Clump

Old January 14th 05, 05:15 AM
Dave Head

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:13:58 -0500, Nate Nagel > wrote:

>Dave Head wrote:
>
>> and those of the others as I move back into the right lane, or stay left, and
>> let 200 other cars (that probably shouldn't be going that fast anyway),which I

>that ain't your call to make, unless you're a cop.
>
>> encounter at the density of about 1 every 10 miles, pass on the right?
>>

>No. At a bare minimum, you move right to let the faster traffic pass.

If he flashes, I will. If he sounds the horn, I will. But not if he
cluelessly rolls up on my bumper at a 2 mph differential, indicating that in
all liklihood, if I get over, he'll just go duckling on my left rear wheel.

Old January 14th 05, 07:09 AM
Brent P

In article >, Dave Head wrote:
>>Actually,the leftmost lane is the most "dangerous".8-)
>>That's where most of the out-of-control vehicles from oncoming traffic end
>>up smacking into opposing traffic.

> Extremely, incredibly rare. But cops and hitchikers and bicyclists (AT NITE!
> WITHOUT LIGHTS!!!), and other pedestrians, and disabled vehicles which may or
> may not be all the way off the road... are not.

The left lane is where the wrong way drunks and seniors drive too.
And I see cops and broken down vehicles on the left about 40% of the
time.

Old January 14th 05, 07:09 AM
Brent P

Old January 14th 05, 11:04 PM
Dave Head

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:13:58 -0500, Nate Nagel > wrote:

>Dave Head wrote:
>
>> and those of the others as I move back into the right lane, or stay left, and
>> let 200 other cars (that probably shouldn't be going that fast anyway),which I

>that ain't your call to make, unless you're a cop.

Just glossed right over the numbers that have an extra 1800 lane changes being
performed on a 2000 mile trip for no good reason other than to satisfy an
archaic notion and/or religious treatment of the subject.

Old January 14th 05, 11:04 PM
Dave Head

Old January 14th 05, 11:10 PM
Dave Head

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:31:48 -0600, (Brent
P) wrote:

>In article >, Dave Head wrote:
>
>> Well, I think _you_ ought to be limited to about 20 mph until you regain some
>> perspective. Its just traffic, not a religion.

>You haven't read any carl taylor posts then. Amung those who would have
>us all driving 20mph, it is. Entirely faith based.
>
>>>2 miles later... not every other car as you propose.

>> 2 miles later happens in less than 2 minutes on most roads. Multiply that by
>> all the people driving like you, that are hopping back and forth, back and
>> forth just to satisfy some archaic notion, based on a law that was repealed
>> about 35 years ago.

>Repealed? It's the law in most states.

And totally unenforced, like some of the laws on the books that require someone
walking in front of an autombile within the city limits while ringing a bell
announcing the approach.

>IL made it's KRETP law tighter as
>of last year.

Tighter? As in bigger fines, I imagine. There's no arguing that the laws are
being more and more engineered simply as a revenue source. Yet, you likely
_still_ won't get stopped for it, especially if there's no one in the right
lane.

Old January 14th 05, 11:10 PM
Dave Head

Old January 14th 05, 11:20 PM
Dave Head

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:58:19 -0800, Garth Almgren > wrote:

>Around 1/13/2005 12:52 PM, wrote:
>> Which still creates a whole pile of lane changes.

>So? Who cares? Changing lanes is an integral part of driving.

As explained earlier, every overt act carries with it the possibility of going
wrong and causing an accident. I've seen some near misses as people try to
change lanes toward the center of 3 lanes, from the opposite sides. These
kinds of screw-ups are sometimes really hard to detect.

The best way to keep things from getting dangerous is to avoid doing things
that increase risk. Changing lanes increases risk. So, if someone is at the
90th percentile of speed, and encounters 2000 other cars, he's going to be
passing 1800 of them. The best thing to do then is to stay left, and allow
those 10% going faster go around on the right. That results in only 200 lane
changes (or lane change pairs) instead of 1800. Makes sense to me, and is done
without allegence to a mantra or a religeous approach. Nevermind the "ITS
ILLEGAL" bleat as anyone catching anyone at the 90th percentile of speed is
already illegal, anyway. Obey all the laws of forget about 'em.

>If you're so afraid of changing lanes, keep to the right and you'll
>rarely have to change lanes, except for those oddball left exits.

Noooo.... it doesn't work like that. Stay in the _left_ lane and never have to
change lanes (unless someone flashes or honks, which they NEVER do...)