I'm not using a K&N air filter ever again...

Old September 12th 05, 08:07 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, wrote:

> But then agin, people are still buying that "Tornado" off television
> promising a ridiculous 20% more HP. Did anyone see the "Mythbusters"
> test on that device?

It's sad that Mythbusters would *have* to do a show on it. But then, they
stopped teaching science, logic and critical thinking in US schools long
ago.
Old September 12th 05, 09:03 PM

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:04:22 -0400, "Richard" <rfeirste at
nycap.rr.com> wrote:

>GM just announced that the oil from an over-oiled, after market, air filter
>is causing computer sensor problems and that they will no longer cover such
>problems under their warranty.
>
>Richard.

Over Oiled is the problem there - not the fact they are aftermarket,
or re-usable, or even oiled.
Old September 12th 05, 11:14 PM
Ryan Underwood

"Daniel J. Stern" > writes:

>It's sad that Mythbusters would *have* to do a show on it. But then, they
>stopped teaching science, logic and critical thinking in US schools long
>ago.

Have primary schools ever actually taught science, as in applying the
scientific method? I remember my "science" classes being little more than
nature & technology classes. I participated in a science fair in middle
school, but aside from that, the only pre-college exposure I got to the
scientific method that I can recall came when studying for standardized tests.
I find that to be a rather sad state of affairs.

Old September 12th 05, 11:34 PM
tim bur

you could be the m.c.

Old September 13th 05, 03:46 AM

I think you misunderstood me. The fellow who was supposedly in charge
of an operation that used $30,000 air filters a week was going by what
he heard from ads or even engineers at the K&N company itself? That
sounded patently absurd or tremendously incompetent. Come on, if he
had any engineering or scientific or any technical background, he would
understand "bias." Bias occurs all the time, regardless of the haloes
around even so-called doctors or scientists [see huge problems with FDA
and NIH]. If they are working for the company, you take their
statements with a huge grain of salt as self-serving. I find it
difficult to believe someone would make a huge business decision based
on a company that is selling the product. He could at least ask the
guys next door or independent mechanics or independent labs or even the
labs where he had the oil analyzed. They probably knew about K&N
filters since they were doing the analysis of the oil in the first
place.

Old September 13th 05, 05:05 AM
Joe Pfeiffer

" > writes:

> I think you misunderstood me. The fellow who was supposedly in charge
> of an operation that used $30,000 air filters a week was going by what
> he heard from ads or even engineers at the K&N company itself? That
> sounded patently absurd or tremendously incompetent. Come on, if he

Reread the report. Based on hearsay, he felt it was worth testing the
K&N. They conducted a test; K&N flunked. The only decision they made
based on the ads was to conduct a study and see if it was true; for
the kind of money he's talking about, that's the only responsible
thing to do.
skype: jjpfeifferjr
Old September 13th 05, 08:48 PM

> Wonder what kind of manufacturing standards this K&N distributor had?

What makes you think the distributor has anything to do with K&N quality
control?

Everybody on the group has told you that the K&N concept, product,
engineering,
and quality are pretty questionable.