How a manual transmission works... a question

Old May 25th 05, 01:31 PM

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission5.htm

> > However, here's the part I don't get: What is preventing the driver
> > from shifting into reverse while going 60 miles an hour?

> Nothing whatsoever, beyond the difficulty likely to be encountred in
> trying to get the involved gears to mesh at those speeds. (never mind
> the fact that the tranny is likely to actively fight you due to the fact
> that the reverse gear is being driven "the wrong way" by the
> forward-turning wheels/driveline)

I understand that if the clutch is engaged, but why would it be turning
if the clutch is pressed in?

If you look at the 2nd diagram on that page above, but input shaft
(green), layshaft (red) and blue gears should NOT be turning when the
clutch is pressed in and the tranny in neutral, right? If I'm
incorrect in this, please explain why.

Old May 25th 05, 02:55 PM
N8N

wrote:

> > > Trying to understand more about manual's, and came across this
> > > excellent article:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission5.htm

> > > However, here's the part I don't get: What is preventing the driver
> > > from shifting into reverse while going 60 miles an hour?

> > Nothing whatsoever, beyond the difficulty likely to be encountred in
> > trying to get the involved gears to mesh at those speeds. (never mind
> > the fact that the tranny is likely to actively fight you due to the fact
> > that the reverse gear is being driven "the wrong way" by the
> > forward-turning wheels/driveline)

> I understand that if the clutch is engaged, but why would it be turning
> if the clutch is pressed in?
>
> If you look at the 2nd diagram on that page above, but input shaft
> (green), layshaft (red) and blue gears should NOT be turning when the
> clutch is pressed in and the tranny in neutral, right? If I'm
> incorrect in this, please explain why.

The reverse gear is still being driven "backwards" by the rear wheels
so even if the input shaft and layshaft have completely spun down,
you'll have quite a bit of speed mismatch. Now some modern vehicles
have synchros on reverse so you theoretically *could* engage reverse at
speed if you wanted to; not that that wouldn't be a spectacularly bad
idea...

nate

Old May 25th 05, 04:49 PM

wrote:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission5.htm

> > > Nothing whatsoever, beyond the difficulty likely to be encountred in
> > > trying to get the involved gears to mesh at those speeds. (never mind
> > > the fact that the tranny is likely to actively fight you due to the fact
> > > that the reverse gear is being driven "the wrong way" by the
> > > forward-turning wheels/driveline)

> > I understand that if the clutch is engaged, but why would it be turning
> > if the clutch is pressed in?
> >
> > If you look at the 2nd diagram on that page above, but input shaft
> > (green), layshaft (red) and blue gears should NOT be turning when the
> > clutch is pressed in and the tranny in neutral, right? If I'm
> > incorrect in this, please explain why.

> The reverse gear is still being driven "backwards" by the rear wheels
> so even if the input shaft and layshaft have completely spun down,
> you'll have quite a bit of speed mismatch.

How is it driven backwards if the tranny is in neutral? The reverse
gear isn't engaged, is it? IOW, on that diagram, the blue gears are
riding on bearings, are they not? They'not not connected to the
differential, only the purple dogs are, right?

Old May 25th 05, 07:06 PM
N8N

wrote:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission5.htm

> > > I understand that if the clutch is engaged, but why would it be turning
> > > if the clutch is pressed in?
> > >
> > > If you look at the 2nd diagram on that page above, but input shaft
> > > (green), layshaft (red) and blue gears should NOT be turning when the
> > > clutch is pressed in and the tranny in neutral, right? If I'm
> > > incorrect in this, please explain why.

> > The reverse gear is still being driven "backwards" by the rear wheels
> > so even if the input shaft and layshaft have completely spun down,
> > you'll have quite a bit of speed mismatch.

> How is it driven backwards if the tranny is in neutral? The reverse
> gear isn't engaged, is it? IOW, on that diagram, the blue gears are
> riding on bearings, are they not? They'not not connected to the
> differential, only the purple dogs are, right?

Sorry, I mis-spoke. The reverse *dog* is being driven by the wheels,
and the reverse *gear* will be driven by the input shaft/layshaft.
There's going to be a speed differential between the two at any speed.
Even if the clutch is held disengaged long enough for the clutch/input
shaft/layshaft/reverse gear assembly to spin down to 0 RPM the reverse
dog will still be spinning with the output shaft at whatever RPM the
driveshaft is turning. Thus if there is no synchronizer at any speed
above a couple MPH you will get a lot of metal on metal noises and
nothing much will happen when attempting to shift into reverse. If
there *is* a synchronizer, when you try to engage the dog the synchro
will spin up the gear/layshaft/input shaft/clutch etc. *in the opposite
of normal direction* which will allow engagement of reverse but
probably wouldn't yield very desirable results should you release the
clutch after doing so.

nate

Old May 25th 05, 07:15 PM

wrote:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission5.htm

> > > The reverse gear is still being driven "backwards" by the rear wheels
> > > so even if the input shaft and layshaft have completely spun down,
> > > you'll have quite a bit of speed mismatch.

> > How is it driven backwards if the tranny is in neutral? The reverse
> > gear isn't engaged, is it? IOW, on that diagram, the blue gears are
> > riding on bearings, are they not? They'not not connected to the
> > differential, only the purple dogs are, right?

> Sorry, I mis-spoke. The reverse *dog* is being driven by the wheels,
> and the reverse *gear* will be driven by the input shaft/layshaft.
> There's going to be a speed differential between the two at any speed.
> Even if the clutch is held disengaged long enough for the clutch/input
> shaft/layshaft/reverse gear assembly to spin down to 0 RPM the reverse
> dog will still be spinning with the output shaft at whatever RPM the
> driveshaft is turning. Thus if there is no synchronizer at any speed
> above a couple MPH you will get a lot of metal on metal noises and
> nothing much will happen when attempting to shift into reverse.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere... Is there no reverse synchronizer in
transmissions?

Old May 25th 05, 07:19 PM
N8N

wrote:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission5.htm

> > > How is it driven backwards if the tranny is in neutral? The reverse
> > > gear isn't engaged, is it? IOW, on that diagram, the blue gears are
> > > riding on bearings, are they not? They'not not connected to the
> > > differential, only the purple dogs are, right?

> > Sorry, I mis-spoke. The reverse *dog* is being driven by the wheels,
> > and the reverse *gear* will be driven by the input shaft/layshaft.
> > There's going to be a speed differential between the two at any speed.
> > Even if the clutch is held disengaged long enough for the clutch/input
> > shaft/layshaft/reverse gear assembly to spin down to 0 RPM the reverse
> > dog will still be spinning with the output shaft at whatever RPM the
> > driveshaft is turning. Thus if there is no synchronizer at any speed
> > above a couple MPH you will get a lot of metal on metal noises and
> > nothing much will happen when attempting to shift into reverse.

> Ok, now we're getting somewhere... Is there no reverse synchronizer in
> transmissions?

Traditionally no, but some newer transmissions do have one.

nate

Old May 25th 05, 07:38 PM

Shifted into reverse once while driving a automatic Ford Crown
Victoria. It was a rental car I had just picked up at the airport and I
hadn't taken the time to "adjust" everything before I left the lot.

Decided to adjust the height of the steering wheel while hitting about
60 mph. Only the "steering wheel adjustment lever" I grabbed was
actually the gear shifter.

Car came to a complete dead stop with as mentioned a horrrific
screeching of tires. Started right up however and I drove it some 25
hours with no problem before returning it to Hertz. Don't know what
happened to it a month down the line, however.....

Manual Transmission Question: [email protected] Jeep 0 February 7th 05 03:24 PM
Transmission question Rob Honda 3 February 2nd 05 05:37 AM
1996 Jetta Transmission Question Lee VW water cooled 0 December 17th 04 07:57 AM
Transmission fluid filter question LIW Audi 0 November 22nd 04 04:45 PM
What is the best manual transmission oil to use on a 98 Jetta TDI AlanH70 VW water cooled 1 September 22nd 04 04:33 PM