92 explorer wont shift out of first

Old June 7th 05, 11:31 PM
ubobkw

Default 92 explorer wont shift out of first

My 1992 explorer doesnt seem to shift out of first gear. Its an automatic,
and I thought I heard somewhere that the shifting is controlled by a
vacuum hose? Any info will be appreciated, I hope Im not screwed. Thanks

Old June 8th 05, 06:35 AM
rhagfo

"ubobkw" wrote:
> My 1992 explorer doesnt seem to shift out of first gear. Its
> an automatic,
> and I thought I heard somewhere that the shifting is
> controlled by a
> vacuum hose? Any info will be appreciated, I hope Im not
> screwed. Thanks

The 1st to 2nd shift in the 92 Explorer is controlled by a
mechanical govnoer located in the tail shaft of the transmission. This
is easily affected by old dirty transmission fluid. The first thing to
try is have a complete fluid change. These cost more than the standard
drop the pan and replace the filter jobs as that only replaces about
25% of the fluid. The newer power flush jobs will do about 80 to 90%
of the fluid. If your current fluid is just old and a little dirty
this may work. If not you will need to drop the transfer case to reach
the governor, if the rest of the transmission is fine it is some what
easy to get to and clean.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict123555.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=601584