mystery solved, faith in humanity misplaced.

Old January 7th 05, 05:47 AM
Nate Nagel

Default mystery solved, faith in humanity misplaced.

I've always wondered about something... One of the ways I go to work (I
sometimes vary my route to break up the monotony, but the one I'm
describing is the shortest route, thus the one I generally take) takes
me down a somewhat windy, somewhat hilly 2-lane road. Now this road has
literally two cross streets through something like a seven mile stretch,
no houses on it, nothing but trees and the occasional service entrance
(it's federal land.) It's not particularly technically challenging; the
curves and hills are for the most part very gradual and obvious.
However, invariably, at least once a month I will find a car or truck
stuffed impressively deep into the woods. I ask myself "how does this
happen?" I don't understand; I could probably drive that road at over
100 MPH and still not exceed the dynamic limits of my vehicle. (not
that I've done that, of course, but I have on occasion exceeded the
posted speed limit of 45 MPH, especially when passing slower traffic.)

Well tonight, I have one idea of how that could have happened. I was
coming home from a job site and hit this stretch of road at about
11:30ish. As soon as I got off the Parkway, I knew I'd made a mistake;
the fog was literally so thick that I couldn't see past the beam cutoff
of my headlights. (I'm running E-codes.) Usually reflected/scattered
light gives really impressive range, but the fog shut it right down.
High beams were, obviously, useless, and the fog lights did a good job
of helping me see the road better but didn't extend my visible range one
bit. So I settle in at a speed where I feel I'm not outdriving my
lights, which is about 35-40 MPH, sometimes less.

Of course, within minutes, there's a Range Rover right. on. my. ass.

Eventually he goes away. He's replaced almost instantly with a newer
Cavalier. This guy is even more impatient. Now we're back on a main
road with stop lights - at every light I can hear him revving his engine
behind me like he wishes I'd accelerate faster away from the stoplight.
He finally goes away. He's INSTANTLY replaced by a new-ish Ford
truck who does the exact same thing (minus the revving) but this time
the guy pulls up so close behind me at each light that the top part of
his headlights are cut off by the top of my rear window.

Of course, the whole time, it is literally impossible to see anything at
all half a city block away and in the distance I can hear at least two
different emergency vehicles with their sirens on. I think I understand
now; I'm surrounded by ****ING MORONS.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 7th 05, 09:15 AM
Brent P

In article >, Nate Nagel wrote:
> Of course, the whole time, it is literally impossible to see anything at
> all half a city block away and in the distance I can hear at least two
> different emergency vehicles with their sirens on. I think I understand
> now; I'm surrounded by ****ING MORONS.

In chicago's recent snow I've experienced the same thing. I drop my
speeds considerably, which just brings out the morons.
Old January 7th 05, 09:15 AM
Brent P

Old January 7th 05, 04:46 PM
AZGuy

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 00:47:52 -0500, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>I've always wondered about something... One of the ways I go to work (I
>sometimes vary my route to break up the monotony, but the one I'm
>describing is the shortest route, thus the one I generally take) takes
>me down a somewhat windy, somewhat hilly 2-lane road. Now this road has
>literally two cross streets through something like a seven mile stretch,
>no houses on it, nothing but trees and the occasional service entrance
>(it's federal land.) It's not particularly technically challenging; the
>curves and hills are for the most part very gradual and obvious.
>However, invariably, at least once a month I will find a car or truck
>stuffed impressively deep into the woods. I ask myself "how does this
>happen?" I don't understand; I could probably drive that road at over
>100 MPH and still not exceed the dynamic limits of my vehicle. (not
>that I've done that, of course, but I have on occasion exceeded the
>posted speed limit of 45 MPH, especially when passing slower traffic.)
>
>Well tonight, I have one idea of how that could have happened. I was
>coming home from a job site and hit this stretch of road at about
>11:30ish. As soon as I got off the Parkway, I knew I'd made a mistake;
>the fog was literally so thick that I couldn't see past the beam cutoff
>of my headlights. (I'm running E-codes.) Usually reflected/scattered
>light gives really impressive range, but the fog shut it right down.
>High beams were, obviously, useless, and the fog lights did a good job
>of helping me see the road better but didn't extend my visible range one
>bit. So I settle in at a speed where I feel I'm not outdriving my
>lights, which is about 35-40 MPH, sometimes less.
>
>Of course, within minutes, there's a Range Rover right. on. my. ass.
>
>Eventually he goes away. He's replaced almost instantly with a newer
>Cavalier. This guy is even more impatient. Now we're back on a main
>road with stop lights - at every light I can hear him revving his engine
>behind me like he wishes I'd accelerate faster away from the stoplight.
> He finally goes away. He's INSTANTLY replaced by a new-ish Ford
>truck who does the exact same thing (minus the revving) but this time
>the guy pulls up so close behind me at each light that the top part of
>his headlights are cut off by the top of my rear window.
>
>Of course, the whole time, it is literally impossible to see anything at
>all half a city block away and in the distance I can hear at least two
>different emergency vehicles with their sirens on. I think I understand
>now; I'm surrounded by ****ING MORONS.
>
>nate

Ah come on, you don't really expect anyone to believe you are just
*now* figuring out that you are generally surrounded by morons,
****ing ones at that, when you are out on public streets.
--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House
of Representatives, August 17, 1789
Old January 7th 05, 04:46 PM
AZGuy

of Representatives, August 17, 1789
Old January 8th 05, 12:09 AM
Ulf

Nate Nagel wrote:
> I've always wondered about something... One of the ways I go to work (I
> sometimes vary my route to break up the monotony, but the one I'm
> describing is the shortest route, thus the one I generally take) takes
> me down a somewhat windy, somewhat hilly 2-lane road. Now this road has
> literally two cross streets through something like a seven mile stretch,
> no houses on it, nothing but trees and the occasional service entrance
> (it's federal land.) It's not particularly technically challenging; the
> curves and hills are for the most part very gradual and obvious.
> However, invariably, at least once a month I will find a car or truck
> stuffed impressively deep into the woods. I ask myself "how does this
> happen?" I don't understand; I could probably drive that road at over
> 100 MPH and still not exceed the dynamic limits of my vehicle. (not
> that I've done that, of course, but I have on occasion exceeded the
> posted speed limit of 45 MPH, especially when passing slower traffic.)
>
> Well tonight, I have one idea of how that could have happened. I was
> coming home from a job site and hit this stretch of road at about
> 11:30ish. As soon as I got off the Parkway, I knew I'd made a mistake;
> the fog was literally so thick that I couldn't see past the beam cutoff
> of my headlights. (I'm running E-codes.) Usually reflected/scattered
> light gives really impressive range, but the fog shut it right down.
> High beams were, obviously, useless, and the fog lights did a good job
> of helping me see the road better but didn't extend my visible range one
> bit. So I settle in at a speed where I feel I'm not outdriving my
> lights, which is about 35-40 MPH, sometimes less.
>
> Of course, within minutes, there's a Range Rover right. on. my. ass.
>
> Eventually he goes away. He's replaced almost instantly with a newer
> Cavalier. This guy is even more impatient. Now we're back on a main
> road with stop lights - at every light I can hear him revving his engine
> behind me like he wishes I'd accelerate faster away from the stoplight.
> He finally goes away. He's INSTANTLY replaced by a new-ish Ford
> truck who does the exact same thing (minus the revving) but this time
> the guy pulls up so close behind me at each light that the top part of
> his headlights are cut off by the top of my rear window.
>
> Of course, the whole time, it is literally impossible to see anything at
> all half a city block away and in the distance I can hear at least two
> different emergency vehicles with their sirens on. I think I understand
> now; I'm surrounded by ****ING MORONS.

LOL. Well, you do see better if you're behind someone than if you're the
first car. This reminds me of when I was driving in a snow storm about a
month ago. Driving in the left lane passing everyone I saw great thanks
to everyone else's headlights, but after I finally managed to get to the
front of the pack realized I couldn't see ****. Ended up slowing down
from 75 to 35mph and I *still* couldn't see anything, didn't even know
in which lane I was. Fortunately, looking out the side window I saw the
center guardrail and was able to judge where on the road I was. Of
course, when I got home I noticed that the whole front of the car was
covered in a 1/2 inch layer of snow and ice, including the headlights.
So much for European headlights...

> nate

Ulf
Old January 8th 05, 12:09 AM
Ulf

Nate Nagel wrote:
> [...]
> different emergency vehicles with their sirens on. I think I understand
> now; I'm surrounded by ****ING MORONS.

LOL. Well, you do see better if you're behind someone than if you're the
first car. This reminds me of when I was driving in a snow storm about a
month ago. Driving in the left lane passing everyone I saw great thanks
to everyone else's headlights, but after I finally managed to get to the
front of the pack realized I couldn't see ****. Ended up slowing down
from 75 to 35mph and I *still* couldn't see anything, didn't even know
in which lane I was. Fortunately, looking out the side window I saw the
center guardrail and was able to judge where on the road I was. Of
course, when I got home I noticed that the whole front of the car was
covered in a 1/2 inch layer of snow and ice, including the headlights.

Ulf
Old January 8th 05, 12:13 AM
Nate Nagel

Ulf wrote:

> LOL. Well, you do see better if you're behind someone than if you're the
> first car. This reminds me of when I was driving in a snow storm about a
> month ago. Driving in the left lane passing everyone I saw great thanks
> to everyone else's headlights, but after I finally managed to get to the
> front of the pack realized I couldn't see ****. Ended up slowing down
> from 75 to 35mph and I *still* couldn't see anything, didn't even know
> in which lane I was. Fortunately, looking out the side window I saw the
> center guardrail and was able to judge where on the road I was. Of
> course, when I got home I noticed that the whole front of the car was
> covered in a 1/2 inch layer of snow and ice, including the headlights.
> So much for European headlights...

BTDT got the T-shirt. I remember that happened to me on I-70 near
Hancock one night. Scary stuff! All alone on the road and my
headlights are dim little things. Stopped in Breezewood and scraped off
a good half inch of slush. Much better.

I wonder if I put the 90/100s in if they would get hot enough to prevent
this effect

nate

Old January 8th 05, 12:13 AM
Nate Nagel

Old January 8th 05, 12:24 AM
Ulf

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Ulf wrote:
>

>> LOL. Well, you do see better if you're behind someone than if you're
>> the first car. This reminds me of when I was driving in a snow storm
>> about a month ago. Driving in the left lane passing everyone I saw
>> great thanks to everyone else's headlights, but after I finally
>> managed to get to the front of the pack realized I couldn't see ****.
>> Ended up slowing down from 75 to 35mph and I *still* couldn't see
>> anything, didn't even know in which lane I was. Fortunately, looking
>> out the side window I saw the center guardrail and was able to judge
>> where on the road I was. Of course, when I got home I noticed that the
>> whole front of the car was covered in a 1/2 inch layer of snow and
>> ice, including the headlights. So much for European headlights...
>>

> BTDT got the T-shirt. I remember that happened to me on I-70 near
> Hancock one night. Scary stuff! All alone on the road and my
> headlights are dim little things. Stopped in Breezewood and scraped off
> a good half inch of slush. Much better.
>
> I wonder if I put the 90/100s in if they would get hot enough to prevent
> this effect

Actually, I finally got off my ass a couple of days ago and changed the
55w+40% H1's to the 100w I bought this summer. Definitely more light,
but the left beam looks weird. Not sure if it's just too much dirt on
the lens, or if I bulb isn't seated correctly. I also need to aim them,
right now I think I have a negative drop. :-/

> nate

Ulf