96 LHS problem

Old January 10th 05, 04:33 PM
Steve

JWald wrote:

> It's fixed. Timing belt was bad and it jumped out of time. Only problem is
> that I think she got screwed on the repair bill. As she was out of town at
> the time of the breakdown, I think the guy took advantage of her and
> replaced a bunch of stuff that didn't seem to be needed. In addition to the
> belt, she got a water pump, thermostat/gasket, a couple of pulleys, plugs,
> oil change, and something else. With labor.... $790.

On the 3.5, it makes sense to change the water pump and timing belt
tensioner pulley while you're in there, and "getting in there" is most
of the labor cost. Since you have to drain the cooling system, a
thermostat makes sense too. A tensioner and water pump might add around
$150 to the total parts cost, almost nothing to the labor cost. OTOH, if
you put it all back together and the water pump were to fail in 5000
miles, you'd be paying several hundred in labor (again) PLUS the ~150
for the parts.

The oil change and any other pulleys besides the timing-belt tensioner
would be a rip off unless they were visibly damaged for some reason.
Old January 10th 05, 09:32 PM
Joe

I think you did great. The water pump is a must have. I can't tell what
pulleys were replaced, but that might have been warranted as well. There are
several idlers on that engine and they don't last forever, not by a long
shot. The thermostat, well, that was probably just gold plating, but of
course they're very cheap.

Old January 10th 05, 09:32 PM
Joe

Old January 11th 05, 05:59 AM
JWald

Thanks for all the help guys. Upon further reflection, I suppose the bill
was in the ball park after all. I/We were just reacting to the shock of the
repair costs. She's happy to have her car, I'm happy to not have her car. It
all works out.

--
jwald

Old January 11th 05, 05:59 AM