Damn Sneaky Cops!!

Old March 5th 05, 08:52 AM
jaybird

Default Damn Sneaky Cops!!

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> This morning on Santa Margarita Parkway, a co-worker of mine was
> driving in to work. He topped a slight rise in the road, and saw a cop
> car at the bottom of the hill. A peace officer was standing next to
> the driver's side window of the car, writing a ticket. Hammer down
> time, right?
>
> WRONG.
>
> As my co-worker got closer, he saw a SECOND cop sprawled out over the
> hood of the police car, a radar gun in his hands. Had he chosen to
> speed up because the first cop was busy, he'd have been nailed by the
> second cop.

So just slow down.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 5th 05, 01:52 PM
Dave Head

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 08:52:54 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
.. .
>> This morning on Santa Margarita Parkway, a co-worker of mine was
>> driving in to work. He topped a slight rise in the road, and saw a cop
>> car at the bottom of the hill. A peace officer was standing next to
>> the driver's side window of the car, writing a ticket. Hammer down
>> time, right?
>>
>> WRONG.
>>
>> As my co-worker got closer, he saw a SECOND cop sprawled out over the
>> hood of the police car, a radar gun in his hands. Had he chosen to
>> speed up because the first cop was busy, he'd have been nailed by the
>> second cop.

>So just slow down.

Sure... just take a bunch of extra time getting where you're going, letting the
flowing sands of your life drain away while experiencing a totally useless
delay created by the government setting speed limits way too low so they can
collect billions of dollars a year in traffic fines, not to mention the
circumvention of the 4th amendment by making _everyone_ subject to police
investigation.

This is the USA's biggest government corruption. Other governments take bribes
from everyone with money - we just rape travelers to do the same thing...

Dave Head

Old March 5th 05, 03:54 PM
Michael

Puhlease... just don't break the law and you won't get "raped."

Now, whether the speed limits need to be raised or not... that's a
completely different question. (They do)

Old March 5th 05, 05:13 PM
Dave Head

On 5 Mar 2005 07:54:15 -0800, "Michael" > wrote:

>Puhlease... just don't break the law and you won't get "raped."

Hey, my time is valuable. My safety is even more important. Obeying the speed
limit will get me nailed from behind to a much greater risk than staying with
traffic, which is at least 10 over most anywhere you want to name, and, better
yet, driving somewhat faster than they do. I seem to have an exception to the
rule locally, as people here _aren't_ 10 over, so I am. Well, no, actually I'm
about 7 - 8 over, and still blow off most everyone around here. Driving a bit
faster than the traffic is the safest. But of course, that's what the highway
robbery is all about.

>Now, whether the speed limits need to be raised or not... that's a
>completely different question. (They do)

Of course. But that'd cost (government) billions, and save (taxpayers)
billions, but nobody cares about the latter.

Dave Head
Old March 5th 05, 05:47 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Dave Head" > wrote in message
> On 5 Mar 2005 07:54:15 -0800, "Michael" > wrote:
>
>>Puhlease... just don't break the law and you won't get "raped."

> Hey, my time is valuable. My safety is even more important.

<snip>

Driving the speed limit won't get you a ticket (assuming driving conditions
warrant it, ice and traffic jams notwithstanding). It may cost you a minute
or two more time than if you sped. But how much time does it cost to sit
stewing in your car while a LEO writes you up?

Driving a bit
> faster than the traffic is the safest. But of course, that's what the
> highway
> robbery is all about.

Except for in small, rural towns, where would you get pulled over for going
a bit faster? It's the folks who do 11+ over who get pulled over.

>>Now, whether the speed limits need to be raised or not... that's a
>>completely different question. (They do)

> Of course. But that'd cost (government) billions, and save (taxpayers)
> billions, but nobody cares about the latter.

Except in an election year.

Old March 5th 05, 08:04 PM
Dave Head

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 17:47:54 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>"Dave Head" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On 5 Mar 2005 07:54:15 -0800, "Michael" > wrote:
>>
>>>Puhlease... just don't break the law and you won't get "raped."

>> Hey, my time is valuable. My safety is even more important.

><snip>
>
>Driving the speed limit won't get you a ticket (assuming driving conditions
>warrant it, ice and traffic jams notwithstanding).

Naw, it just:

1) Increases my chance of getting hit from behind because I'm an obstacle to
the prevailing traffic flow, and

2) Make all the cops wonder why I'm driving so slow, and assuming I have
something to hide, so will _still_ want to figure out a reason to pull me over.

>It may cost you a minute
>or two more time than if you sped.

If its the 1st day of my vacation, and I'm covering the usual 1000 - 1200
miles, then it amounts to hours.

>But how much time does it cost to sit
>stewing in your car while a LEO writes you up?

That's extremely rare.

>> Of course. But that'd cost (government) billions, and save (taxpayers)
>> billions, but nobody cares about the latter.

>Except in an election year.

Not even then - not on this issue.

Dave Head

Old March 6th 05, 04:38 AM
The Real Bev

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

> Driving the speed limit won't get you a ticket (assuming driving conditions
> warrant it, ice and traffic jams notwithstanding). It may cost you a minute
> or two more time than if you sped. But how much time does it cost to sit
> stewing in your car while a LEO writes you up?

Over a lifetime? Negligible if you aren't too outrageous about it.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 7th 05, 03:20 AM
DTJ

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 17:47:54 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>Driving the speed limit won't get you a ticket (assuming driving conditions
>warrant it, ice and traffic jams notwithstanding). It may cost you a minute
>or two more time than if you sped. But how much time does it cost to sit
>stewing in your car while a LEO writes you up?

Bull**** argument that only a total ****ing moron would make.

Let me see, by your logic it is best to wait behind the wheel or my
car for years out of my life on the off chance that one day I just
might have to pay a small fine.

By my logic I shave hours off my commute every week, and haven't even
been pulled over in years. Further, the last few times I have been
pulled over the cop was too ****ing stupid to actually write a ticket.
Old March 5th 05, 05:55 PM
Bill 2

"Dave Head" > wrote in message
> On 5 Mar 2005 07:54:15 -0800, "Michael" > wrote:
>
>>Puhlease... just don't break the law and you won't get "raped."

> Hey, my time is valuable. My safety is even more important. Obeying the
> speed
> limit will get me nailed from behind to a much greater risk than staying
> with
> traffic,

That's because you drive in the left lane, if you stay in the right lane, it
shouldn't be a problem.

Old March 5th 05, 08:42 PM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Bill 2" > wrote in message

> "Dave Head" > wrote in message
> > On 5 Mar 2005 07:54:15 -0800, "Michael" > wrote:
> >
> >>Puhlease... just don't break the law and you won't get "raped."

> > Hey, my time is valuable. My safety is even more important. Obeying

the
> > speed
> > limit will get me nailed from behind to a much greater risk than staying
> > with
> > traffic,

> That's because you drive in the left lane, if you stay in the right lane,

it
> shouldn't be a problem.

Regardless, drivers should be using safe following distances (i.e., 2
seconds or greater) in any lane. But just staying out of the left lane
doesn't help.

I see "divebombing"--that is, accelerating as close as possible to the car
in front and then braking suddenly at less then 1 second following
distance--in the #2, #3, and sometimes even the #4 lane when no trucks are
in that lane in the immediate vicinity... on the Southern California
interstate highways I drive on a regular basis.

That, along with the apparently lack of speed enforcement by the police, is
why others are essentially forced to speed with the flow of traffic, or else
get their commute severely impeded by unsafe big rigs in the rightmost lane
that really should be on the surface streets rather than the interstate
highways.

However, based the length of most of the onramps here that have yet to be
upgraded--65mph is the right speed limit, because that's the speed most
non-turbo cars will achieve by the time the solid line becomes a dashed
line. Otherwise, scenarios already occur where a speeding lunatic is passing
80+ mph interstate traffic flow in the right lane doing 90 mph--and here
comes the merging car that just got up to 65 mph as the merge lane comes to
an end. The higher the speed limits are raised, the greater the chances are
that more deaths will occur on the freeways because the following distances
are NOT increasing as speeds get higher.

So my own opinion is no, the speed limits do not need to be raised, thank
you very much. Most drivers noawdays use dangerous driving "skills"--just
tune into KNX 1070 AM in California and listen to the frequent accidents in
the Los Angeles area on a daily basis as one point of solid evidence of the
"skills" of today's drivers: solo spinouts, multicar pileups in lanes,
overturned vehicles in lanes, etc.