OT - '98 626ES-V6, 65K miles - Timing belt?

Old June 25th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default OT - '98 626ES-V6, 65K miles - Timing belt?

My 1998 626ES-V6 now has approximately 65,000 miles on it.

The dealer suggests I replace the timing belt now, or soon.
I know it's a pretty profitable service for him, but he hasn't
tried to sell me any unnecessary repairs in the past.

Some tell me to change it; others to wait awhile.
What's the opinion of members here?

TIA,
Christopher Platt
New York

Old June 25th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> Some tell me to change it; others to wait awhile.
> What's the opinion of members here?

In addition to the mileage, the belt is now 8 years old. I would change
it. I would have changed it at 60k, in fact. Other parts in there
deserve a look, too: the water pump, idler pulleys, seals, etc.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old June 27th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I have a 1995 626 with 135,000 miles on it and I haven't yet changed the
belt. I bought the car new and the car has required almost no maintenance
other than oil changes, tires, 2 batteries and disk pads. I have a 4
cylinder engine with a manual transmission. The car has driven mostly
freeway miles in 5th gear. I think you need to consider the type of driving
as well as the miles. 60,000 miles in the city would put more wear on a
belt than maybe 120,000 miles driven on freeways.

oups.com...

Old August 26th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Art McGinn

i face a similar question. our '91 just turned 140k. we bought it at
107k, and the timing belt had been replaced at around 80k, as i recall. the
car runs true and tight. one source says change the belt every 105k,
another (miata garage) every 60k. i gather the worst that could happen if
the belt breaks is that....it breaks. no engine meltdown or busted pistons,
the apparatus being non-interference. the temptation is to just keep going
and see what happens, calling if necessary that faithful companion over the
years, the triple-a tow truck guy. bad idea? thanks for any thoughts. art

"news" > wrote in message
>I have a 1995 626 with 135,000 miles on it and I haven't yet changed the
> belt. I bought the car new and the car has required almost no maintenance
> other than oil changes, tires, 2 batteries and disk pads. I have a 4
> cylinder engine with a manual transmission. The car has driven mostly
> freeway miles in 5th gear. I think you need to consider the type of
> driving
> as well as the miles. 60,000 miles in the city would put more wear on a
> belt than maybe 120,000 miles driven on freeways.
>
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> My 1998 626ES-V6 now has approximately 65,000 miles on it.
>>
>> The dealer suggests I replace the timing belt now, or soon.
>> I know it's a pretty profitable service for him, but he hasn't
>> tried to sell me any unnecessary repairs in the past.
>>
>> Some tell me to change it; others to wait awhile.
>> What's the opinion of members here?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Christopher Platt
>> New York

Civic timing belt deflection duckbill Honda 5 April 5th 06 02:28 AM
Timing belt followup. B.B. Technology 6 April 2nd 06 06:39 AM
Water pump or timing belt problems with ATQ V6 30V Engine? Mark VW water cooled 7 January 15th 06 11:35 PM
How to bypass seat belt alarm in 05 Town & Country? Father of the Year Chrysler 53 June 30th 05 01:23 AM
cautionary timing belt tale jim beam Honda 1 March 15th 05 03:57 AM