Brakes squeal!!!!

Old June 5th 05, 03:56 PM
Bill Putney

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>>> a set of

>>> pair of their

>>> shrink-wrapped and

>>> but I will

>>> car.

>>> turn

>>> between the cheap

>>> chinese rotors

>>> heat, thus

>>> good.

>>> rotors work

>>> driving

>>> gas and

>>> until you

>>> thing you

>>> brakes on

>>> to the car

>>> little bit

>>> from the car in

>>> gas and

>>> dumped into the

>>> waste.

>>> wonder so

>>> Too bad you spoiled an reasonable treatise with a foray into
>>> metallurgy. Rotors aren't made of steel.

>> Yes you are right, for stockers, however:
>>
>> http://www.wilwood.com/Products/002-...-DMS/index.asp
>>

>>> Heat treatment isn't
>>> done to provide heat resistance, it's done to provide enhanced
>>> properties....and it isn't done on rotors anyway.
>>>

>> Your right, what was I thinking! I was too caught up in the issue of not
>> creating the heat to begin with I'm afraid.
>>
>> However, while stock rotors may not be heat treated, heat treating is
>> in fact, done on some rotors, see he

>> http://www.21stcenturymusclecars.com/brakeeradi.asp
>>
>> "These rotors feature increased "mass" or "weight" in the "fire path"
>> which
>> is the point of pad contact, along with curved and directional vanes,
>> combined with balancing and heat treating, ensure EradiSpeedT rotors "
>> -------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>

>> Ted
>>

> I remember a couple years ago when I was toying with the idea of putting
> together a "showroom stock" VW (before I figured out that I just
> couldn't afford to do it right, and it would have to be my daily driver)
> that cryogenically treated rotors were the, ahem, hot ticket. I'm
> curious if a) anyone has any experience with them and do they live up to
> the hype and b) would it be worthwhile to have a set of rotors frozen
> for a regular use passenger car that has a rotor warping problem?
>
> nate

I was just getting ready to post these two links in response to Ted's
post, when you beat me to it:

http://www.frozenrotors.com/

http://www.300below.com/site/home.html

I have used both their products (they both pretty much use Raybestos
rotors that they run thru their cryo process). Presently I have Frozen
Rotor (Diversified Cryogenics) front rotors on my '99 Concorde (rear
brakes on LH cars are 99% problem-free with no special efforts or products).

LH cars are very prone to brake vibration - I have many theories on why,
and not all are related to rotor warping. They actually do use cryo
rotors in racing. They wouldn't without good reason. It is clear that
cryo treatment does change the properties of metal. They prolong the
life of welding tips and engine parts (in extreme conditions).

Anyway, the Frozen Rotors apps. engineer also talked me into a set of
Performance Friction 'Z-Rated™' pads (very reasonably priced:
http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/pad_type.htm). I can tell you
that the combination is working *very* well for me (I'm presently
experiencing the longest period of totally vibration-free brakes I've
had with this car). Brakes are absolutely smooth operating. To be
honest, I cannot tell you how much pads play a part in vibration-free
brakes and how much rotors play - that gets back to my theories of the
various real-world causes of brake vibration, at least as related to LH
cars. I can say that the combination of the Frozen Rotors and the PF
Z-Rated pads has done the trick for my Concorde (80 mile daily commute).
Would I get the same results with the PF pads and non-treated rotors?
Can't say.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old June 5th 05, 05:18 PM
cavedweller

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message
> > Too bad you spoiled an reasonable treatise with a foray into
> > metallurgy. Rotors aren't made of steel.

> Yes you are right, for stockers, however:

Certainly, see below.

> http://www.wilwood.com/Products/002-...-DMS/index.asp
>
> > Heat treatment isn't
> > done to provide heat resistance, it's done to provide enhanced
> > properties....and it isn't done on rotors anyway.
> >

> Your right, what was I thinking! I was too caught up in the issue of not
> creating the heat to begin with I'm afraid.
>
> However, while stock rotors may not be heat treated, heat treating is
> in fact, done on some rotors, see he

> http://www.21stcenturymusclecars.com/brakeeradi.asp
>
> "These rotors feature increased "mass" or "weight" in the "fire path"

which
> is the point of pad contact, along with curved and directional vanes,
> combined with balancing and heat treating, ensure EradiSpeedT rotors "
> -------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

> Ted

"Stocker" is understood......I only offered the comment within the scope
of r.a.m.c. You may have noticed the inappropiate preposition "an" in my
original post...I had used the word "excellent" initially but then decided
that was going a little too far.

Old June 5th 05, 05:27 PM
cavedweller

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
>> > I remember a couple years ago when I was toying with the idea of

putting
> > together a "showroom stock" VW (before I figured out that I just
> > couldn't afford to do it right, and it would have to be my daily driver)
> > that cryogenically treated rotors were the, ahem, hot ticket. I'm
> > curious if a) anyone has any experience with them and do they live up to
> > the hype and b) would it be worthwhile to have a set of rotors frozen
> > for a regular use passenger car that has a rotor warping problem?
> >
> > nate

> I was just getting ready to post these two links in response to Ted's
> post, when you beat me to it:
>
> http://www.frozenrotors.com/
>
> http://www.300below.com/site/home.html

<much clipping>

me results with the PF pads and non-treated rotors?
> Can't say.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> adddress with the letter 'x

Cryogenic treatments for steels are valid when the objective is to eliminate
retained austenite and drive the martensitic (hardening) transformation to
completion. The anture of the mechanism and to what extent it's effective
in production rotor material (grey cast iron) isn't clear to me.....

Old June 6th 05, 01:20 AM
Bill Putney

cavedweller wrote:

> Cryogenic treatments for steels are valid when the objective is to eliminate
> retained austenite and drive the martensitic (hardening) transformation to
> completion. The anture of the mechanism and to what extent it's effective
> in production rotor material (grey cast iron) isn't clear to me.....

They claim that carbide precipitates out, with one result being
increased hardness, slower wear, and more stable and uniform structure.
Maybe that's another way of saying what you did about the retained
austenite (it's been 30 years since I had the metallurgy courses in the
engineering curiculum in which all that stuff was covered in detail).

"Anture"? Is that a typo - I'm not familiar with that word. Never mind
- just figured it out - "nature". Got it.

Anyway, you might delve into some of the technical pages on the 300
Below and Diversified Cryo sites. What I read made sense with what I do
remember from my engineering courses regarding grain structure, phas
transition, etc. You appear to have the right technical background for
critical reading of same.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old June 6th 05, 01:34 AM
Bill Putney

Bill Putney wrote:

> ...phas transition, etc...

Typos are contagious. "phase"

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old June 7th 05, 12:59 AM
cavedweller

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> cavedweller wrote:
>
> > Cryogenic treatments for steels are valid when the objective is to

eliminate
> > retained austenite and drive the martensitic (hardening) transformation

> > completion. The anture of the mechanism and to what extent it's

effective
> > in production rotor material (grey cast iron) isn't clear to me.....

> They claim that carbide precipitates out, with one result being
> increased hardness, slower wear, and more stable and uniform structure.

Steels and irons all have carbides in varying form and degree.
After all, the equilibrium system is iron/iron carbide.(Fe3C)
> Maybe that's another way of saying what you did about the retained
> austenite

Nope.
(it's been 30 years since I had the metallurgy courses in the
> engineering curiculum in which all that stuff was covered in detail).
>
> "Anture"? Is that a typo - I'm not familiar with that word. Never mind
> - just figured it out - "nature". Got it.
>
> Anyway, you might delve into some of the technical pages on the 300
> Below and Diversified Cryo sites. What I read made sense with what I do
> remember from my engineering courses regarding grain structure, phas
> transition, etc. You appear to have the right technical background for
> critical reading of same.

Yep

Brakes squeal!!!! Dan Dodge 23 May 31st 05 08:58 PM
Front brakes dragging, no rear pressure, all disc [email protected] Technology 6 April 25th 05 08:04 PM
Terrible Squeal Sandra Ries Saturn 10 March 15th 05 02:11 PM
97 Neon's brakes squeak and squeal T-Narg Dodge 2 September 29th 04 04:06 PM