Anybody have decaying or decayed ventilation system foam????

Old January 10th 05, 03:22 AM
LaM

Default Anybody have decaying or decayed ventilation system foam????

I have a 95 Passat with bits of foam coming out of the vents. It basically
crumbles to the touch. I've seen this on other VWs, and wonder if anybody
else has noticed it? I called VW of America, and of course they claim they
have never heard of it, or are aware of any health issues associated with
it. I'm sure I can't be the only one with this. I love my VWs, but hate to
think that I'd have to give them up when the bill for replacing this stuff
comes due.

Old January 10th 05, 05:02 AM
Matt B.

"LaM" > wrote in message
>I have a 95 Passat with bits of foam coming out of the vents. It basically
> crumbles to the touch. I've seen this on other VWs, and wonder if anybody
> else has noticed it? I called VW of America, and of course they claim
> they
> have never heard of it, or are aware of any health issues associated with
> it. I'm sure I can't be the only one with this. I love my VWs, but hate
> think that I'd have to give them up when the bill for replacing this stuff
> comes due.

I think mine's totally decayed because it's no longer coming out ('91 GTI).

Old January 10th 05, 09:39 PM
Rob Guenther

There used to be the odd piece that would fly out of my old Golf's vents...
a 1991. Didn't concern me all that much as it would only happen if you
switched the fan to high speed from off, and it was only on a couple
occasions.

Old January 10th 05, 10:40 PM
Lee

I've had this same problem on my 87 Cabriolet when i turn the Vent on high.
it's stop coming out tho for the most part.

-Lee

news

Old January 10th 05, 11:36 PM
Woodchuck

Do I here you think VW should pay for the repair of a 9 year old car? That
said around my part of the US I haven't seen that issue yet. Figure 8 hours
labor plus the box which is about $100.

Old January 11th 05, 03:18 AM
LaM

Well..........

I was more concerned with the affect the foam would have on the family
breathing this stuff in. If the material presents some sort of health
hazard, then I think VW should be involved in some fashion. I'm just trying
to find out how I should complain when I go to my dealer for the next
checkup.

Old January 11th 05, 08:10 AM
Joseph Oberlander

LaM wrote:
> Well..........
>
> I was more concerned with the affect the foam would have on the family
> breathing this stuff in. If the material presents some sort of health
> hazard, then I think VW should be involved in some fashion. I'm just trying
> to find out how I should complain when I go to my dealer for the next
> checkup.

It's commmon foam like they use in speakers and pillows, just
colored a bit differently. No health problems.

They use it to get good seals so that when you switch from defrost
to vent to heater, the air ducts send the air to the right
vents. Everything will work about 75% as good with none
at all in the system, so I'd just live with it.

Old January 12th 05, 04:44 PM
Peter Parker

In article >,
LaM > wrote:
>Well..........
>
> I was more concerned with the affect the foam would have on the family
>breathing this stuff in. If the material presents some sort of health
>hazard, then I think VW should be involved in some fashion. I'm just trying
>to find out how I should complain when I go to my dealer for the next
>checkup.

I sense a frivolous law-suit coming on by Mr. Sheep...
I think he should trade it in and buy a new car so the "new car smell"
which is 100s of times more toxic than a 9 year old. The out-gasses of
the new material should be a better case. I know someone that just buys
used because of the new car out-gasses.

LOL...
--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old January 12th 05, 05:48 PM
Joseph Oberlander

Peter Parker wrote:

> In article >,
> LaM > wrote:
>
>>Well..........
>>
>> I was more concerned with the affect the foam would have on the family
>>breathing this stuff in. If the material presents some sort of health
>>hazard, then I think VW should be involved in some fashion. I'm just trying
>>to find out how I should complain when I go to my dealer for the next
>>checkup.

> I sense a frivolous law-suit coming on by Mr. Sheep...
> I think he should trade it in and buy a new car so the "new car smell"
> which is 100s of times more toxic than a 9 year old. The out-gasses of
> the new material should be a better case. I know someone that just buys
> used because of the new car out-gasses.

So do I. Course, I have alergies. Plus, 2-3 years old? Let someone
else's financial mistake be your gain. Get a Mercedes or Lexus for
the price of a new Accord. (or and Accord for the price of a KIA)

2002 L300 Wagon 37000 miles Ed Saturn 9 January 6th 05 01:16 PM
C5 problems (98 in particular) radar Corvette 12 January 3rd 05 10:04 PM
'01 Stratus heater issues [email protected] Chrysler 10 December 17th 04 12:14 AM