Italy again

Old February 7th 05, 06:20 PM
Phil Speight

Default Italy again

I asked a while ago if anyone knew any good driving routes into Italy .I
failed to say that I aren`t setting off until the summer , consequently the
replies I got ( thanks , by the way ) all said " don`t do it - the roads are
closed ."
So - I`ll try again. Anyone know which route I should take ( through
Switzerland preferably ) to allow some
"playing on the passes " as it were? In the summer !
While I`m using the one finger that can operate this machine here`s a couple
of recommendations . Avon Racing have recently done a magic piece of work on
my 75 and ditto Jamie Porter on my 1750 GTV. Both were
quietly but superbly skilled , they wasted no time and were obviously
dedicated to the cars and to the whole
customer service thing . Deeply impressive in both cases.
Avon Racing are in Rutland and Jamie Porter is in Royston in Herts. Well
worth driving a few miles.
Phil

Old February 7th 05, 06:41 PM
Catman

Phil Speight wrote:

> I asked a while ago if anyone knew any good driving routes into Italy .I
> failed to say that I aren`t setting off until the summer , consequently
> the replies I got ( thanks , by the way ) all said " don`t do it - the
> roads are closed ."
> So - I`ll try again. Anyone know which route I should take ( through
> Switzerland preferably ) to allow some
> "playing on the passes " as it were? In the summer !
> While I`m using the one finger that can operate this machine here`s a
> couple of recommendations . Avon Racing have recently done a magic piece
> of work on my 75 and ditto Jamie Porter on my 1750 GTV. Both were
> quietly but superbly skilled , they wasted no time and were obviously
> dedicated to the cars and to the whole
> customer service thing . Deeply impressive in both cases.
> Avon Racing are in Rutland and Jamie Porter is in Royston in Herts. Well
> worth driving a few miles.

I was up at Jamie's only today.. Decent chap that he is, he donated a
Titanium race can to my bike. Sounds lovely, it does

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old February 7th 05, 10:05 PM
George Graves

In article >,
"Phil Speight" > wrote:

> I asked a while ago if anyone knew any good driving routes into Italy .I
> failed to say that I aren`t setting off until the summer , consequently the
> replies I got ( thanks , by the way ) all said " don`t do it - the roads are
> closed ."
> So - I`ll try again. Anyone know which route I should take ( through
> Switzerland preferably ) to allow some
> "playing on the passes " as it were? In the summer !
> While I`m using the one finger that can operate this machine here`s a couple
> of recommendations . Avon Racing have recently done a magic piece of work on
> my 75 and ditto Jamie Porter on my 1750 GTV. Both were
> quietly but superbly skilled , they wasted no time and were obviously
> dedicated to the cars and to the whole
> customer service thing . Deeply impressive in both cases.
> Avon Racing are in Rutland and Jamie Porter is in Royston in Herts. Well
> worth driving a few miles.
> Phil

IMHO, the Stelvio pass in Italy's Stelvio National Park is still the
best. In Switzerland, take the A-3 south from Zurich and meet the A-13
coming from the Lake Constance region. Continue south to Landque. At
Landque, take the two-lane highway 28 all the way to the
Umbrialpass/Stelviopass cutoff (which I don't remember the route number
for, and my map doesn't identify).

--
George Graves
------------------
Old February 7th 05, 10:18 PM
NC

Catman wrote:
> Phil Speight wrote:
>

>>I asked a while ago if anyone knew any good driving routes into Italy .I
>>failed to say that I aren`t setting off until the summer , consequently
>>the replies I got ( thanks , by the way ) all said " don`t do it - the
>>roads are closed ."
>>So - I`ll try again. Anyone know which route I should take ( through
>>Switzerland preferably ) to allow some
>>"playing on the passes " as it were? In the summer !
>>While I`m using the one finger that can operate this machine here`s a
>>couple of recommendations . Avon Racing have recently done a magic piece
>>of work on my 75 and ditto Jamie Porter on my 1750 GTV. Both were
>>quietly but superbly skilled , they wasted no time and were obviously
>>dedicated to the cars and to the whole
>>customer service thing . Deeply impressive in both cases.
>>Avon Racing are in Rutland and Jamie Porter is in Royston in Herts. Well
>>worth driving a few miles.

> I was up at Jamie's only today.. Decent chap that he is, he donated a
> Titanium race can to my bike. Sounds lovely, it does

I'm booked into see Jamie next week to get my bushes changed.
Cambelt/variator/tensioners/48k service and MOT done in November with
him too. Got plenty change out of £500 - top guy !
(1999 156TS 1.8)
Old February 7th 05, 10:44 PM
Catman

NC wrote:

> Catman wrote:
>> Phil Speight wrote:
>>

>>>I asked a while ago if anyone knew any good driving routes into Italy .I
>>>failed to say that I aren`t setting off until the summer , consequently
>>>the replies I got ( thanks , by the way ) all said " don`t do it - the
>>>roads are closed ."
>>>So - I`ll try again. Anyone know which route I should take ( through
>>>Switzerland preferably ) to allow some
>>>"playing on the passes " as it were? In the summer !
>>>While I`m using the one finger that can operate this machine here`s a
>>>couple of recommendations . Avon Racing have recently done a magic piece
>>>of work on my 75 and ditto Jamie Porter on my 1750 GTV. Both were
>>>quietly but superbly skilled , they wasted no time and were obviously
>>>dedicated to the cars and to the whole
>>>customer service thing . Deeply impressive in both cases.
>>>Avon Racing are in Rutland and Jamie Porter is in Royston in Herts. Well
>>>worth driving a few miles.

>> I was up at Jamie's only today.. Decent chap that he is, he donated a
>> Titanium race can to my bike. Sounds lovely, it does
>>

> I'm booked into see Jamie next week to get my bushes changed.
> Cambelt/variator/tensioners/48k service and MOT done in November with
> him too. Got plenty change out of £500 - top guy !
> (1999 156TS 1.8)

Cool. Nice to see he's keeping popular.
Old February 26th 05, 08:46 AM
Graeme Cosgrove

George Graves wrote:
> In article >,
> "Phil Speight" > wrote:
>

>>I asked a while ago if anyone knew any good driving routes into Italy .I
>>failed to say that I aren`t setting off until the summer , consequently the
>>replies I got ( thanks , by the way ) all said " don`t do it - the roads are
>>closed ."
>>So - I`ll try again. Anyone know which route I should take ( through
>>Switzerland preferably ) to allow some
>>"playing on the passes " as it were? In the summer !
>>While I`m using the one finger that can operate this machine here`s a couple
>>of recommendations . Avon Racing have recently done a magic piece of work on
>>my 75 and ditto Jamie Porter on my 1750 GTV. Both were
>>quietly but superbly skilled , they wasted no time and were obviously
>>dedicated to the cars and to the whole
>>customer service thing . Deeply impressive in both cases.
>>Avon Racing are in Rutland and Jamie Porter is in Royston in Herts. Well
>>worth driving a few miles.
>>Phil

> IMHO, the Stelvio pass in Italy's Stelvio National Park is still the
> best. In Switzerland, take the A-3 south from Zurich and meet the A-13
> coming from the Lake Constance region. Continue south to Landque. At
> Landque, take the two-lane highway 28 all the way to the
> Umbrialpass/Stelviopass cutoff (which I don't remember the route number
> for, and my map doesn't identify).

The St Bernardo Pass from Martigny is a good run in the summer.

Old February 27th 05, 10:27 PM
George Graves

In article >,
Graeme Cosgrove > wrote:

> George Graves wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Phil Speight" > wrote:
> >

> >>I asked a while ago if anyone knew any good driving routes into Italy .I
> >>failed to say that I aren`t setting off until the summer , consequently the
> >>replies I got ( thanks , by the way ) all said " don`t do it - the roads
> >>are
> >>closed ."
> >>So - I`ll try again. Anyone know which route I should take ( through
> >>Switzerland preferably ) to allow some
> >>"playing on the passes " as it were? In the summer !
> >>While I`m using the one finger that can operate this machine here`s a
> >>couple
> >>of recommendations . Avon Racing have recently done a magic piece of work
> >>on
> >>my 75 and ditto Jamie Porter on my 1750 GTV. Both were
> >>quietly but superbly skilled , they wasted no time and were obviously
> >>dedicated to the cars and to the whole
> >>customer service thing . Deeply impressive in both cases.
> >>Avon Racing are in Rutland and Jamie Porter is in Royston in Herts. Well
> >>worth driving a few miles.
> >>Phil

> > IMHO, the Stelvio pass in Italy's Stelvio National Park is still the
> > best. In Switzerland, take the A-3 south from Zurich and meet the A-13
> > coming from the Lake Constance region. Continue south to Landque. At
> > Landque, take the two-lane highway 28 all the way to the
> > Umbrialpass/Stelviopass cutoff (which I don't remember the route number
> > for, and my map doesn't identify).
> >

> The St Bernardo Pass from Martigny is a good run in the summer.

Yes it is. Unfortunately, now that the A-13 autoroute goes through the
St. Bernadino tunnel, it's difficult to find the old pass road.

--
George Graves
------------------
Old March 14th 05, 05:47 PM
Jacopo

Another nice way to reach Italy from Switzerland is through the Offenpass,
you'll came in Italy through Tubre border.
It's also the only way you could take in winter, the Stelvio is closed from
November to April.

Bye :-)

--
Jacopo
Prato, Italia

Old March 14th 05, 09:13 PM
George Graves

In article >,
"Jacopo" > wrote:

> Another nice way to reach Italy from Switzerland is through the Offenpass,
> you'll came in Italy through Tubre border.
> It's also the only way you could take in winter, the Stelvio is closed from
> November to April.
>
> Bye :-)
>
> --
> Jacopo
> Prato, Italia
> --
> Sportwagon 2.5 V6 24V Distinctive
> Join the Club!
> www.alfasport.net
> --
>
> "George Graves" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > In article >,
> > Graeme Cosgrove > wrote:

> >> The St Bernardo Pass from Martigny is a good run in the summer.

> > Yes it is. Unfortunately, now that the A-13 autoroute goes through the
> > St. Bernadino tunnel, it's difficult to find the old pass road.
> >
> > --
> > George Graves
> > "Windows sucks. There's no doubt about it."
> > Bill Gates - CES-2005, Las Vegas, Nevada

Hi Jacopo! Any more thoughts on coming here to California for the
Monterey Historics and Concorso Italiano? The "Featured Marque" for the
Concorso this year is Alfa Romeo!

--
George Graves