LED arrays for turn signals, brake lights available yet?

Old May 19th 05, 08:19 PM
Doug

Default LED arrays for turn signals, brake lights available yet?

I've noticed truckers using these arrays, I've heard they last forever
relative to conventional filament bulbs. Are they available for passenger
cars/trucks yet? What about Cherokees?

--
Remove nospam to email

Old May 19th 05, 09:05 PM
Chuck Bremer

there are a handful of companies that make a replacement housing for the XJ
Cherokee into which you can insert the trucker-typle LED (or incandescent)
lamps. For example.: http://farmboydesigns.com/lights/index.htm

I've also seen on TV some companies that make LED arrays that will fit
behind the OE lenses on classic cars/trucks.

Old May 20th 05, 10:49 PM
JohnM

Chuck Bremer wrote:
> there are a handful of companies that make a replacement housing for the XJ
> Cherokee into which you can insert the trucker-typle LED (or incandescent)
> lamps. For example.: http://farmboydesigns.com/lights/index.htm
>
> I've also seen on TV some companies that make LED arrays that will fit
> behind the OE lenses on classic cars/trucks.

I saw LED assemblies that were meant to go into the brake light socket
recently, they were in a dollar-store type tool-store and they wanted a
lot of money for the made-in-china things too. Probably won't ever see
any made in the US, eh?

The LED brakelights should be the berries, but I've seen two trucks in
the past month that had some or all of the LEDs in the unit not working.
Apparently they're not all that tough.

John
Old May 21st 05, 03:02 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You too may look like riser:
http://www.2kracing.com/images/CWT-CE5002CA.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 25th 05, 01:01 AM
Steve

are they DOT approved?
We have equipment at airfields and wanted to use them in our obstruction
lights...but they were worried that the brilliance wouldn't be the same!

Old May 25th 05, 01:12 AM
Jerry Bransford

I'd think the FAA would have objections to using non-FAA approved
obstruction lights if they are a permanent part of the airport.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old May 25th 05, 01:27 AM
Drifter

On Fri, 20 May 2005 17:49:10 -0400, JohnM > wrote:

>Chuck Bremer wrote:
>> there are a handful of companies that make a replacement housing for the XJ
>> Cherokee into which you can insert the trucker-typle LED (or incandescent)
>> lamps. For example.: http://farmboydesigns.com/lights/index.htm
>>
>> I've also seen on TV some companies that make LED arrays that will fit
>> behind the OE lenses on classic cars/trucks.
>>

>I saw LED assemblies that were meant to go into the brake light socket
>recently, they were in a dollar-store type tool-store and they wanted a
>lot of money for the made-in-china things too. Probably won't ever see
>any made in the US, eh?
>
>The LED brakelights should be the berries, but I've seen two trucks in
>the past month that had some or all of the LEDs in the unit not working.
>Apparently they're not all that tough.
>
>John

Most of the LED failures of that type that I have seen were due to
poor solder joints (bad quality control). Fix the joint and the LED
lights right back up.

I just read an interesting article about the coming wave of LED
replacement lights (especially for cars) and how they were having
trouble with designing them for headlights because LED lights just
don't penetrate fog well, and because the lack of heat means
headlights would have to have defroster grids for winter ice and
defogging.

I suspect the HID lights will take over long before LED headlights do
but LED is still probably the wave of the future for almost everything
else in a car.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Old May 26th 05, 12:10 AM
Steve

Well, there are requirements to have them on any tower within 5miles of an
airport. So although this still isn't FAA property, there was still issue
up here in Canuckland

Old May 29th 05, 04:16 PM
Snow

Think you'll find DOT will have objections to them, also 90% of our reg's
come from the FAA handbook. Your local international airport Gestapo should
be able to answer any questions you have,.(assuming you work at a smaller,
not major airport)

Snow...

Old May 29th 05, 05:56 PM
DougW

Snow did pass the time by typing:
> Think you'll find DOT will have objections to them, also 90% of our reg's
> come from the FAA handbook. Your local international airport Gestapo should
> be able to answer any questions you have,.(assuming you work at a smaller,
> not major airport)

Just got back from a biz trip.. They make FAA aproved LED obstruction lamps.
http://www.pr-tech.com/products/ligh...s_led_main.htm

Realizing, that FAA regs don't apply outside the US....

Most of the airfields I see are switching over to LED because the lamps last
much longer, use less power, and are brighter/more directional than the
filement versions.

--
DougW