Turn signal question

Old August 6th 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Noneyabusiness[_1_]

Default Turn signal question

I have a couple of questions about the turn signals on my 95 XJ Sport.

I just replaced a burned out bulb. While it was bad, I noticed the
typical "fast-flash" of the dash indicator (and the working bulb), but
I also noticed that if you held the lever at the point just before it
latches, there is a (warning?) buzzer sound.

Is this indeed a warning buzzer??

So anyway, I replaced the bad bulb in the FRONT and now all the
signals and lights work properly, EXCEPT, when I now hold the turn
signal lever at the point just before it latches, it still flashes
quickly (*without* buzzing) but now the REAR lamp doesn't flash. (It
flashes properly if I pull the lever all the way till it latches).

I determined that I used the wrong BULB in the front (An 1157 for my
old Toyota instead of the proper 2057).

Could this be causing the anomaly?

What IS the difference between the two positions of the turn signal
lever?

TIA

Old August 6th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bob Casanova

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:06:02 GMT, the following appeared in
rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by Noneyabusiness
>:

The first position is for lane changes. When you release it
it returns to "off", but if you pull the lever past the
detent it will stay on until you manually move it back or
straighten from a turn (as you know). FWIW, the buzzing
sound is (in my '98 XJ, anyway) caused by incomplete contact
in the lane-change position; I suspect a relay. On mine it
usually works, but sometimes I get the same symptoms you
describe (right only; left fine). If it wasn't for the
airbag I'd take the steering wheel off and fix it, but for
me it's not worth the hassle of dealing with; YMMV.

>I have a couple of questions about the turn signals on my 95 XJ Sport.
>
>I just replaced a burned out bulb. While it was bad, I noticed the
>typical "fast-flash" of the dash indicator (and the working bulb), but
>I also noticed that if you held the lever at the point just before it
>latches, there is a (warning?) buzzer sound.
>
>Is this indeed a warning buzzer??
>
>So anyway, I replaced the bad bulb in the FRONT and now all the
>signals and lights work properly, EXCEPT, when I now hold the turn
>signal lever at the point just before it latches, it still flashes
>quickly (*without* buzzing) but now the REAR lamp doesn't flash. (It
>flashes properly if I pull the lever all the way till it latches).
>
>I determined that I used the wrong BULB in the front (An 1157 for my
>old Toyota instead of the proper 2057).
>
>Could this be causing the anomaly?
>
>What IS the difference between the two positions of the turn signal
>lever?
>
>TIA

Bob C.

"Evidence confirming an observation is
- McNameless
Old August 7th 06, 09:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Noneyabusiness[_1_]

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 17:50:00 -0400, Bob Casanova >
wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:06:02 GMT, the following appeared in
>rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by Noneyabusiness
>:
>
>The first position is for lane changes. When you release it
>it returns to "off", but if you pull the lever past the
>detent it will stay on until you manually move it back or
>straighten from a turn (as you know). FWIW, the buzzing
>sound is (in my '98 XJ, anyway) caused by incomplete contact
>in the lane-change position; I suspect a relay. On mine it
>usually works, but sometimes I get the same symptoms you
>describe (right only; left fine). If it wasn't for the
>airbag I'd take the steering wheel off and fix it, but for
>me it's not worth the hassle of dealing with; YMMV.

But for me, the buzzing went away after replacing the bulb.
Kinda like it was a secondary warning (along with the faster flash
rate) that a bulb was out...

Old August 7th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bob Casanova

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 08:39:09 GMT, the following appeared in
rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by Noneyabusiness
>:

<snip>

>But for me, the buzzing went away after replacing the bulb.
>Kinda like it was a secondary warning (along with the faster flash
>rate) that a bulb was out...

Could be. On mine, if it buzzes *none* of the lights flash
(which is why I think it's a switch contact problem). And as
I said, it's an intermittent problem.

<snip>
--

Bob C.

"Evidence confirming an observation is
- McNameless

98 A6 Quattro heater, horn, turn signal, lights electrical problem [email protected] Audi 2 December 21st 05 03:38 PM
turn signal ballinjefe22 Ford Explorer 3 December 8th 05 10:15 PM
Neon - rapidly blinking turn signal - diagnosis? Neon96 Dodge 2 August 21st 05 02:10 AM
96 Aerostar Turn Signal Switch MOJO Technology 0 January 28th 05 12:37 AM