Got any Miata peeves? Or hidden likes?

Old June 4th 09, 02:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Default Got any Miata peeves? Or hidden likes?

So, we all know the Miata has driving fun covered. In a big way! But
what about things that are not so great? Or things you like that are
less talked-about. Here are some of mine!

Small peeves
- Horn
- Cup holder location (can live with it by now, though)
- Sun visors unscrew themselves (oh, and they barely do anything)

Medium
- Would be nice if I could beat a Camry in a straight line

Large
- noise, vibration & ride harshness, especially on textured interstate
(if not for this, I might not ever think about getting another fun
car)

Hidden like
- Trip odometer works in reverse

Old June 4th 09, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

on the na, the horn and the front license plate bracket are my only
complaints.
there doesn't seem to be a good solution for the license plate bracket and
so any city dweler that parallel parks will have a unpleasent looking front
dented up front plate. for the horn, this is a great remedy...
http://www.thompson-automotive.com/Air_Horn.html

Old June 4th 09, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

On Jun 4, 9:04*am, wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 06:27:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
> >Small peeves
> >- Horn

> Very easily replaced.
>
> >- Cup holder location (can live with it by now, though)

> Why would an actual sports car have a cup holder?

Okay, but aren't you at all glad the Miata has a useable trunk
(unlike, say, the Solstice)? Or almost never breaks down? Some
things may not be about being a "real" sports car, but some people
like having 'em.

> >- Sun visors unscrew themselves (oh, and they barely do anything)

> Which is why I removed mine the first day I had the car. 8
>
> >Medium
> >- Would be nice if I could beat a Camry in a straight line

> But that's not the point of a Miata. Imagine what the Miata would be like if it
> could out-drag every non-two seater in the world.

Hey, I'm not one of those guys who shoehorn a V8 in there. But can't
we do just a little better than 8 seconds 0-60? Judging from the
04-05 Mazdaspeeds and the NCs (as well as all the aftermarket stuff),
I'm not the only one who ever felt this way.

> >Large
> >- noise, vibration & ride harshness, especially on textured interstate
> >(if not for this, I might not ever think about getting another fun
> >car)

> Nor is interstate travel.

I don't go out of my way to do interstate, but sometimes it makes the
most sense.

> Honestly, you don't sound like a good match for a Miata.

Partial match, I guess. It's hard to beat for fun, and I certainly
like it well enough to be driving it for a while. But I can't swear
I'll never take a look at a used Boxster the rest of my life.
Old June 4th 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2009-06-04, Christopher Muto > wrote:

> on the na, the horn and the front license plate bracket are my
> only complaints. there doesn't seem to be a good solution for
> the license plate bracket

Depending on how picky the local constabulary is, simply
removing might be an option. I went for about 10 years w/o a
front license place and only got two "fix-it" tickets for it.
I put it back on last summer, and I promptly got two nice
little holes punched in my front bumper cover by the plate
mounting bolts.

> and so any city dweler that parallel parks will have a
> unpleasent looking front dented up front plate.

I've heard of people mounting them "in the mouth", but none of
the Miata's I've had could stand the reduction in air-flow
through the radiator on a hot day.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Gee, I feel kind of
at LIGHT in the head now,
Old June 4th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 13:53:32 -0400, "Christopher Muto" >
wrote:

>there doesn't seem to be a good solution for the license plate bracket...

Move to a state that doesn't require a front plate?

Depends on your definition of "good," I guess. 8

-- Larry
Old June 4th 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Christopher Muto wrote:
> on the na, the horn and the front license plate bracket are my only
> complaints.
> there doesn't seem to be a good solution for the license plate bracket and
> so any city dweler that parallel parks will have a unpleasent looking front
> dented up front plate.

looking at the4
site you provided i found a front plate solution,,,well kinda.
look under the last red line at the bottom
http://www.thompson-automotive.com/T...tive_Home.html

for the horn, this is a great remedy...
> http://www.thompson-automotive.com/Air_Horn.html

yes, i like waking up the twits who drift...my 93 bmw k1100 lt bike
sounds like a 68 buick
Old June 4th 09, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

this is a direct link...

http://www.thompson-automotive.com/D...ing_plate.html