95 Neon running rich

Old October 13th 04, 09:51 PM
maxpower

a faulty sensor will cause rich problems, map, 02, , have the pcm scanned
for possible fault codes
"deadbeat" > wrote in message
> My 97 was running rich also. I did the same things, with the exception of
> adding a cold air intake. I solved it by getting a new O2 sensor. I was
> getting about 14 mpg, and changing the O2 immediately changed my gas

mileage

Old October 13th 04, 09:51 PM
maxpower

Old October 14th 04, 08:44 PM
deadbeat

Old October 14th 04, 08:44 PM
deadbeat

Old October 14th 04, 10:07 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Mike wrote:

> Any ideas how to resolved a 95 Neon SOHC 2.0l engine that is running
> rich?

You don't do yourself any favors by putting in a "cold air intake". That
"mess of tubing, air box and baffle" needs to be there; put it back. With
your Ricky Racer, Jr. "cold air intake", fuel economy will suffer,
emissions and engine wear (via oil contamination) will increase.

> If this was a carburator, the issue would be resolved, but because
> everything is controlled by the ECU, I really do not know how to
> resolve this issue.

Same as always: Proper diagnosis and targeted repair. Your rich running
could be caused by a number of rather minor and inexpensive faults, but
guessing and throwing parts at it is the wrong way to do it.

Start by checking the codes.

To check the computer codes:

With the engine off, switch the ignition key on-off-on-off-on,
leaving it "ON". Do not
go to "start", just "on" during this procedure.

Watch the "Check Engine" or "Power Loss" light. It will turn on, then go
off, then will begin to flash-out any trouble codes that have been stored.
For instance, if it flashes:

flash <pause> flash flash
<long pause>
flash flash flash <pause> flash flash flash flash flash
<long pause>
flash flash flash flash flash <pause> flash flash flash flash flash

Then you have a 12 (one flash followed by two) a 35 (three and five) and a
55 (five and five). 55 means "end of codes" or, if by itself, "No codes
stored. Check the codes and report what you find.

Old October 14th 04, 10:07 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old October 15th 04, 03:56 AM
Bill 2

"maxpower" > wrote in message
> a faulty sensor will cause rich problems, map, 02, , have the pcm scanned
> for possible fault codes

Or do a ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON and record the flashes of the engine light.

Old October 15th 04, 03:56 AM
Bill 2

Old October 15th 04, 12:47 PM
Mike

Throwing parts at it? Spark plugs are sometimes the simplest fault,
and cost $4.50CND for all four and take me about 10 mins tops to
change.
AS for the cold air intake, I will not argue with you on that one. I
know under almost every application, an CAI has been known to add a
little without affecting mileage or life of engine. (The down side is
noise.) But like I said, I will not argue with you on it as not all
add-ons work on every application. Prime example, throtle body
spacers, I done not believe they will do anything, but others beleive
it does.
Now, to the engine codes. The only codes I had when I checked it a few
months ago was A/C clutch sensor. I never use the A/C, so this is no
big issue.
I think I will take a closer look at the MAP and O2 sensors as
mentioned in one of the other postings. There has not been any error
codes displayed regarding then, but I will have then checked when I
bring the car into my neighbour's shops this following week.
Mike

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message in.umich.edu>...
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Mike wrote:
>
> > Any ideas how to resolved a 95 Neon SOHC 2.0l engine that is running
> > rich?

> You don't do yourself any favors by putting in a "cold air intake". That
> "mess of tubing, air box and baffle" needs to be there; put it back. With
> your Ricky Racer, Jr. "cold air intake", fuel economy will suffer,
> emissions and engine wear (via oil contamination) will increase.
>
> > If this was a carburator, the issue would be resolved, but because
> > everything is controlled by the ECU, I really do not know how to
> > resolve this issue.

> Same as always: Proper diagnosis and targeted repair. Your rich running
> could be caused by a number of rather minor and inexpensive faults, but
> guessing and throwing parts at it is the wrong way to do it.
>
> Start by checking the codes.
>
> To check the computer codes:
>
> With the engine off, switch the ignition key on-off-on-off-on,
> leaving it "ON". Do not
> go to "start", just "on" during this procedure.
>
> Watch the "Check Engine" or "Power Loss" light. It will turn on, then go
> off, then will begin to flash-out any trouble codes that have been stored.
> For instance, if it flashes:
>
> flash <pause> flash flash
> <long pause>
> flash flash flash <pause> flash flash flash flash flash
> <long pause>
> flash flash flash flash flash <pause> flash flash flash flash flash
>
> Then you have a 12 (one flash followed by two) a 35 (three and five) and a
> 55 (five and five). 55 means "end of codes" or, if by itself, "No codes
> stored. Check the codes and report what you find.

SIX POINT ROLL CAGE for Neon (No reserve) on eBay Myname Dodge 0 August 22nd 04 05:51 AM
Bad Mileage '04 Neon NG Dodge 6 June 1st 04 02:48 AM
96 Neon runnign rich Jason Dodge 0 May 24th 04 11:09 PM