First Cindy, now Dennis - you ok, Ric Seyler?

Old July 8th 05, 05:34 AM
Tom in Missouri

Default First Cindy, now Dennis - you ok, Ric Seyler?

Do you think someone is telling your this isn't the place to live?

I used to have a couple of lots near Navarre, FL. Got an offer on one when
I knew we'd probably never move there. Got an offer about the time they hit
us with a $17,000 tax assessment to pave the road and so that one went like
an arrow.

Kind of sad, then Charlie, Francis, Ivan, Jeanne went ripping through and it
seems that selling was the best thing we'd ever done.

Hope you are doing ok. Corvettes can be replaced, that is what insurance is
for, but people, they only go around once.

Old July 8th 05, 08:00 PM
RicSeyler

Ugggghhh this one looks like another Ivan..
We still have blue roofs everywhere and many are still waiting
on settlements. It's a madhouse here today the roads are clogged and
90% of the gas stations are already out, the WallMarts and Lowes have been
picked bare...

And I'm still trying to buy a lot to rebuild on or home to buy....
The housing market went nuts after Ivan, homes shot up 75% over night.
And still haven't leveled off. Arrgh LOLOL

I'm all stocked up on supplies and the Vette is in the relatives garage
covered up.

Tom in Missouri wrote:

>Do you think someone is telling your this isn't the place to live?
>
>I used to have a couple of lots near Navarre, FL. Got an offer on one when
>I knew we'd probably never move there. Got an offer about the time they hit
>us with a $17,000 tax assessment to pave the road and so that one went like
>an arrow.

If we all had crystal balls, we would of bought MicroSoft stock in the
early 80s
and bought all the homes and property we could right before Ivan hit :-)

--
Ric Seyler

--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old July 9th 05, 07:56 AM
Tom in Missouri

Good to hear you got it handled. I heard from a few further around the bend
from you who are hoping Dennis doesn't turn into a Charlie and make a sudden
right turn. They are prepped and ready, generators, etc.

You'd think after four in two months last year, that would be enough for a
decade or two.

Good luck.

.. .

Old July 9th 05, 08:55 PM
RicSeyler

It's like trying to predict the future, but the do "seem" to run in cycles.
I also have a generator and 12 5 gal cans of gas, gotta have my DirecTiVo
and a fan baby !!! LOL

Tom in Missouri wrote:

>Good to hear you got it handled. I heard from a few further around the bend
>from you who are hoping Dennis doesn't turn into a Charlie and make a sudden
>right turn. They are prepped and ready, generators, etc.
>
>You'd think after four in two months last year, that would be enough for a
>decade or two.
>
>Good luck.

. ..

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove -SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------

Old July 10th 05, 07:32 AM
Tom in Missouri

If you still have Internet, here are a couple of nice Central Florida sites:
Infrared:
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/re...irnhcjava.html

Water Vapor:
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/re.../g8wvjava.html

They link off of this one, which friends say was more accurate last year
than the NHC.
http://flhurricane.com/

Earlier, I looked at wind flows and thought it would turn north, since it
had made a northward jog, and end up hitting about Apalachicola. But it
seems to have resumed its NW trek towards Pensacola again.

Good luck.

.. .

Old July 10th 05, 12:22 PM
Dale

Once again you get all the sympathy while the hurricane actually
clobbers me rather than you. As of 5AM, the prediction is that I
get a Cat 4 hurricane this afternoon and you get a tropical storm and
all the reporters. The predicted landfall is identical to Ivan.
Another Alabama hurricane that Pensacola takes credit for. At least we
cleaned up most of the mess after Ivan rather than waiting for the
government to do it for us so we don't have to worry as much about
loose trash blowing around. We fixed our roofs, bulldozed to hopeless,
and got on with our lives and we'll start doing it again tomorrow.

So have a nice day, Ric. And if you drive over here we'll have lots of
vacant lots tomorrow though I doubt the price will not double again.
Ya'll come. I'll be here waiting for you.

Here's wavin' atcha'. See you after the storm. And remember to smile.
It's a small price to pay to live in paradise.

Dale

On or about Sat, 09 Jul 2005 14:55:14 -0500, RicSeyler

Old July 10th 05, 06:39 PM
Tom in Missouri

Well, Dale, you are probably too busy to read this right now, but good luck.
Do what you have to do and don't worry about the rest of the stuff. It
looks like the center is hitting slightly east of Pensacola now, like that
really means anything to anyone anywhere in that area. And the impact is
going far inland, expecting Cat 1 well up into Mississippi and Alabama.

My thoughts go out to everyone in that area.

"Dale" > wrote in message
news
> Once again you get all the sympathy while the hurricane actually
> clobbers me rather than you. As of 5AM, the prediction is that I
> get a Cat 4 hurricane this afternoon and you get a tropical storm and
> all the reporters. The predicted landfall is identical to Ivan.
> Another Alabama hurricane that Pensacola takes credit for. At least we
> cleaned up most of the mess after Ivan rather than waiting for the
> government to do it for us so we don't have to worry as much about
> loose trash blowing around. We fixed our roofs, bulldozed to hopeless,
> and got on with our lives and we'll start doing it again tomorrow.
>
> So have a nice day, Ric. And if you drive over here we'll have lots of
> vacant lots tomorrow though I doubt the price will not double again.
> Ya'll come. I'll be here waiting for you.
>
> Here's wavin' atcha'. See you after the storm. And remember to smile.
> It's a small price to pay to live in paradise.
>
> Dale
>
> On or about Sat, 09 Jul 2005 14:55:14 -0500, RicSeyler
> > wrote or did cause to be written:
>
> >It's like trying to predict the future, but the do "seem" to run in

cycles.
> >I also have a generator and 12 5 gal cans of gas, gotta have my DirecTiVo
> >and a fan baby !!! LOL
> >
> >Tom in Missouri wrote:
> >
> >>Good to hear you got it handled. I heard from a few further around the

bend
> >>from you who are hoping Dennis doesn't turn into a Charlie and make a

sudden
> >>right turn. They are prepped and ready, generators, etc.
> >>
> >>You'd think after four in two months last year, that would be enough for

> >>decade or two.
> >>
> >>Good luck.

been

> >>when

they

> >>hit

> >>like

:-)

Old July 10th 05, 11:00 PM
Dale

Thanks but all the work was done by the time I posted that and then in
the next 2 hours Dennis moved back east and DID clobber Pensacola
instead of Gulf Shores. Landfall was between Pensacola Beach and
Navarre Beach at about 2PM CDT as a Cat 3. I doesn't sound nearly as
bad as Ivan. And a direct hit or even a hit from the east side which
is what Pensacola got is better than what they got a little farther
east in Destin or Fort Walton Beach. Just like Ivan wasn't quite as
bad here with a direct hit 5 miles west of me than it was in Pensacola
25 miles east. It isn't so much the wind as the debris in the water
that comes in. The more water blown across the beach the more debris
that is picked up and the more battering rams you have smashing stuff.
A direct hit means a wind out of the east down the beach rather than
from the south pushing water in.

As far as Gulf Shores, it was a tropical storm. A little rain. A
little steady breeze. Big nothing. Never lost power and never even
lost cable. The town is still deserted but the bridge will be opened
again to residents who have their car stickers at 6AM tomorrow. We
still have a curfew in town from 9PM to 5AM (we have a curfew for
those breaking the mandatory evacuation law. We're really really
serious about this. ).

But I'm going out now and taking down my plywood and I might even rake
the yard tonight rather than wait for tomorrow. And FEMA can keep
their MREs. Might go for a drive in paradise tomorrow .

Here's wavin' atcha.
Dale

On or about Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:39:30 GMT, "Tom in Missouri"

Old July 15th 05, 07:52 PM
RicSeyler

Dale wrote:

>Once again you get all the sympathy while the hurricane actually
>clobbers me rather than you.

<Flipping Dale the Bird> hehehehe ;-)

>As of 5AM, the prediction is that I
>get a Cat 4 hurricane this afternoon and you get a tropical storm and
>all the reporters. The predicted landfall is identical to Ivan.
>Another Alabama hurricane that Pensacola takes credit for. At least we
>cleaned up most of the mess after Ivan rather than waiting for the
>government to do it for us so we don't have to worry as much about
>loose trash blowing around. We fixed our roofs, bulldozed to hopeless,
>and got on with our lives and we'll start doing it again tomorrow.
>
>So have a nice day, Ric. And if you drive over here we'll have lots of
>vacant lots tomorrow though I doubt the price will not double again.
>Ya'll come. I'll be here waiting for you.
>
>Here's wavin' atcha'. See you after the storm. And remember to smile.
>It's a small price to pay to live in paradise.

Yepper, sure is :-)

>Dale
>
>On or about Sat, 09 Jul 2005 14:55:14 -0500, RicSeyler
> wrote or did cause to be written:
>

>>It's like trying to predict the future, but the do "seem" to run in cycles.
>>I also have a generator and 12 5 gal cans of gas, gotta have my DirecTiVo
>>and a fan baby !!! LOL
>>
>>Tom in Missouri wrote:
>>

>>>Good to hear you got it handled. I heard from a few further around the bend
>>>

>>>from you who are hoping Dennis doesn't turn into a Charlie and make a sudden

>>>right turn. They are prepped and ready, generators, etc.
>>>
>>>You'd think after four in two months last year, that would be enough for a
>>>decade or two.
>>>
>>>Good luck.

t...

Old July 15th 05, 07:53 PM
RicSeyler

Not too awful bad, just got power back at the shop late yesterday
and at the house this morning.....

Dealing with this dang heat was getting mighty old.