'99 Intrepid - Dealer Stripped Oil Pan Drain threads?

Old June 29th 05, 12:06 PM
cavedweller

"Ed" > wrote in message ...
> wrote:

<clipped>
flawlessly or put hundreds of lives at risk. ETOPS (i.e. long distance
> flights overwater with twin engines) aircraft demand an even higher
> standard--the same crew can't even work on both engines!

<clipped>

ETOPS: Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim

Old June 30th 05, 01:09 AM

ETOPS: Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim

I was waiting for that one...it's true.

Personally I think Lycoming and Continental both belong in one place
and one place only...a museum.

Old June 30th 05, 06:27 PM
Matt Whiting

Bill Putney wrote:

> Both the piggy-back and the OS plugs cleverly avoid the drill-and-tap
> issue by having fluted self-tapping threads to form new threads into the
> damaged hole (exactly like self-tapping screws, only bigger). All
> that's needed is a wrench and about 10 minutes time.

Where do the metal shavings from the newly self-tapped threads go?

Matt
Old June 30th 05, 06:33 PM
Matt Whiting

Bill Putney wrote:

> Fram and another company (Fumoto, IIRC), make popular quick release
> drain valves to fit the common pan drain hole thread. I don't like them
> for a couple of reasons, but that's just me. Let me age a few more
> years, and I may start using them on my cars.

I never trusted them either ... until I owned a Cessna Skylane whose
Continental engine had a quick drain. It worked great and never caused
a problem. I would now consider one for a car. If the FAA will approve
them for airplanes, they must be reliable. My only concern on a car
would be having it hang down far enough to get knocked off by road
debris. This obviously isn't a concern inside an airplane cowling.

Matt
Old June 30th 05, 06:38 PM
Art

The new plug is magnetic and holds on to them.

news

Old June 30th 05, 10:50 PM
Matt Whiting

Art wrote:

> The new plug is magnetic and holds on to them.
>

> "Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
> news >
>>Bill Putney wrote:
>>

>>>Both the piggy-back and the OS plugs cleverly avoid the drill-and-tap
>>>issue by having fluted self-tapping threads to form new threads into the
>>>damaged hole (exactly like self-tapping screws, only bigger). All that's
>>>needed is a wrench and about 10 minutes time.

>>Where do the metal shavings from the newly self-tapped threads go?
>>

>>Matt

What if the pan threads are aluminum?

Matt
Old July 1st 05, 12:57 AM

The Porsche PFM was technically very successful. It failed because of
Porsche's refusal to accomodate the trends and their pricing, which was
higher than a Lycoming or Continental because they thought their
product was more turbine-like.

Most of LyCon's market is now either Experimental or STC retrofit to
certified aircraft-i.e.,O-320's in 150s to replace 0-200s or 0-235's,
0-360's to replace O-300 or GO-300 Skyhawks, etc. Porsche refused to
sell to homebuilders and would only allow STC conversions if they did
the work themselves to ridiculous standards.

Porsche also chose to carry full product liability insurance, having
decided that their US auto distribution operations could be vulnerable
to judgment. Product liability insurance has taken another upswing with
the low interest rates prevalent today.

When the certificated PFM engine's parts went out of line production
as the new Porsches transitioned engines, and it became apparent the
OEM market would never pay a premium over LyCon gross overpricing in
the first place, Porsche chose to pull the plug in grand fashion. They
paid Mooney a bundle to offer the PFM owners a choice-trade their
aircraft for a brand new one or get a new Continental FWF on theirs.

I think they actually got the FAA to rescind the type certificate,
meaning the aircraft were no longer eligible for standard category
operation if the owners had proven truculent.

Old July 1st 05, 12:59 AM
Art

Actually, I was under the impression that there was a steel insert in
aluminum pans to hold the plug so the stripping rate should be the same
between aluminum and steel pans but aluminum pans are a lot more expensive
to replace.

Old July 1st 05, 10:54 AM
Matt Whiting

> The Porsche PFM was technically very successful. It failed because of
> Porsche's refusal to accomodate the trends and their pricing, which was
> higher than a Lycoming or Continental because they thought their
> product was more turbine-like.

The main complaint about the Lyconentals is that they are too expensive
and have old technology. Everyone says look how cheap modern high-tech
car engines are. The implication is that it is a piece of cake to make
a high-tech AND inexpensive airplane engine using similar technology.
Porsche found that this isn't the case and it is well rumored that Honda
and maybe Toyota have also investigated this market and chose to pass.
The reality is that airplane engines run at much higher continuous power
outputs than almost any other engine, except maybe some marine
applications. It simply isn't easy to design a lightweight and cheap
engine that can last in this application.

> When the certificated PFM engine's parts went out of line production
> as the new Porsches transitioned engines, and it became apparent the
> OEM market would never pay a premium over LyCon gross overpricing in
> the first place, Porsche chose to pull the plug in grand fashion. They
> paid Mooney a bundle to offer the PFM owners a choice-trade their
> aircraft for a brand new one or get a new Continental FWF on theirs.

That was my point. Porsche couldn't do anything that Lycoming or
Continental wasn't already doing. That is my definition of success and
Porsche wasn't successful.

Matt

What to do If a dealer does a bad alignment. chris777 via CarKB.com Technology 5 April 20th 05 04:16 PM
300C order problems [email protected] Chrysler 7 January 21st 05 04:55 PM
Stripped Thread Help Tony Technology 3 December 14th 04 08:16 AM
Stripped Spindle Thread Help Tony 4x4 3 December 13th 04 04:31 AM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 03:41 PM