Civic timing belt deflection

Old April 3rd 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Civic timing belt deflection

I need some expert advice please. My 95 Civic EX had the timing belt
replaced by Honda almost 80,000 miles ago. I am worried about the timing
belt tensioner going south because it was not replaced and now has 193,000
miles on it. The engine is making a little unusal noise which I have
pinned down to coming from inside the timing belt cover. The water pump
was also replaced about 6 years ago along with the belt and cam seals.
I'm part way into the disassembly process and have found a rather loose
timing belt. I can move the belt back and forth over an inch with just
the upper timing cover removed. Is it normal for a Honda timing belt to
have this much deflection with 80,000 miles on it. I plan on replacing
everything this time. I have replaced around 6 timing belts but have
never done a Honda. Thanks in advance for any info or assistance.

Old April 3rd 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

duckbill wrote:
> I need some expert advice please. My 95 Civic EX had the timing belt
> replaced by Honda almost 80,000 miles ago. I am worried about the timing
> belt tensioner going south because it was not replaced and now has 193,000
> miles on it. The engine is making a little unusal noise which I have
> pinned down to coming from inside the timing belt cover. The water pump
> was also replaced about 6 years ago along with the belt and cam seals.
> I'm part way into the disassembly process and have found a rather loose
> timing belt. I can move the belt back and forth over an inch with just
> the upper timing cover removed. Is it normal for a Honda timing belt to
> have this much deflection with 80,000 miles on it. I plan on replacing
> everything this time. I have replaced around 6 timing belts but have
> never done a Honda. Thanks in advance for any info or assistance.

I heard that a new belt should have about 1/2'' deflection, so 1'' at
80,000 doesn't seem surprising.

Old April 3rd 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Alan wrote:
> duckbill wrote:
>
>>I need some expert advice please. My 95 Civic EX had the timing belt
>>replaced by Honda almost 80,000 miles ago. I am worried about the timing
>>belt tensioner going south because it was not replaced and now has 193,000
>>miles on it. The engine is making a little unusal noise which I have
>>pinned down to coming from inside the timing belt cover. The water pump
>>was also replaced about 6 years ago along with the belt and cam seals.
>>I'm part way into the disassembly process and have found a rather loose
>>timing belt. I can move the belt back and forth over an inch with just
>>the upper timing cover removed. Is it normal for a Honda timing belt to
>>have this much deflection with 80,000 miles on it. I plan on replacing
>>everything this time. I have replaced around 6 timing belts but have
>>never done a Honda. Thanks in advance for any info or assistance.

> I heard that a new belt should have about 1/2'' deflection, so 1'' at
> 80,000 doesn't seem surprising.

timing belts don't stretch like chains. it means it was never tensioned
correctly in the first place.
Old April 3rd 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

duckbill wrote:
> I need some expert advice please. My 95 Civic EX had the timing belt
> replaced by Honda almost 80,000 miles ago. I am worried about the timing
> belt tensioner going south because it was not replaced and now has 193,000
> miles on it. The engine is making a little unusal noise which I have
> pinned down to coming from inside the timing belt cover. The water pump
> was also replaced about 6 years ago along with the belt and cam seals.
> I'm part way into the disassembly process and have found a rather loose
> timing belt. I can move the belt back and forth over an inch with just
> the upper timing cover removed. Is it normal for a Honda timing belt to
> have this much deflection with 80,000 miles on it. I plan on replacing
> everything this time. I have replaced around 6 timing belts but have
> never done a Honda. Thanks in advance for any info or assistance.

count yourself lucky the belt never skipped! it was set wrong. belts
don't stretch. but the helm workshop manual and follow to the letter
the belt tensioning procedure, and everything will be peachy. maybe
practice a couple of times before doing it "for real".

regarding the tensioner, replacement is probably a good thing. same for
the coolant pump. i personally wouldn't bother with seals unless
they're leaking, and even then if they were leaking, i'd change to a
seal-friendly oil before changing them. scratching the sealing surface
of the cam or crank with a seal puller ruins the seal's ability to do
its job and seriously reduces seal life.
Old April 3rd 06, 06:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

duckbill wrote:

> I need some expert advice please. My 95 Civic EX had the timing belt
> replaced by Honda almost 80,000 miles ago. I am worried about the timing
> belt tensioner going south because it was not replaced and now has 193,000
> miles on it. The engine is making a little unusal noise which I have
> pinned down to coming from inside the timing belt cover. The water pump
> was also replaced about 6 years ago along with the belt and cam seals.
> I'm part way into the disassembly process and have found a rather loose
> timing belt. I can move the belt back and forth over an inch with just
> the upper timing cover removed. Is it normal for a Honda timing belt to
> have this much deflection with 80,000 miles on it. I plan on replacing
> everything this time. I have replaced around 6 timing belts but have
> never done a Honda. Thanks in advance for any info or assistance.

-----------------------------

As was said, they don't really stretch, so the last installer forgot to
turn the engine over a few times to 'center' the belt, or forgot to take
up the slack in the belt a bit by turning the cam in the direction of
the tensioner before locking the tension. An inch isn't a huge
deflection (depending on where it is, of course). Don't go too tight or
it will sing annoyingly . . .

Look at tegger.com for a bunch of tips about changing the TB.

'Curly'

'Curly'
Old April 5th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Thanks for the inputs Jim, Curley and Alan. After removing the bottom
cover, I discoverd at least a 1.5" deflection. I think the noise I heard
was the belt being so loose. I have just finished marking the old belt to
the pullies. It looks new inside and out so far. The tensioner feels
smooth. I'm ready to remove the belt and spin the water pump. The belt,
water pump, and oil seals were replaced excatly 7 years and 77,250 miles
ago. But, not the tensioner according to my Honda dealership paperwork. I
noticed a proceedure to adjust belt tension in my factory maint book by
removing a plug and the top timing cover which is a piece of cake. This
makes me wonder if it might be a good idea to check belt tension at 45,000
miles. Do these belts ever stretch or not? Of course I will change
everything except the oil seals. The seal area looks totally dry. The belt
is so old and all that flapping around could have not been good for it. I'm
sure glad it did not skip! Cheers.