2005 Accord navigation system? (worth getting?)

Old September 3rd 05, 06:25 AM

Default 2005 Accord navigation system? (worth getting?)

I am about to buy a new Accord (2005 V6).
I am still deciding on whethere to get the Honda navigation system.
To anyone who owns a 2004 or 2005 Accord, can you share any raves or
gripes about the system and whethere you would make the same purchase
decision again? Thanks

Old September 3rd 05, 03:35 PM
Dick

We have a 2003 with Nav, but it's the same system. I can't imagine
owning another car without it. When I get in our other car without
one, it seems like I left home without my Right Guard. Depends upon
how much you value being able to find your way around in a strange
city. Or even the one where you live. One feature I really like is,
when you are several thousand miles from home, and ready to return,
you just click on Home and away you go! Being able to control about
200 things on your A/C, radio, etc. with just voice commands is pretty
cool too.

Dick

Old September 4th 05, 02:04 AM

> >I am about to buy a new Accord (2005 V6).
> >I am still deciding on whethere to get the Honda navigation system.
> >To anyone who owns a 2004 or 2005 Accord, can you share any raves or
> >gripes about the system and whethere you would make the same purchase
> >decision again? Thanks

Just bought an Accord 05 with Nav.

The way I thought about it is this: I'd guess the value of the Nav
upon resale / trade depreciates maybe $200-$300/year. For that price,
I thought it was well worth it.

That said, for me the Nav is great. Even if I generally know where I'm
going, I sometimes program the destination in the Nav during rush hour,
so I can turn when I see traffic into unknown side streets and rely on
the Nav to get me where I want to go.

I also like how the voice commands control the temperature and radio.

My only gripe is that its path decision logic seems to prioritize large
roads instead of obvious small-road shortcuts that exist. It does this
much more than mapquest or randmcnally.com

Also, it is fully integrated with the XM and radio, so it would be a
nearly impossible to change to Sirius or an upgraded radio head unit if
you wanted to.

But in my mind, given the $200-$300 per year, I'd definitely choose
this again.

-MVL

Old September 4th 05, 05:45 AM
Dick

On 3 Sep 2005 21:00:02 -0700, wrote:

wrote:
>> I am about to buy a new Accord (2005 V6).
>> I am still deciding on whethere to get the Honda navigation system.
>> To anyone who owns a 2004 or 2005 Accord, can you share any raves or
>> gripes about the system and whethere you would make the same purchase
>> decision again? Thanks

>I've got a 2004 MDX and '04 Accord. Didn't get it on either. Don't
>miss it, but I don't wander around without a city map either.
>
>I have asked several people who have nav, and every single one of them
>can't imagine not having it. Even people like me who were a little
>down on it previously.
>
>$300 a year doesn't seem like a lot, but that makes my Mapquest
>printout worth about $75 since I do that about 4 times a year.'
>
>There are now dial-in cell phone services to give directions. They
>walk you through to the destination with your GPS-enabled cell phone.
>You might take a look at that as an alternative.

Maps are fine, but there is nothing like a Navigation system on a 3 or
4-thousand mile trip through many cities. Anyway, I can't read a map
and drive. And maps can't find hotels, Office Max stores, etc. Even
in a city like Las Vegas, I find it indispensable. Las Vegas has an
unbelievable number of dead-end streets. When you are trying to find
a store, the nav leads you around all those obstacles. There is a
great deal more to the nav system than just a map. It gives you
average and instantaneous fuel consumption, distance to next turn, a
calculator, an appointment calendar, current altitude, current
location by latitude/longitude, etc. It's full of goodies.

Dick
Old September 4th 05, 07:33 AM
SoCalMike

>>I am about to buy a new Accord (2005 V6).
>>I am still deciding on whethere to get the Honda navigation system.
>>To anyone who owns a 2004 or 2005 Accord, can you share any raves or
>>gripes about the system and whethere you would make the same purchase
>>decision again? Thanks

> I've got a 2004 MDX and '04 Accord. Didn't get it on either. Don't
> miss it, but I don't wander around without a city map either.
>
> I have asked several people who have nav, and every single one of them
> can't imagine not having it. Even people like me who were a little
> down on it previously.
>
> $300 a year doesn't seem like a lot, but that makes my Mapquest
> printout worth about $75 since I do that about 4 times a year.'
>
> There are now dial-in cell phone services to give directions. They
> walk you through to the destination with your GPS-enabled cell phone.
> You might take a look at that as an alternative.

i got a magellan sportrak map a couple years ago. holds 5Mb worth of
info, equivalent to the whole LA region of SoCal, from encino down to
irvine. every street, points of interest, etc.

it has a built-in "basemap" of every major freeway in the nation. so
even with no "map" loaded, you still have a basic idea where you are.

course, you can set up different "blocks" of regions, like LA,
riverside/OC, las vegas, etc and load as needed, when needed. works
excellent on land and water, on foot and in whatever car or vehicle im
in and only cost $150.
Old September 4th 05, 07:37 AM
SoCalMike

wrote:

>>>I am about to buy a new Accord (2005 V6).
>>>I am still deciding on whethere to get the Honda navigation system.
>>>To anyone who owns a 2004 or 2005 Accord, can you share any raves or
>>>gripes about the system and whethere you would make the same purchase
>>>decision again? Thanks

>>I've got a 2004 MDX and '04 Accord. Didn't get it on either. Don't
>>miss it, but I don't wander around without a city map either.
>>
>>I have asked several people who have nav, and every single one of them
>>can't imagine not having it. Even people like me who were a little
>>down on it previously.
>>
>>$300 a year doesn't seem like a lot, but that makes my Mapquest
>>printout worth about $75 since I do that about 4 times a year.'
>>
>>There are now dial-in cell phone services to give directions. They
>>walk you through to the destination with your GPS-enabled cell phone.
>>You might take a look at that as an alternative.

> Maps are fine, but there is nothing like a Navigation system on a 3 or
> 4-thousand mile trip through many cities. Anyway, I can't read a map

not too many people do trips like that. kinda like all the SUVs with
lift kits that never leave the road... intentionally

> and drive. And maps can't find hotels, Office Max stores, etc. Even
> in a city like Las Vegas, I find it indispensable. Las Vegas has an
> unbelievable number of dead-end streets. When you are trying to find
> a store, the nav leads you around all those obstacles. There is a

so does a $150 GPS unit.

> great deal more to the nav system than just a map. It gives you
> average and instantaneous fuel consumption, distance to next turn, a
> calculator, an appointment calendar, current altitude, current
> location by latitude/longitude, etc. It's full of goodies.

mine can do alt, lat/long, true MPH, all the important stuff. for $150,
and can be put in a pocket and moved from vehicle to vehicle.

Old September 4th 05, 01:45 PM
High Tech Misfit

Dick wrote:

> Maps are fine, but there is nothing like a Navigation system on a 3 or
> 4-thousand mile trip through many cities. Anyway, I can't read a map
> and drive.

You shouldn't use a Nav system and drive at the same time either.

I agree with SoCalMike that a hand-held system would be a better investment.
Not just for the price and portability, but if something goes wrong with it,
you don't have to take the car to the dealer.
Old September 4th 05, 02:04 PM
Dick

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 23:37:35 -0700, SoCalMike
> wrote:

>> great deal more to the nav system than just a map. It gives you
>> average and instantaneous fuel consumption, distance to next turn, a
>> calculator, an appointment calendar, current altitude, current
>> location by latitude/longitude, etc. It's full of goodies.

>mine can do alt, lat/long, true MPH, all the important stuff. for $150,
>and can be put in a pocket and moved from vehicle to vehicle.

I have a Garmin for my Jeep. It can't begin to compare with the
capabilities and readability of the Nav system on the Accord.

Dick