New '06 models

Old July 7th 05, 01:45 PM
marx404

Default New '06 models

We just got in a "secret" stash of 2006 ION and VUEs. First of all, I am
already impressed with the changes in the ION:

Optonal 2.4L engine has performance suspension and sportier sounding
exhaust. Engine has built-in oil cooler module.

ION & VUE:
New radio! Center large selector dial with tabbed red LCD display and better
sound. sweeet. Lots of chrome inside. A much more classy look for the VUE.
New 5 spoke wheels and wheel covers for the ION.

marx404

Old July 7th 05, 02:21 PM
B. Peg

> We just got in a "secret" stash of 2006 ION and VUEs. First of all, I am
> already impressed with the changes in the ION:
>
> Optonal 2.4L engine has performance suspension and sportier sounding
> exhaust. Engine has built-in oil cooler module.
>
> ION & VUE:
> New radio! Center large selector dial with tabbed red LCD display and
> better
> sound. sweeet. Lots of chrome inside. A much more classy look for the VUE.
> New 5 spoke wheels and wheel covers for the ION.

I had hoped that Saturn would have gotten on the hybrid (or any mileage
improvement means) stick by now since they hinted at it many years ago with
the supposedly hybrid VUE. Toyota will crush them next year when their
hybrid Camry 6 banger comes out. Of course, this is just mho, but with the
cost of gas rising what they do to their interiors while ignoring better
mileage figures of the hybrids won't help Saturn's sales.

As GM sinks even lower.........

B~

Old July 7th 05, 02:50 PM
Jonnie Santos

B. Peg wrote:
>>We just got in a "secret" stash of 2006 ION and VUEs. First of all, I am
>>already impressed with the changes in the ION:
>>
>>Optonal 2.4L engine has performance suspension and sportier sounding
>>exhaust. Engine has built-in oil cooler module.
>>
>>ION & VUE:
>>New radio! Center large selector dial with tabbed red LCD display and
>>better
>>sound. sweeet. Lots of chrome inside. A much more classy look for the VUE.
>>New 5 spoke wheels and wheel covers for the ION.

> I had hoped that Saturn would have gotten on the hybrid (or any mileage
> improvement means) stick by now since they hinted at it many years ago with
> the supposedly hybrid VUE. Toyota will crush them next year when their
> hybrid Camry 6 banger comes out. Of course, this is just mho, but with the
> cost of gas rising what they do to their interiors while ignoring better
> mileage figures of the hybrids won't help Saturn's sales.
>
> As GM sinks even lower.........
>
> B~

My Tundra (Toyota) pickup with a small V8 gets 15-mpg's with a 27 gallon
tank. I spent $55 on my last fill-up (only 22 gallons). Next year
Toyota is coming out with an even bigger Tundra (I'm sure the mileage
will drop too). So their hybrids cater to one segment of the market and
also allow the continuation of vehicles like mine by maintaining the
overall (total) mile per gallon ratings of Toyota's fleet.

Hybrids sound neat to me, however you have to ask yourself what are they
going to do with all those batteries at the end of the life cycle's???
I'm not so sure it's such green-friendly technology after all - feels
like (emotionally) a shell game.

I think most will agree GM has problems, but I don't think a hybrid
Camary will crush them.

Maybe when my Tundra wears out Saturn will have finally come out with a
pickup. A flat-8 mounted under the truck bed, smart-all-wheel-drive,
polymer panels and made in Spring Hill!
Old July 7th 05, 06:50 PM
Ron Herfurth

"B. Peg" > wrote in message
> > We just got in a "secret" stash of 2006 ION and VUEs. First of all, I am
> > already impressed with the changes in the ION:

snip

Has anyone seen the new cypress green yet? I'm hoping it's just a little
darker than rainforest green.

ron 94 SL-1

Old July 7th 05, 08:10 PM
blah blah

In article <eqaze.25698$8o.3487@fed1read03>, iohuni2005-newsgroups2
@yahoo.com says...
> B. Peg wrote:
> >>We just got in a "secret" stash of 2006 ION and VUEs. First of all, I am
> >>already impressed with the changes in the ION:
> >>
> >>Optonal 2.4L engine has performance suspension and sportier sounding
> >>exhaust. Engine has built-in oil cooler module.
> >>
> >>ION & VUE:
> >>New radio! Center large selector dial with tabbed red LCD display and
> >>better
> >>sound. sweeet. Lots of chrome inside. A much more classy look for the VUE.
> >>New 5 spoke wheels and wheel covers for the ION.

> > I had hoped that Saturn would have gotten on the hybrid (or any mileage
> > improvement means) stick by now since they hinted at it many years ago with
> > the supposedly hybrid VUE. Toyota will crush them next year when their
> > hybrid Camry 6 banger comes out. Of course, this is just mho, but with the
> > cost of gas rising what they do to their interiors while ignoring better
> > mileage figures of the hybrids won't help Saturn's sales.
> >
> > As GM sinks even lower.........

No worries, hybrids cost to much and dont meet EPA numbers. GM always
meets EPA numbers.

> My Tundra (Toyota) pickup with a small V8 gets 15-mpg's with a 27 gallon
> tank. I spent $55 on my last fill-up (only 22 gallons). Next year
> Toyota is coming out with an even bigger Tundra (I'm sure the mileage
> will drop too). So their hybrids cater to one segment of the market and
> also allow the continuation of vehicles like mine by maintaining the
> overall (total) mile per gallon ratings of Toyota's fleet.

Holy $#*#!
15mpg is worse than the EPA city rating! I keep telling people Jap cars
and trucks DO NOT meat their EPA ratings but no one seems to listen... A
Chevy Silverado makes more power, has a larger displacment, huals more,
and gets better gas mileage! Hence Japs cant make trucks. You would of
been WAY better off with a Chevy Colorado Jonnie. I'm sure it would of
hauled what ever you needed to haul and the 5cyl gets 23mpg on the
highway. I just wish the 5cyl came with a 5 speed manual option.

> Hybrids sound neat to me, however you have to ask yourself what are they
> going to do with all those batteries at the end of the life cycle's???
> I'm not so sure it's such green-friendly technology after all - feels
> like (emotionally) a shell game.
>
> I think most will agree GM has problems, but I don't think a hybrid
> Camary will crush them.

Batteries can be recycled. The problem with Hybrids is they are a money
pit! You spend more money than you could ever possibly save in fuel
cost. GM's problem, along with everyone else, is they expect to have
"RECORD SALES" every year... The market is to flooded! I cant see
replacing my 98 Bonneville for another 10 years. (not that I would ever
buy new)

Btw you hear about the Toyota(or honda?) hybrid stalling problem? I
think its been fixed but I'm sure it will return as these things become
more neglected with time... You also dont want to see my bill I'll be
charging for fixing these things in the years to come. >

> Maybe when my Tundra wears out Saturn will have finally come out with a
> pickup. A flat-8 mounted under the truck bed, smart-all-wheel-drive,
> polymer panels and made in Spring Hill!

If GM's stupid enough to keep saturating the market they may do that...
In the mean time consider looking into a Colorado.
Old July 7th 05, 11:15 PM
Philip Nasadowski

In article >,
blah blah > wrote:

> No worries, hybrids cost to much and dont meet EPA numbers. GM always
> meets EPA numbers.

Hybrids aren't big sellers, nd even the optimists are now saying they
won't get much more than 10% of the total market...

In real life, hybrids just don't get that much better mileage. I bet
Toyota could have just taken the Prius's laughable 70hp motor, put it in
an Echo, gotten nearly the same EPA numbers. But it wouldn't have sold
because it'd be seen as what the Prius really is - a ****ty gutless
Toyota.

> Batteries can be recycled. The problem with Hybrids is they are a money
> pit! You spend more money than you could ever possibly save in fuel
> cost.

*ding!* They don't make economic sense. If you drive high miles,
you're mostly highway - Hybrids suck there. If you don't, the costs
NEVER outweight the savings, especially in normally hot or cold climates
where the engine runs all the time. It's the same reason why those
$1000 front load eco washers aren't worth it - you'll never save that
much water/electricity over the 4 year lifespan of them (a better idea -
make appliances that last 20 years, you'll save more energy)

> Btw you hear about the Toyota(or honda?) hybrid stalling problem?

Which one? The Prius is a buggy car, and a pretty lethargic one at that.

> If GM's stupid enough to keep saturating the market they may do that...
> In the mean time consider looking into a Colorado.

GM's biggest issue now is interior fit/finish, and lack of a nice RWD
sedan platform or two. And B-O-R-I-N-G styling....
Old July 8th 05, 02:48 AM
marx404

I haven't seen any new colors yet, they should start appearing soon.

As far as hybrids, do check out Saturnfans.com where there are pics of the
hybris VUE that they have been working on. Supposedly, I hear that Saturn
has been silently working on hybrids for years, but just has not found a way
to make them efficient, safe, reliable or affordable.

marx404

Old July 8th 05, 02:53 AM
Jonnie Santos

blah blah wrote:
> In article <eqaze.25698$8o.3487@fed1read03>, iohuni2005-newsgroups2
> @yahoo.com says...

>>>I had hoped that Saturn would have gotten on the hybrid (or any mileage
>>>improvement means) stick by now since they hinted at it many years ago with
>>>the supposedly hybrid VUE. Toyota will crush them next year when their
>>>hybrid Camry 6 banger comes out. Of course, this is just mho, but with the
>>>cost of gas rising what they do to their interiors while ignoring better
>>>mileage figures of the hybrids won't help Saturn's sales.
>>>
>>>As GM sinks even lower.........

> No worries, hybrids cost to much and dont meet EPA numbers. GM always
> meets EPA numbers.
>

>>My Tundra (Toyota) pickup with a small V8 gets 15-mpg's with a 27 gallon
>>tank. I spent $55 on my last fill-up (only 22 gallons). Next year
>>Toyota is coming out with an even bigger Tundra (I'm sure the mileage
>>will drop too). So their hybrids cater to one segment of the market and
>>also allow the continuation of vehicles like mine by maintaining the
>>overall (total) mile per gallon ratings of Toyota's fleet.

> Holy $#*#!
> 15mpg is worse than the EPA city rating! I keep telling people Jap cars
> and trucks DO NOT meat their EPA ratings but no one seems to listen... A
> Chevy Silverado makes more power, has a larger displacment, huals more,
> and gets better gas mileage! Hence Japs cant make trucks. You would of
> been WAY better off with a Chevy Colorado Jonnie. I'm sure it would of
> hauled what ever you needed to haul and the 5cyl gets 23mpg on the
> highway. I just wish the 5cyl came with a 5 speed manual option.

I can't get past those arched eyebrows (fender lines) on the
Colorado/Canyon - same for the new Tacoma - yuk.

But it's up 2 mpg's from the '04's (grin). The '05's have 282hp/325lbs,
and it's total overkill for trips to the landfill or taking the dogs to
the vet. It did bring home a new BBQ from Home Depot over the holiday -
so I guess the extra hp and torque came in handy!

I have been kinda interested in a boat to pull - but so far the money is
just not there to support and this old house needs waaaay too much work
before spending/borrowing that kinda of dollars.

The tech who works on our fork trucks etc, told me Toyota's suck fuel.
But I really don't drive much, so mpg's isn't an issue (yet).

Objectively I think Toyota's best effort was their standard size (small)
pickup. The 4 banger was just awesome from stories and people I've
spoke with. I just didn't want another small pickup - I got rid of a 20
year old Isuzu that would NOT die.

We'll see how my V8 with 9,000 valves, 20 cams and variable valve timing
does. I've read something about a piston slap issue, but don't know how
common that is - of course there's a whole tirade going on the the GM
camp with one of the V8's and piston slap too. Whatever...

I originally wanted a Titan with more hp, but I kept reading about
inconsistent build quality and I didn't want to play roulette with my money.

As it was the '05 Tundra has an improved autobox (5th/OD was a prob in
older Tundras) as well as braking issues (gee, what were they thinking).

This is my first Toyota - I still miss the old Saturn and the dealer.

>>Hybrids sound neat to me, however you have to ask yourself what are they
>>going to do with all those batteries at the end of the life cycle's???
>>I'm not so sure it's such green-friendly technology after all - feels
>>like (emotionally) a shell game.
>>
>>I think most will agree GM has problems, but I don't think a hybrid
>>Camary will crush them.

> Batteries can be recycled. The problem with Hybrids is they are a money
> pit! You spend more money than you could ever possibly save in fuel
> cost. GM's problem, along with everyone else, is they expect to have
> "RECORD SALES" every year... The market is to flooded! I cant see
> replacing my 98 Bonneville for another 10 years. (not that I would ever
> buy new)
>
> Btw you hear about the Toyota(or honda?) hybrid stalling problem? I
> think its been fixed but I'm sure it will return as these things become
> more neglected with time... You also dont want to see my bill I'll be
> charging for fixing these things in the years to come. >
>

>>Maybe when my Tundra wears out Saturn will have finally come out with a
>>pickup. A flat-8 mounted under the truck bed, smart-all-wheel-drive,
>>polymer panels and made in Spring Hill!

> If GM's stupid enough to keep saturating the market they may do that...
> In the mean time consider looking into a Colorado.

Yeah, I'm a little confused as to what Saturn is supposed to be since
it's been mainlined like other GM products. Not so different anymore.

Do you know what ever happened to the rear suspension issue on the VUE?
And what's the consensus with the Honda V6 they're using? I read it's
a ******* to service (regarding plug changes).
Old July 8th 05, 04:14 AM
blah blah

> I can't get past those arched eyebrows (fender lines) on the
> Colorado/Canyon - same for the new Tacoma - yuk.

Hey I like the side profile of the Colorados & Canyons...

> But it's up 2 mpg's from the '04's (grin). The '05's have 282hp/325lbs,
> and it's total overkill for trips to the landfill or taking the dogs to
> the vet. It did bring home a new BBQ from Home Depot over the holiday -
> so I guess the extra hp and torque came in handy!

You're joking right? :P
That reminds me, you see that truck commercial that goes something like
"now that the new tundra/Tacoma has more power what will you do?" The
one guy says "get my tools back" and so he rips down a garage door and
grabs a small tool chest... All I could do is laugh at how unimpressive
that commercial was because EVERYTHING done in that commercial could be
done with my "carrrrrrr". <roles eyes>
The stuff I've had to haul and the stuff my father hauls is what trucks
are ment for. 2500lbs vertical mills and other large machinery,
motorcycles, engines, and everything else that would break most wanna be
trucks. You'll often hear people who drive the heavy duty trucks, like a
2500 w/Duramax, say their truck is dumber than a box of rocks. Why's
that? Because it has no idea if its pulling a load or not. Like it aint
even there... Little or no effect on gas mileage... I know my dads 2500
5.7L always seemed to run and handle better when it's hauling a load.

> I have been kinda interested in a boat to pull - but so far the money is
> just not there to support and this old house needs waaaay too much work
> before spending/borrowing that kinda of dollars.
>
> The tech who works on our fork trucks etc, told me Toyota's suck fuel.
> But I really don't drive much, so mpg's isn't an issue (yet).
>
> Objectively I think Toyota's best effort was their standard size (small)
> pickup. The 4 banger was just awesome from stories and people I've
> spoke with. I just didn't want another small pickup - I got rid of a 20
> year old Isuzu that would NOT die.

Yeah but other than sticking 300 pounds in the back of them what do you
have?

> We'll see how my V8 with 9,000 valves, 20 cams and variable valve timing
> does. I've read something about a piston slap issue, but don't know how
> common that is - of course there's a whole tirade going on the the GM
> camp with one of the V8's and piston slap too. Whatever...
>
> I originally wanted a Titan with more hp, but I kept reading about
> inconsistent build quality and I didn't want to play roulette with my money.
>
> As it was the '05 Tundra has an improved autobox (5th/OD was a prob in
> older Tundras) as well as braking issues (gee, what were they thinking).
>
> This is my first Toyota - I still miss the old Saturn and the dealer.

snip

> > If GM's stupid enough to keep saturating the market they may do that...
> > In the mean time consider looking into a Colorado.

> Yeah, I'm a little confused as to what Saturn is supposed to be since
> it's been mainlined like other GM products. Not so different anymore.

I would like for them to go back to a simple line of inexpensive cars
like the S-series but with RWD. $12K base to $18K tops. Ecotecs would of
been great in a S-series.

> Do you know what ever happened to the rear suspension issue on the VUE?
> And what's the consensus with the Honda V6 they're using? I read it's
> a ******* to service (regarding plug changes).

Vue recalled, all should be pretty much fixed by now I think. Marx might
know more about it. Honda's have always been a ******* to service.
Everythings in the way of everything. There are only a handful of
engines in production that I will encourage people to buy. Everyone
wants to look at styling first, I look at the powertrain first. They
must think I'm pushing them only because I make money off of them or
something. I'll make my money either way. I just want to make it easier
on "myself" which is usually easier on your wallet...

Old July 8th 05, 04:17 AM
B. Peg

> "marx404"wrote:
> As far as hybrids, do check out Saturnfans.com where there are pics of the
> hybris VUE that they have been working on. Supposedly, I hear that Saturn
> has been silently working on hybrids for years, but just has not found a
> way
> to make them efficient, safe, reliable or affordable.

They've been talking about their Saturn hybrid for years, but still nothing
and I doubt if anything will occur in the next few years. The fanfare would
precede it for months, but GM is silent so I doubt if they are really trying
to do anything to circumvent Toyota or second place Honda in the hybrid war.
Supposedly Toyota is licensing their first generation hybrid technology to
Ford which will keep Toyota at the head of the pack for some time if
American car maker's cannot figure out how to do it as Toyota has.

For the naysayers, look over the Prius forum. One guy has the record of 111
mpg on his hybrid. Beats my neighbor's Ram truck's 9 mpg Hemi all to hell.
Neighbor bitched about paying $150 to drive from one town and back in
California. Try going to a Toyota dealer and buying one. Ours gets maybe
12 hybrid cars in and they are gone within the week while others (Camry,
Corolla, etc. sit on the lot). Every time the price jumps 20 cents, the
cars sell out.

Fwiw, I test drove the Prius a few months ago and was surprised at the power
delivered from the electric motors (very similar to the Camry), but my test
car's LCD screen showed 48 mpg which makes me a novice in controlling the
gas engine's cut-in. The CA warranty had the battery as a sever year free
replacement due to the battery being assigned to the smog-side of the
equation. Still, it would be costly to replace outside of the warranty but
the dealer insists for high mileage drivers it won't matter. I've heard
their odd transmission is very costly too ($9000 or so) and only available
out of Japan. It really is a high tech car and maybe will run into some
high-tech bills as well in time.

I prefer the Ram truck truth be known. Even insurance between the two
(Prius vs. Ram) was only $20 or so (about $1200 normal one year from So. CA
Auto Club for either per my checking quotes). However, shoving $150 a day
for commuting/travel gas in a Dodge RAM sadly leaves me no option for one.
Need to hit at least 30 mpg to feel comfortable with the gas and commutes I
do.

B~