So what should be the penalty for speeding?

Old January 7th 05, 08:26 PM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

Default So what should be the penalty for speeding?

Considering that these terrorists kill and maim innocent americans
every day on the highways, i think anyone caught doing 20 mph or more
over the limit should do ten years in the can and never be allowed to
drive again.

LETS STOP BEING CRIMINAL CODDLERS.

Old January 7th 05, 08:50 PM

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> Considering that these terrorists kill and maim innocent americans
> every day on the highways, i think anyone caught doing 20 mph or more
> over the limit should do ten years in the can and never be allowed to
> drive again.

Fine them and points against license, like what we do now. Speeders
haven't killed anyone; some people who may have been speeding and who
then cause an accident might have killed someone, but nearly all people
speed at some point and never kill anyone, so your characterization is
incorrect.

Old January 7th 05, 10:46 PM

at wrote on 1/7/05 12:50 PM:

> > Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> >> Considering that these terrorists kill and maim innocent americans
> >> every day on the highways, i think anyone caught doing 20 mph or

more
> >> over the limit should do ten years in the can and never be allowed

> >> drive again.

> > Fine them and points against license, like what we do now. Speeders
> > haven't killed anyone; some people who may have been speeding and

who
> > then cause an accident might have killed someone, but nearly all

people
> > speed at some point and never kill anyone, so your characterization

is
> > incorrect.

> "Speeders haven't killed anyone;".
>
> Proposal for goofyest statement of 2005. Especially since Mr. Flynn
> goes on to contradict himself later **in the same sentence**.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Candidate above for most clueless reply of 2005!

Helpful clues supplied below:

Bill:
1) It's "goofiest."
2) It's not the next sentence; the semicolon doesn't complete a
sentence, but continues the same one.
3) It doesn't contradict. Read it again. Speeding doesn't kill anyone.
It's the sudden colliding and/or stopping that does that. My point is
that almost everyone speeds and is therefore a speeder, and they've
never killed anyone and likely never will. The OP was proposing to
treat speeders as though they already had killed someone. There is a
difference in what we call "logic" between speeders and in "all
speeders," and "some speeders." While some speeders have killed people
in traffic accidents, most speeders have not (if in fact you grant me
that most everyone from time to time is a speeder).
That was the distinction I was drawing.

Old January 7th 05, 10:46 PM

Old January 7th 05, 11:50 PM
John David Galt

william lynch wrote:
> "Speeders haven't killed anyone;".
>
> Proposal for goofyest statement of 2005.

Not at all. He's merely reporting the true fact that, if anyone gets
hurt, then laws a lot more serious than speeding were being broken,
and those laws are all we need for proper safety. Speeding per se is
a victimless crime.

A good penalty for _enforcing_ speeding laws would be 20 years.
Old January 8th 05, 01:33 AM
Arif Khokar

John David Galt wrote:

> A good penalty for _enforcing_ speeding laws would be 20 years.

What do you suggest the penalty should be for those who enact them?
Old January 8th 05, 01:39 AM
Nate Nagel

Arif Khokar wrote:

> John David Galt wrote:
>
>> A good penalty for _enforcing_ speeding laws would be 20 years.

> What do you suggest the penalty should be for those who enact them?

To be forced to obey them for the rest of their natural lives. If they
can't or won't comply, they will be chauffeured by a driver that will.

I would certainly volunteer a day a month for such duty. It would be my
pleasure to demonstrate just how asinine our speed limit laws can be.

nate

ObWhine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4517044207

--