Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

Old July 24th 06, 04:47 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,alt.politics.economics
Don Klipstein

Default Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

In article .com>,
wrote:
> [...]
>maybe not.
>
>State Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, D-San Antonio, was quoted Wednesday as
>saying Department of Public Safety officials alerted her that the cost
>of a license could jump from $24 for six years to a whopping $100 or
>more.
>
>Reason: A new federal anti-terrorism law requiring all states' driver's
>licenses to be the same and much more sophisticated. Read that as more
>costly.
>
>"We're looking at a huge, unfunded mandate," she told the San Antonio
>Express-News.
>
>Even so, state officials quickly insisted that the $100 estimate is not
>a certainty, or even a good estimate, perhaps, since federal rules
>covering the new licenses have not been approved.
>
>They noted that any increase in the cost of licenses would have to be
>approved by the Texas Legislature, an unlikely group to quadruple the
>cost if public outrage were to surface as expected over such a steep
>increase.
>
>"DPS has done some modeling of costs, but the exact regulations are
>still in the rulemaking process, so it's premature to have hard and
>fast estimates," said Rachael Novier, a spokeswoman for Gov. Rick
>Perry.
>
>She said Perry is going to ask the Department of Homeland Security "to
>cover cost increases from any change they make, though he supports
>making our driver's licenses more secure."
>
>Lisa Block, a spokeswoman for DPS, was similarly noncommittal on any
>estimates.
>
>"We're looking at the (federal) requirements and how we will respond to
>those requirements," she said. "We're still formulating the estimates.
>. . . Any numbers we have are estimates. Nothing is finalized."
>
>A Homeland Security representative in Washington said Wednesday that
>the change in federal law stemmed from the report of the Sept. 11
>commission, which studied the terrorist attacks. Citing the fact that
>all but one of the Sept. 11 hijackers had obtained driver's licenses or
>other state identity cards, the commission recommended standardizing
>all state licenses and improving verification of applicants'
>backgrounds.
>
>Van de Putte was traveling Wednesday and could not be reached for
>comment.
>
>She told the Express-News that she was told the higher costs will stem
>from already approved federal regulations that will require DPS to
>begin more closely checking driver's license applications . That, she
>said, could result in longer lines not only for new applicants but for
>those who renew as well.
>
>DPS officials estimated the change will cost Texas about $168 million
>the first year and $104 million a year after that, the senator was
>quoted as saying.
>
>Texas has about 16 million licensed drivers. Last year the state issued
>700,000 new licenses and processed 2.6 million renewals.

So spread out $104 million or $168 million among the 16 million drivers
in a 6-year renewal cycle - that's only a couple dollars per license per
year! (See below for data including a 6-year renewal cycle starting in
1998!)

- Don Klipstein )

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...20license.html
Old July 24th 06, 07:31 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.economics
[email protected]

Greg Rozelle wrote:
> ACLU and others will be challenging the new id laws. There is no
> way I could afford $100 for my drivers license. I sure hope this
> does not apply to all states. I also wander how much ids will cost as
> well.

I wonder is this is related to the modified voting rights act? I know
they didn't want to pass one until the democrats shamed them into it.
Are there alternate IDs acceptable for voting?

Old July 26th 06, 07:19 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.economics
Bill Funk

http://news.com.com/FAQ+How+Real+ID+...3-5697111.html

>> iN TYTPICAL FASHION cONGRESS SNUCK IT INTO A MILITARY SPENDING BILL.

>It was an intersting read. Still, wouldn't a required payment for ID
>acceptable
>for voter identification be a form of poll tax unless an alternate free
>ID is offered?

Not unless the ID is *only* for voting, and maybe not even then.
But it's a good question. :-)
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old July 26th 06, 09:27 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.economics
Bill Funk

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/...s/15009499.htm

>________________
>I am human; nothing in humanity is alien to me.
> Terence

If I remember right, Georgia offers a free ID card to those who can't
afford to buy one.
The case referrenced is about requiring ID at all, not how much the ID
costs, which is what I see this thread to be about.

Personally, I'm for requiring ID. Otherwise, how do you know who is
actually able/allowed to vote? An ID isn't anywhere as hard to get as
some make it out to be.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old July 26th 06, 11:40 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.economics
[email protected]

In article >,
Bill Funk > wrote:

> Personally, I'm for requiring ID. Otherwise, how do you know who is
> actually able/allowed to vote?

Obviously, you have never worked the polls on election day. You should
try it.

As a poll worker, your job is to confirm that the voter's name is
registered on the rolls, match the name against the address and give the
voter a ballot. The name is crossed off the roll when s/he gets his
ballot. Bingo. One man, one vote.

If you are not registered, your name will not be on the rolls and you
will not be given a ballot. Period.

If the voter gives you a false name, s/he is committing a crime with
severe consequences.

Like gun laws, a little enforcement would go a long way toward
preventing voter fraud without introducing even more laws. Allow local
registrars to confirm voter records annually and purge those they
cannot. This all costs money, but if the electorate is really interested
in election rectitude, this is the way to do it. Forget voter ID. It is
a bad idea that will almost certainly fail any court challenges.
Old July 27th 06, 12:08 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.economics
[email protected]

In article >,
lid wrote:

> Like gun laws, a little enforcement would go a long way toward
> preventing voter fraud without introducing even more laws.

In line with tampering with votes, here in Wisconsin, the fraud occurs
at levels far above the individual voter, and includes both parties:

Republican gubernatorial candidate Mark Green, for instance, has
accumulated over $182,000 in his campaign coffers than is permitted by
state law. Thus far, the state Elections Board has done nothing.

On the other side of the aisle, Democratic incumbent Governor Jim
Doyle's campaign manager, Marc Marotta, is increasingly the focus of an
investigation into the connection between campaign donations and
government decisions. Marotta was previously Administration Secretary to
the Governor's office.

I assume it is the same everywhere at every level of government. We the
voters have nauseatingly been reduced to choosing between the following
parties:

The party of corrupt self interest

The party of dictatorial fascism

The party of evil fundamentalism

BTW, to see who is responsible for these (and possibly worse) being our
only choices in elections, go into the bathroom and look in the mirror.

This situation will continue until we all demand that our elected
officials start doing the job we gave them: serve the public (not
private companies, not churches, not foreign interests, not their own
family and friends. The Public).

If we demand that (which is what we are due), and we do not get it
(which we are certainly NOT), we should do whatever it takes, up to and
including open rebellion, to get them out of office posthaste. If they
steal from us, get 'em out. If they lie to us, get 'em out. If they
behave like nincompoops during national emergencies, get 'em out.

That image you see in your bathroom mirror? That's the only one who can
accomplish it. And you can't do it if you don't know what's going on.
Old July 27th 06, 06:11 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.economics
necromancer[_1_]

> said in rec.autos.driving:
> In article >,
> lid wrote:
>
> > Like gun laws, a little enforcement would go a long way toward
> > preventing voter fraud without introducing even more laws.

> In line with tampering with votes, here in Wisconsin, the fraud occurs
> at levels far above the individual voter, and includes both parties:
>
> Republican gubernatorial candidate Mark Green, for instance, has
> accumulated over $182,000 in his campaign coffers than is permitted by
> state law. Thus far, the state Elections Board has done nothing.
>
> On the other side of the aisle, Democratic incumbent Governor Jim
> Doyle's campaign manager, Marc Marotta, is increasingly the focus of an
> investigation into the connection between campaign donations and
> government decisions. Marotta was previously Administration Secretary to
> the Governor's office.
>
> I assume it is the same everywhere at every level of government. We the
> voters have nauseatingly been reduced to choosing between the following
> parties:
>
> The party of corrupt self interest
>
> The party of dictatorial fascism
>
> The party of evil fundamentalism
>
> BTW, to see who is responsible for these (and possibly worse) being our
> only choices in elections, go into the bathroom and look in the mirror.
>
> This situation will continue until we all demand that our elected
> officials start doing the job we gave them: serve the public (not
> private companies, not churches, not foreign interests, not their own
> family and friends. The Public).
>
> If we demand that (which is what we are due), and we do not get it
> (which we are certainly NOT), we should do whatever it takes, up to and
> including open rebellion, to get them out of office posthaste. If they
> steal from us, get 'em out. If they lie to us, get 'em out. If they
> behave like nincompoops during national emergencies, get 'em out.
>
> That image you see in your bathroom mirror? That's the only one who can
> accomplish it. And you can't do it if you don't know what's going on.

Well said. But the sad fact is that come election day - be it this years
elections or the elections in 2008 and beyond - the sheeple here in
these United States will just go to the polls and re-elect the same
tired old purveyors of the failed establishment - or if feeling really
*bold* vote in the purveyors of the previous tired old establishment
which is still tired and failed. People don't have the guts to - heaven
forbid - go into that election booth and vote for someone else - be it
the Libertarian, the Green, the Communist or what ever. We see it in
Massachusetts (the kennedy klan), Chicago (right, Brent?), FL and TX
(the Bush Bozos) and all over.

People bitch about the Dems and the Repubs, yet every 4 years what do we
get? A Repub or Dem president eventhough there are usually at least 3 or
4 other candidates on the ballots. We keep reelecting the same tired old
failures to the Congress every 2 or 6 years. And untill We The Sheeple
wake up and start voting for third party or independant candidates, we
will get more of the same old, same old. IOW, we get the government we
deserve.

<stepping down from soap box>

Old July 27th 06, 01:37 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.economics
Mike T.

> Personally, I'm for requiring ID. Otherwise, how do you know who is
> actually able/allowed to vote? An ID isn't anywhere as hard to get as
> some make it out to be.

Really? Check this out:

Note that IN ADDITION TO your original birth certificate and your original
social security card, you need six more points of ID. Various other forms
of ID earn points, such as (photo license from another state, 2 points,
whew!)

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/idlicense.htm

Basically, to get an ID in New York state, you need a hefty briefcase to
organize all the paperwork you need to haul to the NY DMV. This is for a
non-driver ID, BTW. -Dave

Old July 27th 06, 06:00 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.economics
Bill Funk

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:40:12 -0500, lid wrote:

>In article >,
> Bill Funk > wrote:
>
>> Personally, I'm for requiring ID. Otherwise, how do you know who is
>> actually able/allowed to vote?

>Obviously, you have never worked the polls on election day. You should
>try it.
>
>As a poll worker, your job is to confirm that the voter's name is
>registered on the rolls, match the name against the address and give the
>voter a ballot. The name is crossed off the roll when s/he gets his
>ballot. Bingo. One man, one vote.

Explain how this would confirm that the person claiming to be, say,
John Doe at 123 Main Street is, in fact, John Doe who resides at 123
Main St.

>If you are not registered, your name will not be on the rolls and you
>will not be given a ballot. Period.
>
>If the voter gives you a false name, s/he is committing a crime with
>severe consequences.

Explain to me how the person who claims to be someone he is not would
be caught?
Or, demonstrate that there is actually an effort to catch such people.

>Like gun laws, a little enforcement would go a long way toward
>preventing voter fraud without introducing even more laws. Allow local
>registrars to confirm voter records annually and purge those they
>cannot. This all costs money, but if the electorate is really interested
>in election rectitude, this is the way to do it. Forget voter ID. It is
>a bad idea that will almost certainly fail any court challenges.

Ah! Enforcement! This is not what is happening. In fact, there are, in
most states, not even mechanisms for determining who that person
standing there giving a name really is.
With a gun purchase, ID must be checked by Federal law; there's no
analogy with voter ID.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old July 27th 06, 06:04 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.economics
Bill Funk

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:37:40 -0400, "Mike T." > wrote:

>> Personally, I'm for requiring ID. Otherwise, how do you know who is
>> actually able/allowed to vote? An ID isn't anywhere as hard to get as
>> some make it out to be.

>Really? Check this out:
>
>Note that IN ADDITION TO your original birth certificate and your original
>social security card, you need six more points of ID. Various other forms
>of ID earn points, such as (photo license from another state, 2 points,
>whew!)
>
>http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/idlicense.htm
>
>Basically, to get an ID in New York state, you need a hefty briefcase to
>organize all the paperwork you need to haul to the NY DMV. This is for a
>non-driver ID, BTW. -Dave

The rules allow 4 points for a passport (out of 6). The requirements
for a passport are less onerous than NY requires for other ID.
The other 2 points are easily provided by any honest person.
As I said, this isn't as hard as many make it out to be.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Does Texas use the point-system? [email protected] Driving 19 May 26th 05 07:27 AM
Drives me crazy MidnightDad Driving 35 April 26th 05 03:05 AM
Flashpoint Racing Series begins tonight! [email protected] Simulators 34 February 18th 05 02:37 AM
Check your drivers license Tom in Missouri Corvette 0 January 15th 05 05:18 PM