What does antifreeze taste like?

Old November 15th 04, 05:35 PM
any

Default What does antifreeze taste like?

Hey MB, seeing the other groups this is going to, is it really you bringing
this in or is it someone else who YOUR gunning for?

What if someone else drinks YOUR Poweraid by misktake and an unintended
target ends up dead?

If your for real though, here's a few suggestions from someone who knows a
little bit about devious *******s, don't put your drink in there at all and
better yet, switch to a differant type of beverage (and differant color) and
put it in a small lunch pail with a freezer pack to keep the thing cold all
day and lock it up in some place safe. If your still paranoid, put security
tape over the lid to make sure no one has opened it. Antifreeze isn't the
only way to poison someone, it's just apparently convenient in your
instance.

If you insist on the Poweraid in the fridge still, you can always put it in
the freezer. If it doesn't freeze, you have your answer.

Lastly and most seriously, maybe you'll have enough sense to call a PI and
catch the SOB who does it and sue his/her ass plus jail time. There's quite
a few ways to nail this person and I wouldn't put up with it. That sort of
thing isn't a game. A 50/50 mix may be hard to detect and they may succeed.

p.s. who the hell knows what antifreeze tastes like? I know it smells
bland and dull, like smelling a bottle of Aspirin .

Old November 15th 04, 08:57 PM
Don Bruder

In article >, "any" > wrote:

> p.s. who the hell knows what antifreeze tastes like? I know it smells
> bland and dull, like smelling a bottle of Aspirin .

Experience speaking (Don't ask where I got it...):
The usual green (color, not enviro-nut) antifreeze, such as Zerex,
Prestone, and similar, is based on Ethylene Glycol ("eg" for short in
the rest of this note).

In "straight" form (commercial antifreeze is close enough to being
"straight" for this purpose) it tastes like *EXTREMELY*, almost
gaggingly, sweet, warm-enough-to-be-runny-without-being-hot-or-watery
lard. It's sweet enough to nearly make you gag, and the mouth-feel is a
lot like you've used a straw to suck up a mouthful of slightly warm
cooking oil. It'll leave a coat in your mouth that'll make you think
somebody laid a thick coat of varnish or liquid plastic over the entire
inside of your mouth, and I haven't encountered anything that will "cut"
that film other than repeated rinses with water. Diluted sufficiently,
it's just sweet, with an aftertaste that I can best describe as being
"zingy". Unless they've got no taste-buds at all, if someone drinks the
stuff, they're going to know it wasn't "what I was supposed to be
drinking" almost instantly. They might not be able to ID what it was
they DID drink, but they'll know it wasn't whatever they thought it was.

The new "non toxic" orange stuff is based on propylene glycol, rather
than ethylene glycol. You can find propylene glycol in the ingredients
list of *MANY* candy bars, particularly the ones that are supposed to be
"chewy" (Used to be in Snickers and Milky Way for certain, haven't
looked at either of those in ages, though, so the recipe may have been
changed), "moist" baked goods (some varieties of "Grandma's" and "Famous
Amos" cookies, as a prime example) and just about anyplace else where
"corn syrup" could be used instead of sugar. As you might be able to
guess, it's pretty sweet, too, but not quite as intensely so as eg, and
doesn't seem to have the same "zing" aftertaste that eg has. It also
doesn't give you that "coat of paint" mouth-feel.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.
Old November 16th 04, 06:32 AM
Dan

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:34:25 -0500, The Magnificent *******
> wrote:

>So what does antifreeze taste like? If it tastes anything like Green
>Squall Powerade, I might not be able to tell. What about the smell?
>What does it smell like?

How is someone supposed to describe a smell? Go out, buy some
Prestone and see for yourself. The antifreeze might not even be
strong enough to be smelled in your drink. If you're so afraid then
try drinking something like bottled water. Any type of smell or
change in color would be more easily detected.

As far as taste, I would not know. Even just a small amount would be
toxic, since the body's liver unknowingly converts the ethylene glycol
into very toxic formaldehyde. If you ever think you've been poisoned
by antifreeze, I am not joking when I say the solution is to drink
lots of normal drinking, or ethyl, alcohol (gin rum whiskey, etc.).
In addition to making you ****-drunk, this will also block the liver's
ability to process the antifreeze, and eventually it will be filtered
out by the kidneys.

As far as nasty people at the workplace, I could believe this
completely. I worked for some very nasty and immature people at a
local cable company (co-workers as well as managers) and would agree
there are people who might do this as a joke to someone who makes them
look bad, whether by being more professional or simply being there as
a competition for promotion.

For anyone out there who's never had to work in this kind of
environment, you are very fortunate.

Dan

Old November 16th 04, 07:21 PM
ed

I knew some dude once who had mercury put in his drink cup, in the
workplace.
I wonder if that would have been a slow death? sheeesh. Luckily he caught
it before he drank it. Interesting reading on the Prestone issues.

(heading out for Prestone antidote too, just in case)

Old November 16th 04, 09:30 PM
Sportster4Eva

Don Bruder wrote:

> Experience speaking (Don't ask where I got it...):
> The usual green (color, not enviro-nut) antifreeze, such as Zerex,
> Prestone, and similar, is based on Ethylene Glycol ("eg" for short in
> the rest of this note).
>
> In "straight" form (commercial antifreeze is close enough to being
> "straight" for this purpose) it tastes like *EXTREMELY*, almost
> gaggingly, sweet, warm-enough-to-be-runny-without-being-hot-or-watery
> lard. It's sweet enough to nearly make you gag, and the mouth-feel is a
> lot like you've used a straw to suck up a mouthful of slightly warm
> cooking oil. It'll leave a coat in your mouth that'll make you think
> somebody laid a thick coat of varnish or liquid plastic over the entire
> inside of your mouth, and I haven't encountered anything that will "cut"
> that film other than repeated rinses with water. Diluted sufficiently,
> it's just sweet, with an aftertaste that I can best describe as being
> "zingy". Unless they've got no taste-buds at all, if someone drinks the
> stuff, they're going to know it wasn't "what I was supposed to be
> drinking" almost instantly. They might not be able to ID what it was
> they DID drink, but they'll know it wasn't whatever they thought it was.

Nice analogy Don...Your right on the money... (don't ask me how I know
this either....lol)
They all have a distinct taste.....tranny fluid, oil, brake fluid,
antifreeze, gasoline.... hell even Exhaust fumes have a taste...

--
Paul
'91 XL1200

Oddyssey antifreeze misshap [email protected] Honda 1 December 20th 04 01:02 AM
Antifreeze leak oligoguy Saturn 4 December 4th 04 12:33 PM
recommended antifreeze? Abeness Honda 33 December 3rd 04 04:16 PM
Antifreeze? Richard Chrysler 24 October 17th 04 03:41 PM