First NJ Red Light Cameras

Old August 30th 09, 07:29 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
GK

Default First NJ Red Light Cameras

There goes the innocence and quality of life, further down the rabbit
hole. First NJ red-light traffic cameras to be installed in the middle
of Newark.

Lets hope they stop there, but we know better don't we?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...ed_at_dan.html
Old August 30th 09, 09:30 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
GK

John A. Weeks III wrote:
> In article >,
> GK > wrote:
>
>> There goes the innocence and quality of life, further down the rabbit
>> hole. First NJ red-light traffic cameras to be installed in the middle
>> of Newark.
>>
>> Lets hope they stop there, but we know better don't we?

> What part of running red lights and fatal intersection accidents
> are you in favor of? The problem of red light runners is getting
> serious here in Minneapolis. It is very common for 3 or 4 cars to
> go through the intersection after the light turns red. It is so
> bad that you often cannot use the left turn green arrow because
> it goes yellow and even red before the cross traffic stops running
> the traffic lights. The only way to get people to obey the red
> lights is to have the traffic light offenders suffer some
> consequence of their action, preferably before they kill someone.
>
> -john-

Well if that was all they where up to it would be one thing, but even
then, I'd still br for individual drivers to self regulate themselves
and not have big Bro make a business out of it.

Newark is a bit diff too. I used to cut through there decades ago in a
commute back then and even lil old grannys would run lights there.

I'm just not in favor of these things spreading all over.

gk
Old August 30th 09, 09:49 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Aug 30, 4:10*pm, "John A. Weeks III" > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *GK > wrote:
> > There goes the innocence and quality of life, further down the rabbit
> > hole. First NJ red-light traffic cameras to be installed in the middle
> > of Newark.

> > Lets hope they stop there, but we know better don't we?

> What part of running red lights and fatal intersection accidents
> are you in favor of? *The problem of red light runners is getting
> serious here in Minneapolis. *It is very common for 3 or 4 cars to
> go through the intersection after the light turns red. *It is so
> bad that you often cannot use the left turn green arrow because
> it goes yellow and even red before the cross traffic stops running
> the traffic lights. *The only way to get people to obey the red
> lights is to have the traffic light offenders suffer some
> consequence of their action, preferably before they kill someone.
>
> -john-

Prove that RLC's prevent any of these incidents, or even have benefits
that outweigh negative consequences. (hint: you can't.)

Prove that yellow intervals will be set for safety and not for profit
at RLC controlled intersections. (hint: see above.)

nate
Old August 30th 09, 10:23 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Otto Yamamoto[_2_]

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:09:42 -0500, John A. Weeks III wrote:

> If that were possible, then why not just take the stoplights down? Let
> people express their individualism to self-regulate when they enter the
> intersection, and not have big Bro regulate traffic.
>
> -john-

rather like
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...448747,00.html ?

--
otto Yamamoto
Old August 30th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

"John A. Weeks III" > wrote in news:john-
:

> In article >,
> GK > wrote:
>
>> There goes the innocence and quality of life, further down the rabbit
>> hole. First NJ red-light traffic cameras to be installed in the middle
>> of Newark.
>>
>> Lets hope they stop there, but we know better don't we?

> What part of running red lights and fatal intersection accidents
> are you in favor of? The problem of red light runners is getting
> serious here in Minneapolis. It is very common for 3 or 4 cars to
> go through the intersection after the light turns red. It is so
> bad that you often cannot use the left turn green arrow because
> it goes yellow and even red before the cross traffic stops running
> the traffic lights. The only way to get people to obey the red
> lights is to have the traffic light offenders suffer some
> consequence of their action, preferably before they kill someone.
>
> -john-

why can't the POLICE do their job? Write some REAL tickets.

Then,the errant RLrunners get points on their license,and other people SEE
them being stopped and ticketed with REAL tickets.

If there's no points awarded,it's simply a revenue source.
And we already have seen communities fool with yellow timing to increase
revenue from RLCs.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old August 31st 09, 02:37 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Peter[_13_]

On Aug 30, 1:30*pm, GK > wrote:
> Well if that was all they where up to it would be one thing, but even
> then, I'd still br for individual drivers to self regulate themselves
> and not have big Bro make a business out of it.

How exactly do drivers self-regulate themselfs?
Old August 31st 09, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Peter[_13_]

On Aug 30, 2:34*pm, Scott in SoCal > wrote:
> Since RLCs are about REVENUE, not SAFETY, the intersections at which
> RLCs are installed are often configured to maximize the former at the
> expense of the latter. Shortened yellow light times are a prime
> example.

You want to tell me that the length of the yellow light phase does not
dependent on the max. legal speed at this intersection like in any
civilized country?
Old August 31st 09, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Peter[_13_]

On Aug 30, 2:59*pm, Jim Yanik > wrote:
> why can't the POLICE do their job? Write some REAL tickets.

A police man is considerable more expensive than a red light camera.
Old August 31st 09, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Peter[_13_]

On Aug 30, 2:59*pm, Jim Yanik > wrote:
> Then,the errant RLrunners get points on their license,and other people SEE
> them being stopped and ticketed with REAL tickets.

Of course running a red light in presence of a camera should have the
same consequence than running a red light in presence of a police man.
May be even more, since the camera can not err.
Old August 31st 09, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Peter wrote:
> On Aug 30, 2:34 pm, Scott in SoCal > wrote:
>> Since RLCs are about REVENUE, not SAFETY, the intersections at which
>> RLCs are installed are often configured to maximize the former at the
>> expense of the latter. Shortened yellow light times are a prime
>> example.

> You want to tell me that the length of the yellow light phase does not
> dependent on the max. legal speed at this intersection like in any
> civilized country?

Theoretically, yes. In practice, not so much.

Additionally, the "max legal speed" is often well below the natural flow
speed of a given road.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.