger's caution
>>> about
>>> using only genuine Honda PS fluid. One can now purchase
>>> this
>>> "genuine Honda" fluid at Autozone. Using non-Honda fluid
>>> will destroy the PS system seals, IIRC.

>> I wonder how geenuwine it really is though..

> For the archives, I have been using the "genuine Honda" PS
> fluid sold at aftermarket stores like Autozone for four
> years in my 91 Civic. I have been through a bottle or two,
> in 2002 to replenish that lost over some 11 years, and in
> 2004, to replace that lost during removal of the PS pump
> (and subsequent purge etc.) for the timing belt job.

for the future, it's not necessary to disconnect the pump hoses and lose
fluid to change the timing belt. because the pump is connected with
flexible hoses, it can be lifted out of the way with the hoses still
attached.

Old October 19th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

wrote:
> Elle wrote:
>
>> The archives and I emphatically echo Tegger's caution about
>> using only genuine Honda PS fluid. One can now purchase this
>> "genuine Honda" fluid at Autozone. Using non-Honda fluid
>> will destroy the PS system seals, IIRC.

> I wonder how geenuwine it really is though.. On the label it says
> it's for for hondas, but on the back it says honda has not given
> their ok for it's use. It's probably ok I imagine, but it made me a tad
> paranoid to keep using it. The stuff at autozone is made by some
> aftermarket company. It's not the genuine stuff. But the label does
> say it's formulated for hondas. Myself, I had to flush my PS system
> cuz the guy that previously repaired a blown hose had used ATF.
> Ultra bad... I flushed it once with the autozone stuff, but later did
> it
> again with the genuine honda fluid. Actually, I think I should do it
> a third time, as I still seem to see traces of pink in the fluid.
> In comparing price, the real deal fluid at the dealer is only about
> 50 cents a bottle more than the autozone stuff.
> Sooo.. I recommend using the honda fluid if a dealer is nearby.
> It doesn't cost that much more. My pump has started leaking
> already. Not real bad, but I think the seal is pretty much toast.
> Maybe the ATF ruined it, but maybe it's just wore out.

no, the atf ruined it. pumps are good for 300+k miles if honda fluid is
used.

>. I've been
> topping
> it off, but intend to buy a new pump pretty soon. I'll probably do that
> \
> when I get around to the timing belt. The ATF wasn't in there very
> long at all. But if the seal was borderline before the ATF..
> At least my steering rack seems not to be leaking.
> Myself, I have to admit I rarely change brake fluid unless I'm changing
>
> a cylinder, or have gunky fluid. But it's never a bad idea really as
> brake fluid absorbs lots of moisture. The fresher the fluid , the
> better. Just make sure they don't spill any on the paint..
> MK

brake fluid washes off with water. just make sure you wash but don't
wipe, even if it looks like paint's coming off - the paint will be
ruined forever. wash and keep washing but don't touch. then leave
alone and go have a beer or 6. when you come back, the water will have
dried and you'll see no evidence of a paint problem whatsoever. ask me
how i know...
Old October 23rd 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

OK. So I checked the fluids myself yesterday. Power steering fluid was
light, clear, honey-colored, and mighty tasty. Brake fluid was fine,
but not as sweet. ;-) Thanks for all input.

Opinions on detroit in D 30 Greg Jeep 8 July 26th 05 12:32 AM
YJ, dana 30+detroit opinions Greg 4x4 0 July 23rd 05 04:19 PM
Buying a new car -- looking for your learned opinions on my 3 finalists Ursula Driving 7 June 6th 05 03:57 PM
Opinions Wanted: 66 Exhaust Setup Scott Ford Mustang 2 March 11th 05 12:36 AM
Opinions on the 2002 L100. Rob Saturn 2 December 27th 04 04:53 AM