Accident

Old September 27th 04, 12:41 PM
Brian Turner

Default Accident

Well, 15 days after buying my first Miata some lady in an F-150 pickup
ran into the rear of my car and might have totaled it. Much body
damage and mechanical damage of the rear differential and driveshafts.
She hit me hard enough that her airbag went off. Luckily, I am OK.
Although I think she was on her cell phone and just not paying
attention to anyone on the road I hope this is not going to be a
regular thing with this car. I have heard that Miatas can be
invisible. I plan to have the car fixed, if possible, and if we get
the money we will buy another Miata. It took a while to find this one
and it was in great shape. She ruined several tours we had planned
for the month of October.

Brian Turner
Old September 27th 04, 01:36 PM
jchase

Brian Turner wrote:
> Well, 15 days after buying my first Miata some lady in an F-150 pickup
> ran into the rear of my car and might have totaled it. Much body
> damage and mechanical damage of the rear differential and driveshafts.
> She hit me hard enough that her airbag went off. Luckily, I am OK.
> Although I think she was on her cell phone and just not paying
> attention to anyone on the road I hope this is not going to be a
> regular thing with this car. I have heard that Miatas can be
> invisible. I plan to have the car fixed, if possible, and if we get
> the money we will buy another Miata. It took a while to find this one
> and it was in great shape. She ruined several tours we had planned
> for the month of October.
>
> Brian Turner

That's really lousy luck. I have been driving mine for 5 years and
haven't been hit, although I've had a few people nearly change lanes
into me.

I do drive defensively, and since my car is not very visible (silver), I
tend to leave the parking lights on in anything but full daylight.

If I were you, I'd get back to your dealer and pick another one!

Joe
Silver '99

Old September 27th 04, 09:07 PM
JohnMcGrew

In article >,
(Brian Turner) writes:

>I have heard that Miatas can be invisible.

I seriously doubt that in a rear-end incident that you could have been
"invisible" to anyone with their eyes on the road. Clearly, she wasn't paying
attention. Sorry about your loss. Hope you can find an as-good replacement.

When driving mine, I've always been concious of the reality that in many
situations, I would not be as visible to other cars as I would be in a larger
automobile, and I drive accordingly. I think the most vulnerable aspects are
when you are passing somebody in their blind spot, when your lower height might
escape the attention of somebody about to change lanes. Also, I think that you
might be less visable in certain head-on situations.

I also tend to avoid driving mine after dark. My closest call came one evening
when travelling down a 4-lane at 65mph. A car at an intersection decided to
pull right in front of me. I don't know if it was because he didn't see me
altogether, or because of the low-to-the-ground and relatively narrow
headlights he thought I was slower and further away than I really was. I
sharply swerved into the next lane with nary a complaint from the tires. Had I
been in my SUV, (or any other car for that matter) I never could have made that
manuver, and most likely would have plowed straight into him broadside. (at
least he would have been the goner and not I)

Years ago, Consumer Reports commented on accident statistics for small
convertibles, and were surpised to find that they were at least as good, if not
better than larger passenger cars. I atttribute this to this to better
manuverability (more stable turning and braking making for more agressive
avoidance manuvers) and improved situational awareness with the top down (no
blind spot). The only good accidents are the ones you can avoid altogether.

I've only been in one serious auto accident in my life, and I know that had I
been driving a Miata at the time, I would have avoided it too.

John
Old September 27th 04, 10:38 PM
Larry Gadbois

Many new owners of Miatas have accidents. The car is very safe and durable,
but there are some defensive driving strategies that Miata drivers learn as
they get some miles on their cars.

The Miata has a shorter stopping distance than most larger vehicles, and it
looks like it is farther away to a vehicle approaching from the rear. If
you see the traffic is slowing or stopping ahead, slow down early and watch
the car behind you. Sometimes pumping the brake to flash your lights will
alert the driver behind. In a panic stop, allow extra space in front of you
to prevent being "sandwiched", and to give yourself a chance to change lanes
or pull off the road. When waiting at a stop light without a stopped car
behind you, you may get rear-ended. It happened to me. I allowed space
between my car and the car ahead, but I was unable to pull forward enough to
eliminate the tap on the bumper ($1000.)

Watch out for cars backing out of parking places at mall and grocery store
lots. Many use their rear view mirrors and are unable to see a Miata with
the top down. Don't drive in the blind spot of a car in the lane next to
you. If you pass on the right be extra cautious. Expect SUVs, trucks, and
other large vehicles to turn left in front of you, because they are unable
to judge your speed or distance. Never back up to allow cut-through traffic
in your lane.

om...

Old October 1st 04, 09:50 PM
Me

Very simple rule. Never assume anything. Even good drivers have bad
days. Saved my ass on a number of occasions, especially on the bike.

JJ

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:38:28 GMT, "Larry Gadbois"
> wrote:

>Many new owners of Miatas have accidents. The car is very safe and durable,
>but there are some defensive driving strategies that Miata drivers learn as
>they get some miles on their cars.
>
>The Miata has a shorter stopping distance than most larger vehicles, and it
>looks like it is farther away to a vehicle approaching from the rear. If
>you see the traffic is slowing or stopping ahead, slow down early and watch
>the car behind you. Sometimes pumping the brake to flash your lights will
>alert the driver behind. In a panic stop, allow extra space in front of you
>to prevent being "sandwiched", and to give yourself a chance to change lanes
>or pull off the road. When waiting at a stop light without a stopped car
>behind you, you may get rear-ended. It happened to me. I allowed space
>between my car and the car ahead, but I was unable to pull forward enough to
>eliminate the tap on the bumper ($1000.)
>
>Watch out for cars backing out of parking places at mall and grocery store
>lots. Many use their rear view mirrors and are unable to see a Miata with
>the top down. Don't drive in the blind spot of a car in the lane next to
>you. If you pass on the right be extra cautious. Expect SUVs, trucks, and
>other large vehicles to turn left in front of you, because they are unable
>to judge your speed or distance. Never back up to allow cut-through traffic
>in your lane.

. com...

Old October 8th 04, 05:06 PM
Mark Stilley

I have owned my 1990 bright "red" since April I have been tapped 2 times.
1st was a jerk at a stoplight talking on his cell phone went after the light
changed unfortunately I hadn't had time to move yet No damage done. The
second time siting waiting for a left turn light the guy in front of me
backs up by the time I realized what was happening and hit the horn bump.
He was driving a Ford Taurus and said he didn't see me because the car was
so low. In that case I believe him I pulled up behind my 1998 S10 truck and
cannot see even a little of the Miata out the mirrors. In my case no damage
was done but yeah they are hard to see in the rearview from a normal vehicle
that's why I prefer to kick in the supercharger and get in front of
everything else on the road avoids that problem
"Brian Turner" > wrote in message
om...
> Well, 15 days after buying my first Miata some lady in an F-150 pickup
> ran into the rear of my car and might have totaled it. Much body
> damage and mechanical damage of the rear differential and driveshafts.
> She hit me hard enough that her airbag went off. Luckily, I am OK.
> Although I think she was on her cell phone and just not paying
> attention to anyone on the road I hope this is not going to be a
> regular thing with this car. I have heard that Miatas can be
> invisible. I plan to have the car fixed, if possible, and if we get
> the money we will buy another Miata. It took a while to find this one
> and it was in great shape. She ruined several tours we had planned
> for the month of October.
>
> Brian Turner

CAR ACCIDENT – WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS HERE? JEDI General 3 December 13th 04 07:35 PM
Truck accident... bizarre legalities... Goo Driving 4 December 6th 04 05:06 AM
Information on Accident in PA Terry Garyet General 1 November 29th 04 06:06 AM
L300 accident Art Saturn 3 November 5th 04 03:23 PM
Vehicle in an accident, estimated time for repair? gorda General 3 May 22nd 04 06:07 PM