Here's a weird one - can you guess what it was?

Old March 25th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff DeWitt

Default Here's a weird one - can you guess what it was?

I was tinkering with the Jeep and debating whither I want to tackle the
harmonic balancer today (no, I don't have a pusher and HATE messing with
those things, I've had nightmare experiences with them on
Studebakers), it will wait (I hope) until next weekend and the right tools.

Anyway, the Jeeps been acting strangely lately, sometimes it seems like
its down on power, the gas pedal has felt hard, and the idle has been
weird, sometimes slow, (especially at startup, even with the engine
hot)and sometimes fast, like about 1200 rpm.

I couldn't believe it when I found the problem, and it was an easy fix.

Any ideas?

Answer to be posted tomorrow or so, unless someone gets it first.

Jeff DeWitt
Old March 25th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Jeff DeWitt wrote:
> I was tinkering with the Jeep and debating whither I want to tackle
> the harmonic balancer today (no, I don't have a pusher and HATE
> messing with those things, I've had nightmare experiences with them
> on Studebakers), it will wait (I hope) until next weekend and the right
> tools.

I'd wait and use the right tools, makes it a lot easier.

--
DougW

Old March 25th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

Rusty or otherwise problematic throttle return spring?

Old March 25th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

DougW wrote:
> Jeff DeWitt wrote:
>> I was tinkering with the Jeep and debating whither I want to tackle
>> the harmonic balancer today (no, I don't have a pusher and HATE
>> messing with those things, I've had nightmare experiences with them
>> on Studebakers), it will wait (I hope) until next weekend and the right
>> tools.

> I'd wait and use the right tools, makes it a lot easier.

I am, I've learned that lesson the hard way (the way I learn most lessons!)

Jeff DeWitt
Old March 25th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

Nope, throttle return spring was fine, so was the cable.

Jeff DeWitt

Old March 25th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Jeffrey DeWitt wrote:
> Nope, throttle return spring was fine, so was the cable.

> Matt Macchiarolo wrote:
>> Rusty or otherwise problematic throttle return spring?

Sticking butterfly caused by crud buildup on the
shaft, or a buggered up Throttle position sensor.

I'd pull the throttle cable off and make sure it's moving
and not having problems. Dirt and crud can cause a sticky
cable.

--
DougW

Old March 25th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
dado_maker

TPS

Old March 25th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

Good suggestions but that wasn't it.

Jeff DeWitt

Old March 25th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

Nope!

Jeff DeWitt

Old March 25th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
dado_maker

Catalytic converter

Guess Who ? Coasty[_1_] Jeep 3 December 30th 06 12:29 PM
Guess what? [email protected] Ford Mustang 10 January 1st 06 01:24 PM
Guess the Driver's Age James C. Reeves Driving 5 May 25th 05 08:13 AM
GUESS WHAT? JP Roberts Audi 46 April 12th 05 11:14 AM
I guess I'm an ass man ... dwight Ford Mustang 29 March 25th 05 11:45 PM