service engine soon light

Old August 8th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Gordon[_1_]

Default service engine soon light

2002 Dodge Stratus R/T

85,000 miles

Seem after filling the gas tank the service engine soon light comes on and stays on till the tank is about half empty. The light comes on about 30 miles after refueling. The fuel
cap is on as tight as it will go. This has been going on for the past 5 or 6 fuel tank refills...

Old August 8th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Gordon" > wrote in message
> 2002 Dodge Stratus R/T
>
> 85,000 miles
>
> Seem after filling the gas tank the service engine soon light comes on and

stays on till the tank is about half empty. The light comes on about 30
miles after refueling. The fuel
> cap is on as tight as it will go. This has been going on for the past 5

or 6 fuel tank refills...

> >G<

Get the fault code and post it!! Most parts stores will do that for free.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old August 8th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
RM v2.0

"Gordon" > wrote in message
> 2002 Dodge Stratus R/T
>
> 85,000 miles
>
> Seem after filling the gas tank the service engine soon light comes on and
> stays on till the tank is about half empty. The light comes on about 30
> miles after refueling. The fuel
> cap is on as tight as it will go. This has been going on for the past 5
> or 6 fuel tank refills...
>
>>G<

Bad seal on fuel cap?

Old August 8th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"RM v2.0" > wrote in message
news

> "Gordon" > wrote in message
> > 2002 Dodge Stratus R/T
> >
> > 85,000 miles
> >
> > Seem after filling the gas tank the service engine soon light comes on

and
> > stays on till the tank is about half empty. The light comes on about 30
> > miles after refueling. The fuel
> > cap is on as tight as it will go. This has been going on for the past 5
> > or 6 fuel tank refills...
> >
> >>G<

> Bad seal on fuel cap?

If you are filling it up and then immediately driving off it has nothing to
do with the fuel cap. Find out what fault code has been stored

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old August 9th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy

cycle the ignition key 3 times and watch the odometer to see if any fault codes
are recorded and displayed then disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and see
what happens with the lite

Old August 9th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Gordon[_1_]

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 21:57:42 GMT, "RM v2.0" > wrote:

>"Gordon" > wrote in message
.. .
>> 2002 Dodge Stratus R/T
>>
>> 85,000 miles
>>
>> Seem after filling the gas tank the service engine soon light comes on and
>> stays on till the tank is about half empty. The light comes on about 30
>> miles after refueling. The fuel
>> cap is on as tight as it will go. This has been going on for the past 5
>> or 6 fuel tank refills...
>>
>>>G<

>Bad seal on fuel cap?

This has been my guess.

Old August 9th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"philthy" <"noway "@ seeya.net> wrote in message

> cycle the ignition key 3 times and watch the odometer to see if any fault

codes
> are recorded and displayed then disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and

see
> what happens with the lite
>
> maxpower wrote:
>
> > "RM v2.0" > wrote in message
> > news

on
> > and

about 30

past 5

> > > Bad seal on fuel cap?
> > >

> > If you are filling it up and then immediately driving off it has nothing

> > do with the fuel cap. Find out what fault code has been stored
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

Hey dirty I see you found out how to use spell check!!! now just learn how
to post to the correct person.

Old August 9th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Gordon" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 21:57:42 GMT, "RM v2.0" > wrote:
>

> >"Gordon" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> 2002 Dodge Stratus R/T
> >>
> >> 85,000 miles
> >>
> >> Seem after filling the gas tank the service engine soon light comes on

and
> >> stays on till the tank is about half empty. The light comes on about

30
> >> miles after refueling. The fuel
> >> cap is on as tight as it will go. This has been going on for the past

5
> >> or 6 fuel tank refills...

> >Bad seal on fuel cap?
> >

> This has been my guess.
>
> >G<

The only time that monitor is run would be when the outside temp is within
10 degrees of the engine temperature. If your engine is hot at the pump the
monitor will not run until it cools down.
Find out what fault code is stored.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old August 10th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Gordon[_1_]

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 15:07:25 -0400, "maxpower" > wrote:

>"Gordon" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 21:57:42 GMT, "RM v2.0" > wrote:
>>

>> >"Gordon" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>and

>30

>5

>> >Bad seal on fuel cap?
>> >

>> This has been my guess.
>>
>> >G<

>The only time that monitor is run would be when the outside temp is within
>10 degrees of the engine temperature. If your engine is hot at the pump the
>monitor will not run until it cools down.
>Find out what fault code is stored.
>
>Glenn Beasley
>Chrysler Tech

Thanks and will do as soon as I get a chance. Does the light have to be on or does the microprocessor store errors? The light went back out yesterday afternoon, fuel tank @ 2/3
full...

Old August 10th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

wrote:

> >"Gordon" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> .. .

on
> >and

about
> >30

past
> >5

> >> This has been my guess.

> >The only time that monitor is run would be when the outside temp is

within
> >10 degrees of the engine temperature. If your engine is hot at the pump

the
> >monitor will not run until it cools down.
> >Find out what fault code is stored.
> >
> >Glenn Beasley
> >Chrysler Tech
> >

> Thanks and will do as soon as I get a chance. Does the light have to be

on or does the microprocessor store errors? The light went back out
yesterday afternoon, fuel tank @ 2/3
> full...
>
> >G<

It will store a code. unless the problem fixes itself then it could clear on
so many good starts.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech