Help in Colorado Springs

Old March 5th 05, 04:28 AM
tonks

Default Help in Colorado Springs

Hello All, Been a while sence I've been on here and sure miss all yall.
I've got the bug again to do another bug and my wife is driving up to
Colorado Springs on the 15th of this month and will be staying with my
Daughter in law till she gets back on her feet, Having my Grandson.
Anyway she is going to pick up a 69vw bug and pulling it back to here
{Boerne, Tx} when she comes back.
Not asking to much but to find someone there to check the
transmission level to make sure it has plenty of oil in it. From what I
hear this bug is a total disaster but thats the kind I like. It's kinda
like making chicken salid out of chicken $%#$.
The bug is over in Manitou Springs behind some Oriental restaurant 4
blocks west of SafeWay. Has a finder missing on the rear{ which side I
have no idea. I'm up and ready for it. It was given to me and Brenda by
my Daughter in law, was her mothers, Linda Ivy who just passed on, She
knows what we can do with it so it's ours.
I have been restoring a 50 Plymouth just cannot get into it, fricking
part prices are out of this world, going to dump the whole project. My
mistake not checking what prices for parts were. Plus the fact it just
AINT A BUG.......
Can someone get with me on this matter of checking it out. I can
pay you for your service....Thanks...Tony
PS...By the way...BURPPPPPPPPP..

Old March 5th 05, 11:06 AM
Shag

On 4 Mar 2005 20:28:22 -0800, "tonks" > wrote:

>Hello All, Been a while sence I've been on here and sure miss all yall.
>I've got the bug again to do another bug and my wife is driving up to
>Colorado Springs on the 15th of this month and will be staying with my
>Daughter in law till she gets back on her feet, Having my Grandson.
>Anyway she is going to pick up a 69vw bug and pulling it back to here
>{Boerne, Tx} when she comes back.
> Not asking to much but to find someone there to check the
>transmission level to make sure it has plenty of oil in it. From what I
>hear this bug is a total disaster but thats the kind I like. It's kinda
>like making chicken salid out of chicken $%#$.
> The bug is over in Manitou Springs behind some Oriental restaurant 4
>blocks west of SafeWay. Has a finder missing on the rear{ which side I
>have no idea. I'm up and ready for it. It was given to me and Brenda by
>my Daughter in law, was her mothers, Linda Ivy who just passed on, She
>knows what we can do with it so it's ours.
> I have been restoring a 50 Plymouth just cannot get into it, fricking
>part prices are out of this world, going to dump the whole project. My
>mistake not checking what prices for parts were. Plus the fact it just
>AINT A BUG.......
> Can someone get with me on this matter of checking it out. I can
>pay you for your service....Thanks...Tony
> PS...By the way...BURPPPPPPPPP..

Hey, Tony! Good to hear from you! What are your plans for the '69?
Restoring it or something else or not sure since you haven't seen it
yet?

---
"There's nothing wrong with a little shooting as long as the right people get shot."
- Inspector Harry Callahan
Old March 5th 05, 12:46 PM
Erik Dillenkofer

If it was me I'd just rent a flat U-Haul car trailer to load it on instead of towing it on the wheels all that distance, much safer
and better for the beetle too.

Old March 5th 05, 12:57 PM
Tim Rogers

"Erik Dillenkofer" > wrote in message

> If it was me I'd just rent a flat U-Haul car trailer to load it on instead

of towing it on the wheels all that distance, much safer
> and better for the beetle too.

...........Very good advice. I ruined a spindle once with a tow bar on a bug
that hadn't been driven for a long time. Also, unless you bring your own
wheels & tires it's a gamble that you'll make it very far with what's on it.

..............Welcome back Tonk!

Old March 5th 05, 01:05 PM
Shag

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 07:57:04 -0500, "Tim Rogers" >
wrote:

>"Erik Dillenkofer" > wrote in message
>>
>> If it was me I'd just rent a flat U-Haul car trailer to load it on instead

>of towing it on the wheels all that distance, much safer
>> and better for the beetle too.
>>

>..........Very good advice. I ruined a spindle once with a tow bar on a bug
>that hadn't been driven for a long time. Also, unless you bring your own
>wheels & tires it's a gamble that you'll make it very far with what's on it.
>

>.............Welcome back Tonk!

Hmmm... What if someone was gonna flat-tow a beetle on about a three
hour trip using a tow-bar? What things would y'all check if you were
going to do that? Tire pressure, fluid level in transaxle, make sure
it's in neutral (duh). What about *keeping* it in neutral? Remove
the shifter handle so the weight of it won't possibly drop it into
gear? Or tie the shifter into place? What about the steering wheel?
Leave it alone or tie it down? What else?

---
Old March 5th 05, 02:14 PM
Tim Rogers

"Shag" > wrote in message
news

> Hmmm... What if someone was gonna flat-tow a beetle on about a three
> hour trip using a tow-bar? What things would y'all check if you were
> going to do that? Tire pressure, fluid level in transaxle, make sure
> it's in neutral (duh). What about *keeping* it in neutral? Remove
> the shifter handle so the weight of it won't possibly drop it into
> gear? Or tie the shifter into place? What about the steering wheel?
> Leave it alone or tie it down? What else?

...............You can leave the shifter & steering wheel alone. I've never
bothered to check the tranny grease. Tire pressure is important. Wheel
bearings are suspect for a bug that's been sitting outside for a long time.
Bring along a tin of wheel bearing grease and check those front spindle nuts
for being either too tight or loose. If it's IRS, you might consider pulling
the rear axles to reduce the wear and tear on the tranny. I still think that
trailering is a better way to go for really long distance transporting
unless you're confident that the bug is in good condition for towing.

Old March 5th 05, 03:40 PM
dragenwagen

3 hours thats it?

my wife and I towed both the bugs on a 600 mile trip one behind a uhaul and
the other behind our Ford POS. Nuetral, unhook the battery and leave the
ignition on so the steering wheel can turn. Make sure the tires and
bearings are good, good tire pressure. Use safety chains and have good
trailer lights! and dont drive too fast. I kept it about 65mph and watch
out for those damned semi truck tires in the road. And park where you dont
have to back up when getting food or gassing up!

--
************************************************** **************
dragenwagen

Old March 5th 05, 03:41 PM
dragenwagen

Hey Tony... it cant be any worse than my 69 was in!

Good luck on the project!

--
************************************************** **************
dragenwagen
1966 Type I - Daily Driver
1969 Type I - Undergoing heater channel replacement
http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen
"Old VW's Don't Leak Oil, They Mark Their Territory."
************************************************** **************

ups.com...

Old March 5th 05, 05:14 PM
John Willis

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 08:05:40 -0500, Shag
> scribbled this interesting note:

>Hmmm... What if someone was gonna flat-tow a beetle on about a three
>hour trip using a tow-bar? What things would y'all check if you were
>going to do that? Tire pressure, fluid level in transaxle, make sure
>it's in neutral (duh). What about *keeping* it in neutral? Remove
>the shifter handle so the weight of it won't possibly drop it into
>gear? Or tie the shifter into place? What about the steering wheel?
>Leave it alone or tie it down? What else?

Here's what we did one time.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/... a42771a69bed9

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old March 5th 05, 07:11 PM
Scott H

"Shag" wrote ...
> What about the steering wheel?
> Leave it alone or tie it down? What else?

You may need to secure it with a bungee cord. At least have one available if you need it. That'll keep the wheels from whipping back
and forth as they are sometimes prone to do, especially after you turn a sharp corner, but will still have enough give to let the
wheel move a little on turns. If the front end is aligned well, it may track straight without the bungee cord.

Also, if this car has a steering lock where you'll have to put the key in the ignition and turn it on, it'd be a good idea to
disconnect the battery.

I agree with Erik and Tim on a trailer being the best solution. I think the only way I'd trust towing with a tow bar would be on a
car I was very familiar with, such as a daily driver where I *know* that the wheel bearings are good.
I recently dragged home a '72 914 that had been sitting since 1987. It was only an hour away but I still played it safe and put it
on a trailer. Come to think of it, I don't know if you can flat tow a 914. I didn't have a tow bar anyway.

Towing as far as Tonk is, I'd much prefer the peace of mind of having it on a trailer.

--
Scott